Send Topic Print
stock airbox cover mod (Read 348 times)
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
stock airbox cover mod
09/14/15 at 10:23:15

stock s40 and it looks like like not much air can get past all the wires and one of those little square tack thingy s   i put there. so thinking of drilling the removable airbox cover i am sure the guys on here have some good ideas so i will wait to get some advice , thx

IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: stock airbox cover mod
Reply #1 - 09/14/15 at 10:49:09

The plastic airbox cover can be removed entirely with no real problems, since unfiltered air can't get around the filter itself.  You'll just have to make sure nothing builds up in there.  It will change the sound of the engine under load, you'll realize just how loud the intake is.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/14/15 at 10:58:18

I removed the Rubber snorkel on top. I had a cam , Supertrapp, modified header, jets, airflow easily kept up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/14/15 at 12:01:56

Occasionally even the most careful rider will get caught in the rain, and sometimes those storms can be pretty intense.  Add to that the spray from your tires and the traffic in front of you....and there isn't too many places that won't be receiving a good water bath while you are riding.

The stock airbox is designed to keep water out of the carb inlet box when you are either caught riding in the rain....or the bike is sitting in the rain.  When you start cutting/drilling on the filter box - you are compromising the "waterproofing" of the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #4 - 09/15/15 at 12:00:50

dave good point .i have to look for the removable thing on the top also what about a few holes drilled on the top of the cover? my airplane has its filter up front and center and actually likes a little water shoved down its intake .it also had a paper filter for many years. just looking for the best way of doing this.thx

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/15/15 at 12:33:17

You could always just pop the door off....and see if the additional air flow makes any difference in the way the bike runs.

I know it will make a difference in the way the bike sounds under full throttle....as you will hear the engine intake noises more.

Do some timed full throttle runs.....say high gear from 50 - 70 mph uphill or something similar.  This will help you see actual results....and not just the change in sound.  Sometimes these changes can make flat spots that actually slow the bike down - but it feels faster as you can feel the surge when the bike leaves the rpm where the flat spot occurs.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/15/15 at 12:36:29

hotprops wrote on 09/15/15 at 12:00:50:
My airplane has its filter up front and center and actually likes a little water shoved down its intake.

I learned to fly in a 1946 8A Luscombe, and I remember the little square air filter being right up front.

I had never really thought about what happens to that filter when it is raining! Shocked  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 09/15/15 at 15:06:04

You could always look in the for sale section and see if anyone is selling an old airbox after modding to cafe' or bobber.
Then use the old cover and drill one, then drive, then two, drive, ect.. and find the best "atmosphere".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 09/15/15 at 16:47:23

There is an actual scientific term for what you are describing. It's called "re-inventing the wheel".

So when you say you installed a "little square tach thinghy" I am going to take a leap and guess you have one of those cheapo LCD tachometers mounted under the seat? Just laying on top of all the wiring, or is it secured? If that is the case, couldnt you just extend the wire and put it on the fender behind the rectifier/regulator?

Regardless, the engineers at Suzuki designed the air intake for maximum fuel economy and best performance under many different driving conditions. But YOU think your carb needs more air? Are you having performance issues?

If you are a tinkerer and just want to mess with it for kicks, that's cool. having had some carb issues I try to stay away from messing with the air/fuel stuff, but hey.....knock yourself out Cool

I wouldnt think that drilling holes in the interior plastic filter cover would do jack due to the metal cover that goes over the top of it....or were you planning to swiss cheese the metal cover as well? That I think, would be a mistake unless you louvered it and screened it somehow. I'm usually a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" kinda guy, but that's just me.

I recently moved my rectifier/regulator from under the seat to the area where the tool bag usually goes. I was worried about it getting too hot so I cut a couple of 2" holes in the chrome cover and installed some vents. I'll post a pic below.
A vent like that mounted on the metal side cover might work and not be as susceptible to rain and road debris.

battery_cover_mod2_001.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #9 - 09/15/15 at 22:10:39

thanks Stu, all info here is good . i only use the tach to adjust idle and keep track of hours between service. it is the one from northern tool not the china ko. more air is always good ,lack of is not so good ,it will take only what it NEEDS . so for now i will wait for some more ideas. so your rectifier ,charger must have  been broken thus you did all that work ,and i am now worried that must be taken care of asap . please explain why i should put this  on the top of the list, of things to do  . thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/15/15 at 22:55:11

Have you pulled the snorkel?
If you think it needs air, then it is rich.
How's your plug?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #11 - 09/16/15 at 11:51:26

Justin do you mean the air inlet rectangle plastic thing ? iridium plug looks good.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/16/15 at 12:47:53

You do realize that for most throttle settings....there is not going to be any difference in performance.  Even when cruising down the interstate at 70 mph you likely don' have more than half throttle...and the stock air cleaner and air box are not causing a restriction.

At some point high in the rpm range at full throttle.....maybe it causes some reduction in the amount of airflow into the engine - I really don't know.  It could be that the CV carb and mild cam really are not affected by the air box.....the only way to know for sure is to do some acceleration testing and find out.  If there is more air made available at high air flow conditions (full throttle and high rpm) - then you may have to install a richer main jet to compensate for the extra airflow.

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #13 - 09/16/15 at 13:09:17

ok just got a idea  i hooked up a sensitive vacuum gauge to the puke tube and started it up. gauge was pulling 1/4 inch at high rpm .i think 0 is the correct #    this is with the air filter out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/16/15 at 13:47:07

hotprops wrote on 09/16/15 at 13:09:17:
ok just got a idea  i hooked up a sensitive vacuum gauge to the puke tube and started it up. gauge was pulling 1/4 inch at high rpm .i think 0 is the correct #    this is with the air filter out.

The puke tube (drain) is on the engine side of the air filter element.....not sure if you will ever get that to read 0.  Insert the hose from the vacuum gauge down through the snorkel so it is on the other side of the filter, and that will show you if the snorkel inlet is causing any restriction....or if the air filter element is the only measurable restriction.

It would be nice if somebody did the same test with the K&N drop in element....and confirmed that it allows more air flow than the stock paper filter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:33:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stock airbox cover mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.