Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
"Swatting" those who carry (Read 267 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

"Swatting" those who carry
09/03/15 at 07:07:03

Gun control groups accused of ‘swatting’ open-carry permit holders, putting lives at risk
Perry Chiaramonte

By Perry ChiaramontePublished September 01, 2015

Second Amendment groups are accusing the gun control lobby of putting law-abiding owners of firearms in danger by urging people to call the police on anyone carrying a gun in public.

As more states relax rules about open-carrying of guns, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence has taken to social media to urge the public to assume gun-toters are trouble, and to call the cops on anyone they feel may be a threat.

“If you see someone carrying a firearm in public—openly or concealed—and have ANY doubts about their intent, call 911 immediately and ask police to come to the scene,” the group wrote on its widely followed Facebook page. “Never put your safety, or the safety of your loved ones, at the mercy of weak gun laws that arm individuals in public with little or no criminal and/or mental health screening.”

That approach, according to a blog post by Ohio-based Buckeye Firearms Association, could give rise to needless, tense confrontations between police and gun owners. The association and other similar groups liken the tactic to “swatting,” or the act of tricking an emergency service into dispatching responders based on a false report. Many online harassment campaigns have been known to participate in the practice.

“This practice is exactly what they [Coalition to Stop Gun Violence] are doing,” said Erich Pratt, spokesman for Virginia-based Gun Owners of America. “It’s one thing if someone is using a gun in an illegal or unlawful manner. No one is questioning that. But this clearly sounds like swatting.”

“They are inciting their radical base to turn their own neighbors in.”

- Erich Pratt, Gun Owners of America

Pratt adds that it may be a move of desperation by those looking to get guns off the streets.

“Anti-gun advocates are clearly frustrated. They want guns banned,” he said. “But they have been thwarted in the past, so they are looking for alternative means.

“They are inciting their radical base to turn their own neighbors in.”

It is not the first time supporters of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and other gun control advocates have pressed for the public to call cops on legal gun owners. An October 2014 National Review article found that the Facebook pages and websites of groups including the coalition, Moms Demand Action and GunFreeZone.net included numerous comments from the public advocating that people call the police and intentionally exaggerate what they see in the hopes of getting cops to stop those open-carrying guns.

Open carry rules, in one form or another, are legal in every state except for five—California, Florida, Illinois, New York, and South Carolina, as well as the District of Columbia. However, many states that do permit open carry have put in place stringent laws that require some sort of permit or license.

The main issue that gun advocates have with the Coalition’s tactics is the potential of putting law-abiding citizens in real danger. Officials for the anti-gun group say that this is not the case.

“In an era in which individuals are being allowed to carry loaded guns on our streets with no permit, background check or required training, it is common sense for concerned citizens to call 911 when they see an armed individual whose intentions are unclear,” Ladd Everitt, director of communications for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence said in a statement to FoxNews.com. “These [open carry] laws guarantee that we—and law enforcement—will have no idea about the criminal and/or mental health background of these individuals until they actually commit a crime; and by then it could be far too late.  We have full confidence in our men and women in blue to assess these situations.

“Gun-toters who are truly law-abiding and mentally competent have nothing whatsoever to worry about. Their conversations with law enforcement will be brief and professional,” he added. “As for those who are dangerous and have something to hide which would not withstand the scrutiny of a background check or permitting process, they should expect to face some tough questions as a result of these 911 calls. And that makes us all safer.”

But the Buckeye Firearms Association believes the effort amounts to "conspiring to obstruct legal justice.”

Pratt agreed, and said people who call the police without legitimate reason should be charged.

“They would likely be the ones arrested for filing a false report,” he said. “And we are certainly hoping that would be the case.”

Perry Chiaramonte is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @perrych

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: "Swatting" those who carry
Reply #1 - 09/03/15 at 08:13:13

2 armed and uniformed cops shot in the past week...
Yep,... Guns make you safe... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 09/03/15 at 08:21:56

I wonder how one of these dingbat wantabes would react to me going down the street on my way to the trap range ???? Multiple shotguns, a couple hundred rounds etc. in the cab of my pickup ????

I hope that "Jennifer" realizes that many people who have carry permits do so because they have reason to require protection. Assaulting them with pepper spray is a fast way to gain several (very) painful body piercings.  Shocked  

( I have the feeling that if any of the rabid gun control crowd ever came across a REAL bad guy with (or without ) a gun, they would suffer an immediate lack of urinary and rectal control .) Embarrassed  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 09/03/15 at 08:31:08

Serowbot wrote on 09/03/15 at 08:13:13:

Being aware of your surroundings is the best way to keep your self safe....    Whether you are ridding your motorcycle or the point man in a combat patrol........  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 09/03/15 at 09:12:13

This is from a month ago.  It doesn't help when leaders of the community are propagating this rhetoric.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #5 - 09/03/15 at 09:20:30

Interesting vid.
Stand-up comedy sure ain't what it used to be....

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/03/15 at 09:54:44

+1... he's sounds like an SNL parody of himself...

I do believe that's illegal... Isn't it incitement to violence, or something?...
Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/03/15 at 10:32:04

Serowbot wrote on 09/03/15 at 08:13:13:

Not that I would ever justify these occurrences...

But cops carry guns, and they shoot unarmed civilians all the time, sometimes completely unjustified.

But making a false report or being unreasonably paranoid will create situations where law abiding but gun toting civilians (concealed or not) will be confronted by guns drawn leo's for no reason.

If done often enough, it will be the equivalent of crying wolf.
And in a world of limited supply, ifa cop has run down a dozen of these which is a cop most likely to respond to... another nuisance report or a traffic report?

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/03/15 at 11:03:53

http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-17/community/hc-glastonbury-bank-non-robb...

Open carry is legal in Connecticut.
If you report someone who is open carrying, you get charged with breach of peace.

--Steve

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 09/03/15 at 11:26:58

A Time ago, I was in Denmark, (Aalborg), in a fancy restaurant,
taken their by the people I was staying with.
(Large group, friends/relatives of the host)

I had a under arm, shoulder holster, which I had re made,
to carry my passport, money, CC.
It was FLAT.
(Had taken off my light coat, as it was warm in their)

We were their for probably a couple of hours,
and then a person, came to the table, he spoke to another person at the table, (in Danish),
everyone at the table got real quiet,  Then suddenly burst out in guffawing Laughter.

He walked away with a smile.
My host then said to me, (after he caught his breath from laughing so hard), in English.
“Someone had called the Police, then the Police called the restaurant, then they spoke to the bartender, then the waiter we had, then the Manager.
(The Manager is who came to the table)
The Manager, told the host what happened, then asked, if I was a ‘American Terrorist’.
(That’s when the Laughing Started !)

Would kinna guess, that is what would happen in 99% of small towns.

In bigger towns, just stand their, show your PTC, and after a number of those events.
The Police, will NO Longer come.  So, if, one, ‘REALLY’, need help….

As verslagen1 said:  we all know the story of, ‘Crying Wolf”  LOLOLLO

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/03/15 at 15:27:18

People die wearing seatbelts.
People die with guns.
Bad stuff happens.
I choose the ability to defend myself.
Can someone catch me unprepared?
Yep.
Wouldn't it have been great if someone saw that
Dark complected male
murder that cop, pull a gun and drop hizzass?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 09/03/15 at 16:13:48

Is it the gun, or the person who uses it wrongly.....??
When I say wrongly, I mean in a manner that can harm others.....

If the reasoning is, an instrument of harm/destructions, is removed, then we have removed the problem.....
Then I say, if we are to tally the numbers of others harmed, and impacted, because of an instrument an individual uses to achieve his/her desired goal..... wrongly.
I say we outlaw all beer mugs, martini, highball glasses, heck, lets just do away with bottles that hold the booze too, for when people use product wrongly, it kills, and destroys, way, way, more people than guns, not to even mention the impact it has on our economy, health, production/commerce....

Indeed, prohibition for guns and booze, nirvana, shangri la, it is awaiting us, if we only make people see it our way, we must make laws, its for their own good....

Golly, sorta sounds like a modern day Crusade  Lips Sealed    

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/03/15 at 16:19:53

And how many times does a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy?
If you had to pull a gun to stop as bad guy, would you report it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 09/03/15 at 23:00:57

our own worst enemy is who we see in the mirror

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/04/15 at 06:02:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/03/15 at 16:19:53:
And how many times does a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy?
If you had to pull a gun to stop as bad guy, would you report it?

Maybe never, but if I need it I'll be glad I have it.
Of course, I assume I'd be the "good guy" in the situation.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 00:46:06

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › "Swatting" those who carry

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.