Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LED Headlight option? (Read 568 times)
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Re: LED Headlight option?
Reply #15 - 09/11/15 at 16:32:57

I haven't really noticed stress on the arms, i have them connected to the rubber part as tight to the fork mount as possible. The bounce is minimal, no more than the bike vibrating would do anyway.

I only got high beams flashed at me once early on and i lowered the aim just a tiny tiny amount and haven't been flashed at since so i assume its ok.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 09/11/15 at 19:50:32

GridMonkey wrote on 09/11/15 at 16:32:57:
I haven't really noticed stress on the arms, i have them connected to the rubber part as tight to the fork mount as possible. The bounce is minimal, no more than the bike vibrating would do anyway.

I only got high beams flashed at me once early on and i lowered the aim just a tiny tiny amount and haven't been flashed at since so i assume its ok.

Cool!  I feel really good about it.  I'm going to go ahead with it.  I'll post pics when it's done.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 09/12/15 at 22:16:55

I do have a high beam on the tri-shaped LED....

When on low beam it lights the top two thirds of the bulb area, and on high the base LED kicks in to give a full span of light.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 09/13/15 at 02:14:23

old_rider wrote on 09/12/15 at 22:16:55:

When on low beam it lights the top two thirds of the bulb area, and on high the base LED kicks in to give a full span of light.

Where did you get your LED bulb?  Any other info?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 09/17/15 at 03:57:44

When you install the LED bulb......some of them just don't provide the upper cut off that prevents the light from shining upwards, and into the eyes of the drivers coming toward you.  This is true not only in our motorcycles - but also in cars (I am sure you have all seen those cars/trucks that have been converted and look like they have their brights on).

The Honda ST forum has a thread where folks are modifying their LED lights to provide the upper cut off that the original bulbs have.  It involves making and attaching some small shields to prevent the light from spilling out where it shouldn't be going.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146534-How-to-modify-H4-led-to...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 09/17/15 at 07:41:30

youzguyz wrote on 09/13/15 at 02:14:23:

This is the link he gave previously...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-6000K-18W-Hi-12W-Lo-Light-For-Harley-Ka...

I had this in my bike for the 1st texas run as well.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 09/17/15 at 07:44:12

Dave wrote on 09/17/15 at 03:57:44:
When you install the LED bulb......some of them just don't provide the upper cut off that prevents the light from shining upwards, and into the eyes of the drivers coming toward you.  This is true not only in our motorcycles - but also in cars (I am sure you have all seen those cars/trucks that have been converted and look like they have their brights on).

The Honda ST forum has a thread where folks are modifying their LED lights to provide the upper cut off that the original bulbs have.  It involves making and attaching some small shields to prevent the light from spilling out where it shouldn't be going.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146534-How-to-modify-H4-led-to...

Dave their pic's are too tiny for me to even copy and paste into another app to see whats going on.
Do you have access to larger pic's? (I click on them and they want me to log in)   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 09/17/15 at 10:29:38

Sorry....I guess you have to be a member to open the thumbnail.

Here are 2 of the photos that shows how they are building tiny deflectors to limit where the light goes.

Notice on the wall shot on the left how much light is spilling upwards and would be in the eyes of oncoming traffic.   The photo on the right shows how the little deflector they built keeps the light from going up above the horizontal cut off.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 09/18/15 at 13:33:14

Gridmonkey, I looked at those lights when I was going over the "how to get more light in the front of the bike without burning up the R/R bla bla bla" phase. The 3 mode operation of these lights is what turned me off.

There are hundreds of different vendors that sell over a dozen different variations of these lights on eBay. Different housings, colors, brackets, etc...but the thing they all have in common is the "strobe" effect. If that mode could be removed or disabled, these lights would be worth twice the price they are asking for them (to me anyway).

I'm fairly certain that the operational modes are controlled by an on-board microchip, so modifying them is likely not possible....but being a techie and a tinkerer, I'm gonna order one just to play with.

Btw, another way to power these would be to use the front running light power wire. I have 2 "daylight visible" amber running lights that attach to the forks. They pull about 1.2 watts of actual power (x2). So, the original stalk running light/turn signals would just function as turn signals. The 2 custom amber LED lights on the forks and these spotlights could be powered by the old "running light" wire.

The original running lights pull roughly 9 watts each. The new configuration with daylight amber LEDs and these spotlights would pull approximately 10.5 watts per side on low beam, and say...13 watts per side on high beam.

That is only an increase of 8 watts total on the system (worst case) and only a 2 watt increase during most driving. I dont think that is enough to harm the Regulator/Rectifier balance (although I am willing to entertain the possibility that I'm wrong). After all, the OEM headlight goes from 35 watts on low beam to 55 watts on high beam. Thats a 20 watt swing, and doesnt seem to hurt the system any.

Just thinking out loud here...don't mind the rattling noises.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 09/18/15 at 16:58:33

youzguyz wrote on 09/13/15 at 02:14:23:

Here is what I did on the wife's bike.... I show the box it came in at the beginning of the video.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #25 - 09/18/15 at 22:13:23

Boogie,

I actually like the strobe option, ive switched over to a bar mounted momentary normally closed switch, that takes power from the low beam circuit since that's using the other led, just to pop through the modes with a push so its pretty quick.

http://98.124.154.122/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=switch_mounts&sid=5q9...

is where i got the swtiches. But back to the strobe mode, i use it during  super bright sunny days just as an extra eye grabber.

IP Logged
bkercher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/15/16 at 15:00:36

koehlerrk - did the ebay bulb work on the bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/16/16 at 04:04:09

This thread is a bit out of date.....more info has come along since it was started.  The following thread is a bit more up to date:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1453064396/0

The bottom line is that if you are going to get an LED bulb, make sure it has the shields that provide a vertical cut-off for the low beam light.  This vertical cut off is what keeps the light from shining in the eyes of the other drivers, and it is what makes the difference between your stock low and high beams - the low beam has a vertical cut-off that keeps the light from shining in folks eyes.

The following bulb set has a shield installed.
http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-6500K-Easy-Installed-4500LM/dp/B017M56...

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #28 - 06/12/16 at 19:13:17

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:31:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight option?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.