IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: stock airbox cover mod
Reply #16 - 09/16/15 at 19:14:44

hotprops wrote on 09/16/15 at 11:51:26:
Justin do you mean the air inlet rectangle plastic thing ? iridium plug looks good.

It's rubber, on top.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 09/16/15 at 21:44:11

hotprops, I did not NEED to re-locate the rectifier/regulator unit at all. My bike has 4K miles on it.

I moved it because I am looking at going with a single solo seat, and the rect/reg would have been visible/exposed. Some guys like the RYCA converts just slap it on top of the battery box or inside the airbox. I opted for a more creative solution. It took a while to get it how I liked it visually, but it wasnt :difficult" at all and cost me less than $20 for all of the parts. Job was done with basic hand tools.

I have read of R/R's going bad, but never read a story where one failed "prematurely" unless the bikes wiring had been messed with. They are fairly durable units.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 09/19/15 at 12:48:10

Pull the snorkel and the inner door from behind the right side panel. I run a solo seat and an FLH rear fender on my 03 (as I did on my deceased 98 custom). You will have to dial out a bit of low/mid "bog", unless you wait for the bike to get fully warmed up before riding. Once the engine is warm, there is absolutely no difference in operation (rejetted +1 on both, no white spacer modifications).

Have had 2 Savages, both with the airbox door and snorkel removed, reg rec in the airbox.  The 98 lasted 25K or so before the electrical system melted down, the 03 is going strong closing in on 50K. The 98 burned up courtesy of an alternator issue.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 09/23/15 at 02:46:51

I made the polyfil high flow filter and removed my airbox door.  It makes a slight performance improvement under certain riding conditions.  There is plenty of space between the metal cover and the door to allow for more airflow.  I don't have any flat spots and I ride in the wet all the time and no issues with that either.  There's a lot more debris getting caught by the filter, but I've got tons of polyfil left so I can make a clean filter anytime I like.  I'd recommend trying it.

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/16/15 at 21:44:11:
...I have read of R/R's going bad, but never read a story where one failed "prematurely" unless the bikes wiring had been messed with. They are fairly durable units.

I'm not sure what prematurely means, but mine certainly failed at 12.5k miles and no wiring had been messed with.  It happens, but you're right that it shouldn't be a general concern.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #20 - 09/25/15 at 10:26:18

Yeah chzeckmate...I would consider 12K "pre-mature". Luckily that seems to be the exception.

They arent radically expensive...I bought a spare when I first bought the bike (was in a grab bag of spare parts). Since it is plug-n-play I keep it in my saddlebags.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #21 - 09/28/15 at 06:52:18

I'm in the process of fitting an old Triumph filter as I've covered the snorkel intake with wiring and solenoid with my single seat bobber conversion.

Will report back when fitted.

I remember the days when we used to remove these filters from The Bonneville and replace with 'Bell-mouth' intakes - ie. no filter at all!

I wonder what it did to the engine in the long term - the sound from the intakes when opened up was tremendous

filter pic:

Triumph_filter.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 09/28/15 at 08:08:49

marekbuk wrote on 09/28/15 at 06:52:18:
I remember the days when we used to remove these filters from The Bonneville and replace with 'Bell-mouth' intakes - ie. no filter at all!

I wonder what it did to the engine in the long term - the sound from the intakes when opened up was tremendous

Well.....those old bike could barely go 20,000 miles without complete engine overhauls.  Today the bikes can last far longer if you keep  clean oil and clean air going into them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 09/28/15 at 11:36:41

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/25/15 at 10:26:18:
Yeah chzeckmate...I would consider 12K "pre-mature". Luckily that seems to be the exception.

They arent radically expensive...I bought a spare when I first bought the bike (was in a grab bag of spare parts). Since it is plug-n-play I keep it in my saddlebags.

When I had a Ford van, the electronic ignition was controlled by a module on the inner fender. No fixing that, and they did, occasionally, puke. A buddy saw one at a garage sale, five bucks. We unhooked mine, plugged it in, worked,, It stayed in the van for about seven years, never needed it. BUT,  five bucks, for that peace of mind?
I'd do it again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:33:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stock airbox cover mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.