Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My son's "new" Intruder 1400 (Read 181 times)
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
My son's "new" Intruder 1400
09/08/15 at 20:41:48

My 21-year-old just bought his first bike; a 1994 Intruder 1400. I have a 2014 S40 (stock) and I'd hoped he go for the 2004 Savage I'd found for him. Nope. Had to have the Intruder. He's fearless and will ride anywhere, anytime. I ride with him occasionally and he's yet to learn the art of riding together -- leaves me in his wake every time. It was supposed to be a Dad/Son thing for us to do.

Not really looking for answers to this one. Just ranting...

Cheers, David

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My son's "new" Intruder 1400
Reply #1 - 09/09/15 at 06:17:25

When it breaks down, and he needs help fixin' it, he'll be your best friend...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/09/15 at 06:20:50

It is perfectly natural for a young buck to want to outdo his elders, it is built into his genes .....

Take him to the mountains and trounce his butt in the curvies -- it will be a proper humbling experience.

On the last trip I kept passing Jeb and it drove him nuts because he couldn't do anything about it.    He had the better bike, and he KNEW that.

The last time we went to Huddle House for breakfast he KNEW he was going to get there first because he was second in line and I was two spaces behind him ..... but no, when he pulled into the parking lot I was already there.    I could tell from his face he was puzzled, so when we took our helmets off I calmly told him the wisdom of the ages ......

"Old men cheat."

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/09/15 at 21:19:17

When I was twenty one I woulda been waiting at the destination for you.
When I drive, I make time, I walk fast when I'm not feeling like crap..He's riding, you're riding, next time you guys are going for a ride, when you've decided on the destination, leave early,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 09/09/15 at 21:28:44

Well that's no fun. Might as well ride separately. I think we should stick together and the few time we ride together he should slow down for his Old Man. Hell I financed the darn thing by lending him the money.

Arghh.

d.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/09/15 at 21:51:14

Hell I financed the darn thing by lending him the money.

Hmmmm, interesting reasoning.

I know you said you weren't hunting answers, but have you considered just sitting down and telling him that you can't keep up and you really wanna ride together?
And, try not to bring in
You owe it to me,I financed it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 09/10/15 at 02:09:06

Hi Youngde811, congrats for the son having his bike!
AND
Don't be sad because he wanted a biger bikem, as Oldfeller said, it's in the genes to try and outdo your Dad.

Do give him a hard time on the twisties, but not too hard, you don't want him to drop it, you'd both lose.

Tell you what, suggest / win a challenge and swap bikes on the way home, and make sure he gets to try the Savage in the twisties.
I too tried the Intruder, an M90 and it was heaven in a straight line and hell on the twisties !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 09/10/15 at 16:55:16

Good advice about asking him to ride slower for Dad's sake. And right, definitely keep the financing out of it. I'm really glad he has the bike; he really loves riding. And he seems to be a natural. Maybe the twisties are a good idea as well.

I'd like him to take the MSF class with me (I've taken it once and am taking it again in October). Don't think he'll do it though. He's very confident in his skills after riding all of four weeks.

david

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/10/15 at 17:10:24

The Dragon can fix that " can do anything" attitude. He might not care for the lesson though.  But he would learn the lesson that it teaches.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 09/19/15 at 13:29:52

He'll be begging for a Savage the first time he needs to swap the aircleaners on his Intruder (almost have to pull the engine to get them changed out). Or when it needs a new battery, and he decides not to unhook the cables and pull 2 lower bolts, but instead tries dropping the exhaust and battery box...

The cartoon style Intruders-Shadows-Vulcans are decent when they are working right. Once one thing breaks, he'll quickly find that he should have listened to you.

There is an 800 Intruder with 16K on it rotting away behind the garage. I could probably track down why it gets no power to the ignition system or fuel pump, but, I'd rather my wife buy something decent and user friendly to replace it. Then I can swap the front forks and 21" front wheel where they belong, onto my already modified Savage.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 09/19/15 at 14:27:49

Great post. I wish he'd listened to me but I guess he had to "out-do" Dad. Funny thing is if he'd bought the Savage he'd have an additional $800 in his pocket; the bike has been in the shop once and yes, he had to replace the battery. The bolts on the battery box cover worked loose; the door dropped open and the battery fell out and ripped off the terminals. All while he was riding.

Ouch.

david

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #11 - 09/19/15 at 16:25:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/10/15 at 17:10:24:

The Dragon can fix that " can do anything" attitude. He might not care for the lesson though.  But he would learn the lesson that it teaches.  

Sometimes those are the best lessons learned. You never forget them.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/19/15 at 21:19:49

Coupla years after I got the Savage I went in looking at bigger.
I was getting a little excited about a twin, and the sales guy remembered me, or had a conscience or something,,and pointed out that the exhaust comes off to change oil, and a few other fine points,,
I didn't get a bigger Suzuki.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 09/19/15 at 23:51:58

Maybe the best thing you can do is shout your son the MSF course and leave "twisties" until after he's done it. "He's very confident in his skills after riding four?? weeks". Jesus.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/20/15 at 07:10:48

If he won't ride safe when he's with you,maybe you shouldn't ride together. But, maybe he's crazier when you are not there.
If you don't have him insured, might be time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:15:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › My son's "new" Intruder 1400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.