Carb settings 24B20 (Read 67 times)
Netroxen
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki bei Tag,
Savage bei Nacht.

Bayern, Germany
Carb settings 24B20
09/14/15 at 15:58:19

Well I've been looking all over the forum and even in the service manuals but it doesn't seem like I can find any references for my carburetor...

The ID tag says 24B20 ^ F642 on the carb body.

Does anyone know where I can find the default settings for this carb?
I'm at a loss, sorry if I've missed something on this forum. Google doesn't bring up any results...

Thanks fellas!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Carb settings 24B20
Reply #1 - 09/14/15 at 19:19:15

Is it a Mikuni BS40?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #2 - 09/14/15 at 19:21:11

I searched for 24B20 and it appears to be part of a part definition for a lot of the LS650 parts listed.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Netroxen
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki bei Tag,
Savage bei Nacht.

Bayern, Germany
Reply #3 - 09/15/15 at 03:10:30

Ok, I took some pictures of it. Maybe you guys can shed some more light on this. I looked on the body but that's the only part designation I could find.

It also has a needle which I can't find in any of the diagrams, I'm guessing it's for leaning out the fuel mixture since it's so long. Is it supposed to be installed with the spring and washer into the hole?

IP Logged
Netroxen
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki bei Tag,
Savage bei Nacht.

Bayern, Germany
Reply #4 - 09/15/15 at 03:30:08

It seems you're right, this is a BS40 - Just came across this diagram and it's the closest to what I have so far.

http://s600.photobucket.com/user/serowbot/media/rerun/Mikuni_101web.jpg.html

Edit:

Ok, I read up under the tech forum and it seems that this needle is the pilot screw if I'm correct? I'm guessing this is an '87 carb so the settings say it should be 3 turns out from full lock. I think I've got this figured out... I hope!

Sorry for all the silly questions, I'm not a mechanic so a lot of this is trial and error for me...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/15/15 at 03:44:19

The long needle should have a spring, small metal washer, and O-ring installed on the long piece.  Sometimes the O-ring stays in the carb body when the needle is removed.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

It looks like somebody really boogered up the screwdriver slot when they drilled out the brass plug that blocked access to the screw.  I would suggest you buy a new screw, springs and the 2 washers.  If you put that one in and it stays there for a while....it may get a bit of corrosion and be hard to remove with the damaged slot.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Netroxen
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki bei Tag,
Savage bei Nacht.

Bayern, Germany
Reply #6 - 09/15/15 at 03:48:18

That's awesome, thankyou for explaining this to me! I have only one small problem though, the O-Ring is missing. Can I install the needle without it or is there a substitute I could use instead?

Edit:

Actually I bought this savage to last me through the winter and as a first bike. It was running fine before, but it didn't have the brass plug in there. You think it'll last for a few months without the plug?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/15/15 at 05:31:48

The rubber O-ring does 2 things.  It seals the screw and keeps air from bleeding past the needle - and it is compressed by the spring and puts pressure on the needle to keep it from vibrating out.  The metal washer goes between the spring and O-ring to keep the spring from damaging the rubber.

If the brass plug you are talking about is the one that goes over the screw - you don't need it.  It was installed to keep you from adjusting the carb - which is a government mandate.  You are much better off being able to adjust the carb when needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb settings 24B20

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.