Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rough running or just a Big Thumper? (Read 291 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rough running or just a Big Thumper?
Reply #15 - 09/15/15 at 12:52:59

Yep, the modern multi grade oils are better......However 70 degree oil is not thrown around or pumped through the engine the same way it is when it gets up around 200+ degrees.

I also believe the oil is being pumped twice as fast at 2,000 rpm as it is at 1,000 rpm....and that the rod bearing is more capable of throwing oil at the piston/cylinder at operating speeds.

I'm just not a fan of letting cold engines idle until they get up to operating temperature.  When I hear about folks who start their bikes up and let them idle for 30 minutes in the winter to keep the battery charged up and keep the fuel in the carb fresh - I just can't believe that is a good thing.  I drain the fuel, remove the battery.....let it take the winter off.  I put the battery on a tender occasionally...but not continuously.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 09/15/15 at 16:47:58

Accelerating, I generally go up to 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and on the 5-speed, 5th at 50. That's probably 60 - 65% of redline at the shifts but when done with a good handful of throttle it out-accelerates most cars by a good margin.

I ride the neighborhood at night doing neighborhood watch going 25 or so in second and the bike sails along like an old Cushman delivery bike but with enough rpm on to accelerate strongly without lugging. It is a very pleasant and relaxing spot on a Savage.

25mph in third is technically lugging if you try to accelerate. My 2 cents. Other folks who say rev higher are right, too. But I like the 20 stands for 2nd, 30 stands for 3rd, and so on up.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 09/15/15 at 17:04:36

youngde811, first off...welcome to the forums! You wont find a greater wealth of information about the Savage/S40 anywhere else in the world. Most of these guys are also "career riders" and can help with basic questions about riding.

I also live in Raleigh....down south of 1010 Rd. (which is technically below Garner so how it becomes Raleigh again is a mystery to me). There are lots of old farms and gentle hills/twisties out this way. I'm an old goat that just picked up riding again this summer after a 25 year absence, and believe me....it is NOT like riding a bicycle. I've also got a small 250cc Honda Nighthawk and just the difference between the 2 bikes is pretty huge. You cant throw around the Savage like you can that little 250. Seating position is different, pegs are in a different spot, bars are much lower and thinner....sorta like driving a ford Taurus and then hopping into an Opel. Turn radius, shifting patterns, counter-steering methods, braking distances....it's all different.

Did you do the Motorcycle Safety Course at Wake tech yet? If not, I would strongly recommend it. It will be worth every cent.

Happy riding!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/15/15 at 18:07:21

Dave, I agree with a lot of what you said. I always got it started in cold weather, then put the helmet on and rode off. Summer, all dressed, hit start, adjust idle, ride..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #19 - 09/15/15 at 18:08:19

Well I approached the Idle, Warm-up, a different way.

Being new to this, (old style) engine, and learning a tremendous amount from the people here, that have, ‘Been their, Done that”.

Idle, needed to be fast, 1,200 + rpm, enough at start up, to adequately Lube the upper half of the engine.
That accomplished 2 ways, Pull out the Choke, or increase the throttle screw.

As I (used to), drive a truck which had a ‘choke’, foot pedal, (gas/throttle), and, a ‘hand’ throttle, which could be set.
I looked at the problems and solutions., and modified.

Problem, when I increased the throttle screw, the bike ran to high when warmed up.  Didn’t want to keep the Choke out, (to warm up), 1. Didn’t need a choke to start, 2. Didn’t want the extra gas washing the oil off the Cyl.

So, a Shim.  With bike warmed up, set the screw to about 1050RPM.
Then a little piece of alum, (started with 1/16 inch thick).
When bike was cold, opened throttle, set the shim between the throttle screw, and cable end, and started.
(Just took a couple of draws with a rasp, to get to the right thickness, so when, ‘with shim’, Idle, ‘Cold’, was at about 1,400).
Then took a piece of sturdy string, put it through a hole in the shim, and around something close.

Now, I shim it, start it, Put on jacket, helmet, gloves, (30-40 sec),
drive it  down the drive, (‘bout 200 yards), Not touching the throttle,
(It’s at about 11-11.5 MPH, driving in 1st, no throttle, other than the, shim’.)
stop, check traffic, and go.  As soon as I twist the throttle, the ’shim’ just drops out.
(and hangs their waiting till the next, cold, start)
It is about 1.4 miles one way and 1.6 miles the other, till a stop sign.
As that point, engine warm enough, the the idle is back to a comfortable 1,050 +/-

May work for you, may not.
But it works for me.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 09/15/15 at 20:06:16

I've never believed in warming up any engine - carb'd or EFI. As long as it runs without stalling and you take it easy for the first few miles, the engine will warm itself up anyway. As has been mentioned, idle time during a cold start may not be good for your bearings anyway.

I ALWAYS use the choke/fuel enrichment knob when starting the bike - even in the summer. You can tell from how the throttle performs when the engine is warmed up enough to push the choke back in. I leave it out for 2 or 3 miles until the engine runs smoothly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 09/15/15 at 20:08:55

MnSpring:

If I'm reading that correctly, you shimmed the throttle "more open" at idle. When you twist the throttle, it falls out. How ingenious!  Wink

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #22 - 09/15/15 at 21:18:51

So czeckmate, that's an interesting gearing table you listed. Third gear all the way up to 50? I've not tried this before. I'm in fourth by the time I get to 50. In fact, I tend to shift this way:

0 - 10 first
10 - 25 second
25 - 35 third
35 - 50 fourth
50+ fifth.

quite different. So am I lugging the engine?

Cheers, David

IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 09/15/15 at 21:23:30

Hi BoogieWthStu. I'm scheduled to take the MSF course this October. Looking forward to it.

Cheers, david

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #24 - 09/16/15 at 19:20:46

Kris01 wrote on 09/15/15 at 20:08:55:
MnSpring: ...   ..."you shimmed the throttle "more open" at idle. When you twist the throttle, it falls out. ..."
..."

Yea, it take about 2-4 sec,  I am already bent over  turning the key on,  so it works.

The end result is, higher Idle at start up, lower idle at Warm up.

Thar is a photo of it it somewhere,  IF you want I can do another on one.  

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 09/17/15 at 20:03:54

Thanks. I think I have a pretty good mental picture. Sometimes the easy solutions get overlooked.  Wink

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #26 - 09/18/15 at 15:48:45

My bike will cool enough on a twenty minute ferry ride that, at times, I have to enrich if I don't want to crank it too long.

I always put it in neutral to alleviate clutch wear too.

But I too need a few minutes on it,  or my bike will ride funky, original jetting and screw still virgin, never changed mixture setting....  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 09/18/15 at 16:07:05

There are a couple of intermediate detents on the choke knob. From the inside one, it will pull itself the rest of the way in as you ride. At least that's true on mine.

But anyway, full choke isn't your only choice. If the idle seems too high you can see if it will idle smoothly on a partial setting.

In this warm weather my bikes will take partial choke as soon as they start.

I've been using it since reading all the worries on this board about "cylinder washed with gasoline..."

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 09/18/15 at 16:21:46

I agree with Chzeckmate as far as the speeds go. I've had my S40 for about 4 years now and I now that I used to lug it when I first started riding it.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 09/18/15 at 17:43:34

If you "lug" the engine, it gets really loud and knocks very strongly. Otherwise, you're probably doing fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rough running or just a Big Thumper?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.