Valve issue? (Read 154 times)
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Re: Valve issue?
Reply #15 - 09/10/15 at 05:35:43

Thank you! My bike has 5060 miles on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/10/15 at 17:58:13

I was so paranoid about it,, it took a few times before my heart wasn't in my throat for a week after. You're just going through the stage, you Know how important it is to get it right.. and the cost of messing up. If you weren't nervous about it you'd be arrogant, or oblivious...
And, there's no shame in pulling it apart and looking. Just make sure the jam nuts are snug. If you used a five thousandths gauge, then you probably can't stick one in, if you can stick the max gap blade in without loosening anything, I'd call it loose. Towards the tight end of the specs is quieter.
Note the tip of the adjuster. Over time, it will flatten and work harden.
When I did the twenty thousand mile adjustment the thing hardly needed any change.
Getting the gauge blade bent into a Z and kind of a ski tip on the end really helped me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/11/15 at 03:46:42

I want to make a comment for anyone trying this the first time.

If you find that you have to move the adjusting screw more than just a fraction of a turn.....then something is wrong.

If you find the clearance is waaay too tight and there is no clearance to get any thickness of feeler gauge inserted - you most likely don't have the engine at the correct TDC (top dead center), and you need to rotate the crank another 360 degrees to get to the proper one.  I always take my hands and move the rockers to confirm that both rockers will move slightly before I start any adjustments....you should hear and feel a slight "click" when you move the rockers.  (When the piston comes to TDC on the proper stroke both valves will have clearance - on the other TDC the cam will be at the "overlap" portion and will have both valves slightly open.......you can't adjust the valves when the cam is holding them open).

If the clearance is waaay too loose - you most likely have a bike that is wearing out the cam lobes and rockers.  You can go ahead and adjust them and see what happens - but if the clearances increase again it means things are wearing quickly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve issue?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.