jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 2006 S40 - Buying Used
Reply #15 - 09/12/15 at 01:52:24

One of the best colours they had Sonny.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 09/12/15 at 02:07:58

I think so as well. It's not a plain white paint at all -- there's a pearlescent, sort of a micro fine metalflake in it, gives it softness and depth.

They do this with the factory finishes. The '87 looks like a clear, deep black but if you look closely there's a super-fine gold flake in there, too. It adds a subtle sheen.

I like the orange and black 2 tone from recent years, but I couldn't find a good one. They're out there, though, sitting in garages, the clock ticking down toward Craigslist..  Cool

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/12/15 at 06:14:25

The group here is mentioning some low prices compared to what sellers are asking where I live.  But the riding season is coming to an end and that does lower the market value.  In fact it is hard to sell a motorcycle this time of year even at bargain prices so I would go with those advocating low offers.

I have a 2005 with about 4800 miles and it has no age or mileage related issues at this time.  The only maintenance expenses other than oil changes were front brake pads, battery, air filter, and tires.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/12/15 at 08:12:59

Sonny , you straight up Stole the white one..That's a good deal.
If it's got stock rear signals, most likely never even been dropped in the yard. Those things are flimsy, but, if ya gather up l the parts and are good with epoxy and wire, they will fix and look good. On a casual walk by, not even noticeable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #19 - 09/12/15 at 09:17:13

Yes, I didn't intend to discourage HollisJohnson. I was ready to spend $2500 US on a clean used S40, but I couldn't find one that was sufficiently issue-free, or there was something jicky about the seller or some other factor making me nervous.

Neither one of my two Savages has been down, best I can tell.

This is a good time to buy a MC, and I would think an even better time in wintry Canada than down here in Texas. I await hearing about Hollis' new ride.

Dealers feel the pressure to close deals before cold weather hits, too. It hasn't been a good year for sales in general I don't think. I have been tire kicking Kaw Vulcan 900s a little bit, somewhat interested, and my local Kawasaki shop has their new bikes marked down substantially.

It just pays to be cautious lest you drop a wad and then find out you have a lot more work to do 'cause you didn't catch something. People here say and it's true: low miles on a 5 or 10 year old bike implies its own set of problems  due to sitting and biodegrading.

The most important question is, was a bike broken in carefully and not run to redline on every shift. For that you size up your seller, you look at the spark plug and put a finger up the exhaust and see how clean it comes out, look at the oil, ride and listen. Because let's face it: a lot of people have no mechanical sense or sympathy  and they abuse a bike til it has problems they don't want to deal with, then put it on the block and sell it. If there are enough dubious signs to make me want to compression test it, I'm going to pass on that one.

But the sunny side is, if you enjoy getting your hands dirty and have access to know-how from a resource like this forum, the things that made someone sell the bike may not be that big of a deal to fix.. may be fun and rewarding to fix!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #20 - 09/12/15 at 09:36:31

Have y'all ever seen that youtube of a guy riding his S40 around town and not shifting it out of 1st gear? Five minutes of horror recorded on a GoPro! And then all the comments: "SHIFT, man, SHIFT!"... "Please please, pull that lever on the left and lift up with your toe, man!"... "OMG, what are you DOING???"...

And of course, that bike was soon for sale, you can just take it to the bank. And some unfortunate soul thought it was clean and bought it...  Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/12/15 at 14:45:50

Take a flashlight and small inspection mirror. Look in the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hollisjohnson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/13/15 at 07:47:13

Hey guys,

I ended up grabbing the bike. Took it on the highway, inspected it, had a friend come and do the same, very clean all around. The guys selling it had 4 bikes in his garage and knew his stuff. It had just recently passed the motor vehicle inspection and he gave me the shop owners number, called him and said he had it in every spring and fall for annual maintenance.

I'm very happy with it and appreciate all the help from the community hear. I'm planning on changing the exhaust over the winter and getting the most of it come Spring. Although we've still got a solid 2 months of riding in Canada if you're willing to bundle up.

Took it for its first spin with a friend of mine yesterday, was great.

s40.JPG
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #23 - 09/13/15 at 08:22:50

Right on! Keep the rubber side down (or up, depending on the direction of gravity.)

Hey, I thought you were in Canada! I thought that's what it looks like down under, in Aus / New Zealand! Regardless, good looking ride you have there.  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/13/15 at 09:21:51

You can't post that picture in this section of the forum.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/13/15 at 10:38:25

You know I'm jerking your belt, right? You have the Rubber side up,
this is
Rubber side down.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #26 - 09/13/15 at 12:15:28

No, he's in the northern hemisphere, things are all upside down there.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 S40 - Buying Used

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.