Oil leak on crank case? (Read 36 times)
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Oil leak on crank case?
09/10/15 at 05:43:11

** I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this... I couldn't find one as navigation in this forum is new to me***

I have been tracking down all the leaks on my bike. So far I have a head plug leak, speedo cable leak, and now this. Here is a small video as this will show better than I can explain. In the video it shows the build up on the bottom but it seems the leak is coming from the cluster of wire coming from the crank case housing. And it just follows the tube of wiring and builds up on the low end.
http://youtu.be/jGZWBQne33Y

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil leak on crank case?
Reply #1 - 09/10/15 at 06:11:52

Most likely the leak is from the wire bundle coming out of the left side engine case (stator/ignitor).

You can either drain the oil from the crankcase - or lay the bike over on the right side (fuel mostly empty or tank removed), and then take the cover off.  You may need a new gasket.....so better get one in advance.  Once the cover is off you need to clean things up and remove all the oil, apply an RTV gasket sealant to the rubber plug and wires that pass through the case, and then with the new gasket bolt things back together.  Don't overtighten the small screws as they strip out easily....I use a 1/4" ratchet set when installing these screws.

The only other leaky thing in that area is the front pulley seal, and it normally only leaks if the pulley is loose (check it).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil leak on crank case?
Reply #2 - 09/10/15 at 09:04:52

You're gonna have clean the whole area then ride a few minutes and reinspect to find the leak.
I can be coming from anywhere.  And could be coming from above as the drain hole from the starter is above there.
Here's an alternate way...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953
I wouldn't go above 10 psi.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak on crank case?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.