Battery Ground (Read 173 times)
Horn Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery Ground
09/13/15 at 18:11:49

Help please,
In removing the battery from my 2006 S40, the ground wire came out with the battery and with just the last inch of the wire bare. So I'm not sure where to attach the ground wire to. Will any part of the metal frame work? I haven't been able to locate where it was attached too. The ground wire does not look original, but looks like twin 14 gage lamp cord twisted together.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Battery Ground
Reply #1 - 09/14/15 at 04:39:24

Attached, hopefully, is a picture of the mount point.

You can see 3 bolts in a triangle.
The allen head bolt on the left attaches the motor mount to the frame.
The top center is the original mount point for the ground wire.  You can see the terminal lug and wire.  It is attached to the engine case.
The shiny one on the right is a clutch cover bolt.

You can also attach the ground wire from the battery to ANY point on the frame or engine that provides an EXCELLENT connection.
« Last Edit: 09/14/15 at 10:24:16 by youzguyz »  

IMG_20150914_062054.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/14/15 at 10:01:20

I hafta wonder just how hard was pulling that battery....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #3 - 09/14/15 at 12:46:46

If it wasn't the stock wire then there's a good chance that it wasn't connected well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/14/15 at 12:54:34

The most current flow it gets is when the starter is working. The starter gets     power from the solenoid, and grounds to the case. Ground carries every amp passing through the starter. A crummy ground is as bad as a crummy hot lead connection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Horn Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/14/15 at 17:46:42

Thanks Youzguyz for the photo. It certainly helped. On my 2006 the ground wire comes up on the left side and ends with a nut and bolt where the wire to the battery was just rapped around the bolt. That's where the rusty bare wire came off. There's also a thin maybe 20 gauge wire that looks stock, going off to another location. I'll put new wire and connectors on a new battery in the morning and take it out for a spin. Thanks to all who responded.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/14/15 at 18:39:33

what gauge wire are you gonna use?

IP Logged
Horn Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/15/15 at 05:51:03

I'll be using 10 gauge wire I have in my box from amateur radio equipment.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/15/15 at 06:58:39

If it's as heavy as the positive side, it'll do..
What kinda radio you into? I used to have, twenty five years ago, a CB in the house, sixty feet to antenna tip..I have a Halicrafters shortwave, but, never did the ham leap. You sound , based on the post, having ten gauge laying around,  sounds like ham,,

IP Logged
Horn Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/15/15 at 13:13:16

I was a shortwave listener back in the 80's. Radio New Zealand was my favorite. Then in the 90's, I was going to buy a scanner, when a friend said I could buy a scanner with a 2 meter transceiver in one hand held unit. So I went for it. Got licensed, the rest is history. Today I mainly operate on HF and talk with other hams living throughout the Caribbean daily on nets. My favorite is the Friendly 7.188 net, on LSB on daily from 10 to 12 UTC (6 to 8 AST). Your welcome to listen in on you classic Hallicrafter rig.  73, from KP2Z

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/15/15 at 18:03:18

Thanks for the info and invite,but,I'm CST, and that's just a little early for me. I'm rarely doing anything that early, but, I will make a note of it and put it up by the radio.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:14:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Ground

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.