Send Topic Print
Running Like Crap (Read 89 times)
paramedic9004
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running Like Crap
09/03/15 at 12:30:32

So I have been tinkering with this darn bike for three days now and it really runs like crap.  Here is the low down.

660 Raptor petcock
Vacuum port sealed and plugged.
Replaced fuel line due to damage. Went with clear (explain later)
dropped carb and scrubbed it to a nice shine
Cleaned and oiled air filter
Changed plug
Changed gas
Battery fully charged

So after many attempts of starting this thing finally starts.  I have to maintain throttle or it will instantly die.  So the clear fuel line come into play because I am thinking that it isnt getting fuel.  Sure thing the tube is empty and trickles down to the carb bowl every once and a while (dont know if this is normal).

I am at the end of my rope with this bike.  I can tear down my triumph t100 to the frame and rebuilt is in a half a day and it fires right up.  This Savage though, is a piece of work.  If anyone is from the Louisiana area, I can make you a hell of a deal.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Running Like Crap
Reply #1 - 09/03/15 at 13:08:00

Medic,

There is something wrong.

If you open the gas cap does fuel flow through the clear tubing? Possibly the vent holes are clogged in the cap if so blow them out.

If that is not the case you have a lot of dirt in the gas tank that is clogging the entrance to the petcock, or you are out of gas.

Kenny G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/03/15 at 13:56:27

Don't give up.  It's not like you have to split the motor here...

On the other hand, I'm not that far from you...If you seriously want to get rid of it I'm open to taking it off your hands for the right price  Smiley

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/03/15 at 15:00:47

Did you remove the shipping sleeves from the Raptor fuel screens?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/03/15 at 15:17:45

paramedic9004 wrote on 09/03/15 at 12:30:32:
660 Raptor petcock good
Vacuum port sealed and plugged.  good
dropped carb and scrubbed it to a nice shine  good, assume you cleaned inside too

So after many attempts of starting this thing finally starts. good 
I have to maintain throttle or it will instantly die.  sounds like not getting gas
Sure thing the tube is empty and trickles down to the carb bowl every once and a while (dont know if this is normal).

1 step at a time...
when you installed the petcock,
you removed the fuel line slipped over the filter?
Have you checked the petcock since?
if not pull it and see if the filters are clogged.
reassemble.
pull the fuel line off, put a jar under and turn to on... how many seconds to fill a qt/gal ?
reassemble
do you got a carb bowl drain or just a bolt on the bottom?
if bolt, remove and put a jar under and turn to on... how many seconds to fill a qt/gal ?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/03/15 at 15:55:24

Mine came with clear straws over the tubes. Not gonna pass much gas like that. My wife is Still hunting an appropriately sized straw for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paramedic9004
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/03/15 at 18:06:40

So I decided to start fresh.  I began with opening a beer.  That worked flawlessly.  Next I went to the petcock.  No sleeves, no trash clogging it, gas crystal clear.  Tested petcock without fuel line.  Poured out at a good rate.  

Spark plug removed - still in good condition.  
Beer 2

Checked electrical connections - good.

Checked vacuum port for seal.  All good.
Beer 3

Dropped carb for a 5th time.  Disassembled.  Cleaned again...removed jets. cleaned again and blew with compressed air.  I noticed that my main jet washer did not come out after removing the jet.  took a pick and removed it.  noticed debris under washer and cleaned and blew that out.  

Reassembled everything.  

Beer 4

Crossed fingers.  Let her rip, fired on first crank.  Noticed idle was a little too fast.  Thumbscrew was backed all the way out.

Made a small adjust to air screw and it leveled out.  

I really can't figure what the issue was.  The only odd thing out on this round was the small bit of debris under the main jet washer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/03/15 at 18:25:56

If the throttle cable is too tight it holds idle high. Twist gas and watch the carb. Engine off.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #8 - 09/05/15 at 11:00:23

turn off raptor remove fuel line from carb take gas cap off and check fuel flow draining into a gas can

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running Like Crap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.