Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
LED Headlight option?
09/10/15 at 07:43:44

Here is a possible solution to a custom LED headlight.  It is all self contained, has a high/low beam, and even includes a mount that could easily be adapted to the Savage.  The face can have either a chrome or black background.  One downside is that there is no housing - so there is no place to hide the wiring at the front of the bike where the turn signals, ground wires and wiring harness connect.....you might need to relocate those connections or make a small box to hide them.  (The light is just a bit too "high tech" looking for the kind of look I want....which is more vintage).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-led-bulbs/7-round-led-sea...

7-inch-round-driving-light-insert-bracket-led-work-light-store.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Re: LED Headlight option?
Reply #1 - 09/10/15 at 09:41:16

Draws 91 watts but only delivers 1600 Lumens? Very inefficient since most 60 watt LED lights deliver in the 6000 Lumen range. Here's one I'm ordering to try on my bike, and if it doesn't fit, I'll order a second one and drop them into the wifes' car. Draws 30 watts, 3000 Lumen output.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Motorcycle-Bike-LED-Cree-Headlight-Hi-Lo-H4-9003-...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/10/15 at 10:52:40

If you want a bulb in the stock housing......other options are likely cheaper.

I just threw this thing up for those who have a broken headlight bucket, lens or reflector - and needed an entire light assembly.

If the light is truly 91 watts....that might be too much for the Savage electrical system.  The data attached to that light also lists 40.5 watts as the power draw......so maybe while on low beam it only consumes half what it does on the high beam.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/10/15 at 11:45:41

dave, not dot approved, take a look at the light pattern, a lot of light is too high.
91 watts is probably equivalent incandescent luminosity, 40 watts current draw.
I believe the HID lamp I got was 3000 lumins which was 3x, this is 1600 so 1.6x.
K, not a true Hi/Lo bulb, all elements were on 1 side.  Hi lights up the bottom of the bulb and Lo lights up the top.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/10/15 at 12:25:25

Does anybody make an LED light bulb that can be installed in a reflector that was designed for a filament bulb....and is DOT approved...or properly controls light patterns?

When we were on the Dragon run this year MMRanch, Adam and I were coming home after dark one night.....and several bikes absolutely blinded me with their LED light show.  It is not uncommon for the big Cruiser boys to have an LED headlight and another LED running light on each side of the headlight (3 total) - but one obnoxious fellow had the LED Headlight, another on each side of the headlight........and another LED light on each side of the crash bar - He had 5 LED lights blaring at me!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/10/15 at 12:44:20

Harlet must make one as it's available from factory that way.
And being that LED are a single point light source, should not be that hard to place them so they replicate a halogen bulb.
Even my 3 chip light does a fairly good job of it.
but spot lights might not be, and if they aim them wrong...
Since they are the same as Hi's, why are they running them?

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/10/15 at 12:51:09

Dave wrote on 09/10/15 at 12:25:25:
Does anybody make an LED light bulb that can be installed in a reflector that was designed for a filament bulb....and is DOT approved...or properly controls light patterns?

When we were on the Dragon run this year MMRanch, Adam and I were coming home after dark one night.....and several bikes absolutely blinded me with their LED light show.  It is not uncommon for the big Cruiser boys to have an LED headlight and another LED running light on each side of the headlight (3 total) - but one obnoxious fellow had the LED Headlight, another on each side of the headlight........and another LED light on each side of the crash bar - He had 5 LED lights blaring at me!

I've looked for H4 LED bulbs that are DOT compliant.   So, far, this is the only one I found (just now).  Looks like it might be too deep for the bucket.
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/h4_led_bulb_h4_led_headlight_bulbs

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/10/15 at 12:55:45

Here's another:
http://www.carid.com/plasmaglow/led-headlight-conversion-kit-mpn-h4-led.html

I wonder if any of these are ok for motorcycle use?  I seem to remember reading that on H4 packages before.

This is interesting:
http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/H4_9003.pdf

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 09/10/15 at 13:21:33

Another option is to replace the 5 1/2 in headlight with a 7 in one and then use the Trucklite Phase 7 LED light. I have the Phase 7 on my Street Glide and it is way better than stock.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/10/15 at 17:39:08

Paladin had a really cool, old looking, looked like it belonged on a narrow gauge locomotive.. headlight.. and a seat that wouldn't cause hurt after hundreds of miles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #10 - 09/10/15 at 18:59:32

Like 12Bravo, I too have a TruckLite 7" LED. Looks much better than the "wall" of diodes most LED headlights sport. Light output is good, it uses only 23 watts on low beam, and it's DOT approved. TruckLite part number 27270C.

Only down side? $$$$$

Value is in the wallet of the beholder. Only reason I went with it is to free up some watts for a fuel injection conversion.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #11 - 09/10/15 at 20:02:29

I've posted in the past about this headlight bulb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-6000K-18W-Hi-12W-Lo-Light-For-Harley-Ka...

it works quite well and keeps the pattern, mostly, there is a bit of spill compared to a filament,  but can be fairly well controlled with just a bit of tip down on your focus screws. just fyi i'm a theatre tech with an emphasis is lighting design so i know my optics/reflectors, ect. There is a screw that you need to change out the mount plate with that allows you to move the diode in and out, just a bit, compared to the focus point of our reflectors that can help too.

I also two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-12V-30W-CREE-U2-LED-Fog-Spot-Laser-Head-Li...

that are tied into my low beam circuit and they are clamped to the top of my front turn signals aimed lower but still quite a ways down the road. I've had them all for this whole season and i've been flashed once by oncoming and i've ridden behind friends in cages and on bikes and never had anyone tell me it was too much. In bright daylight i run them flashing, night time if i'm in high traffic i run them low and the rest of the time i use them on high. I have to flick my high/low headlight switch to change modes but it works for me.

cheers

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/11/15 at 00:07:15

GridMonkey wrote on 09/10/15 at 20:02:29:
I've posted in the past about this headlight bulb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-6000K-18W-Hi-12W-Lo-Light-For-Harley-Ka...

it works quite well and keeps the pattern, mostly, there is a bit of spill compared to a filament,  but can be fairly well controlled with just a bit of tip down on your focus screws. just fyi i'm a theatre tech with an emphasis is lighting design so i know my optics/reflectors, ect. There is a screw that you need to change out the mount plate with that allows you to move the diode in and out, just a bit, compared to the focus point of our reflectors that can help too.

I also two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-12V-30W-CREE-U2-LED-Fog-Spot-Laser-Head-Li...

that are tied into my low beam circuit and they are clamped to the top of my front turn signals aimed lower but still quite a ways down the road. I've had them all for this whole season and i've been flashed once by oncoming and i've ridden behind friends in cages and on bikes and never had anyone tell me it was too much. In bright daylight i run them flashing, night time if i'm in high traffic i run them low and the rest of the time i use them on high. I have to flick my high/low headlight switch to change modes but it works for me.

cheers

I've been looking at doing exactly what you have done here. I wonder if you'd be willing to put up some driver's view photos of what you're seeing with your setup at night.  I'd be very interested to see what the potential improvement looks like from your point of view.  You might alleviate my hesitation.  Thanks a bunch!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #13 - 09/11/15 at 10:12:38

Sure, just have to find the thread,

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1434338766/6#6

Is my post with some pics, the whole thread has some good images, Oldrider installed the same headlamp, doesn't have the side lights though.

hope it helps

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 09/11/15 at 15:37:05

GridMonkey wrote on 09/11/15 at 10:12:38:
Sure, just have to find the thread,

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1434338766/6#6

Is my post with some pics, the whole thread has some good images, Oldrider installed the same headlamp, doesn't have the side lights though.

hope it helps

Definitely helps, thanks!  I'm curious...Do you notice any stress on the signal arms from mounting the cree lights there?  Does the light bounce or is it all nice and stable?  Does the light from the headlamp bother oncoming traffic that you've noticed?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight option?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.