Send Topic Print
Valve noise (Read 160 times)
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Valve noise
09/05/15 at 05:29:20

adjusted valves and change from t6 to t rotella not solving issue of the valve noises I'm hearing so I am wondering if that is normal volume of noise any s40 or savage should have.

I know a couple people on forum are from NJ any chance you are going roar to shore this coming weekend and could take a listen?

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Re: Valve noise
Reply #1 - 09/05/15 at 08:46:07

From all I read, it's supposed to sound a bit like a sewing machine. Smiley Mine has only around 1,700 miles, used Rotella and it sounds just like that at cruising speeds.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/05/15 at 08:53:32

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 09/06/15 at 09:26:20

She's a noisy beast! You can try to quieter her but she'll probably complain.  Wink Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/06/15 at 12:24:47

If you adjust the valves toward the tight side of the tolerances, it'll be a bit quieter. If you get rid of the racket, it'll burn valves...
I played on the tight side, but I was very meticulous, triple checking, and leaving the feeler gauge in as the final snugging down was done, so I could feel the drag on it..
Takes three tiny hands to pull it off, or so it seems..
Tightening the jam nut lifts the adjusters ever so slightly, from the slack in the threads.
Having a couple of 90* screwdrivers so you can hold the adjusters in place while you're snugging the jam nut is important .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 09/06/15 at 15:48:49

Thanks for those links to those vids verslagen....my bike sounds identical to the first "good" vid and not knowing the Savage very well it seemed  unreasonably loud to me Tongue Glad to know it's "normal".

Compared to my little 250cc twin honda and the neighbor's Vulcan 800 my Savage sounds like a cement mixer lol.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #6 - 09/06/15 at 17:37:00

relived to say that mine also sounds like the normal one. Just never knew for sure ....

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/06/15 at 17:44:53

The. Noise the valve train makes indicates why the bike needs the oil recipe from yesteryear. Its a brutal, harsh ,smashing and clashing design, especially when the tolerances get loose. That allows the lifter to miss part of the ramp and get slapped by the cam, driving the pointy tipped part into the valve..
Golly, I hope I remember what it looks like in there right... I know I stared into it a lot.. but it's been a long time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #8 - 09/06/15 at 17:48:36

any repercussions about switching from t6 to t? some say yes some say no hopefully no lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/06/15 at 17:51:16

Might save money,,

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 09/07/15 at 19:13:16

You can go back and forth at will with no problems.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/07/15 at 20:44:59

First time, at five thousand miles, I had a guy at a small, no longer in existence,shop adjust the valves and let me watch.. yeah, I was that skeert of the bike... and I was shook up the next two times, but, less,, and the last time, it was just no big deal... what always scared me was that the adjuster jam nut would work loose..

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #12 - 09/08/15 at 06:20:09

Mine sounded like a nice even sound till I would give it some gas.  Then it would sound like a woodpecker was trying to drill through a tin roof.  Just got it back from getting them adjusted ( 9600 mi. ) and the modified adjuster put in. Now it sounds like the sewing machine all the time.  Worth the $400 as I have no shop to do it in.  My new 8 X 10 shed kit will be in on the 20th!  The $700 kit is so worth it!

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 09/09/15 at 18:10:46

Hey Versy, what do make of the "loud and fast" video?  Except for the fast idle, does the overall engine noise give confidence all is OK?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/09/15 at 18:41:02

Tocsik wrote on 09/09/15 at 18:10:46:
Hey Versy, what do make of the "loud and fast" video?  Except for the fast idle, does the overall engine noise give confidence all is OK?

I'd want to know where the "tic" is coming from.
I'd want to know where the "whir" is coming from.
Is it normal to have a fast idle?
The put at the end gives me confidence that the carb is set correctly.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:29:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.