YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Horn
Reply #15 - 09/04/15 at 08:25:45

maybe if you 2 (JOG/TC) would detail out what you're talking about you'd find that you're saying the same thing.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/04/15 at 09:58:21

Nope, he's saying install a horn button, because using the stock button will burn out the contacts. The stock horn runs it's full load thru those contacts.
It would take a huge relay to draw that current in order to activate a relay.
The appropriate relay for the donor cars horn will be in a fuse block, take it home, probably under hood. The fuse for the horn , the wires that connect to the horn, each are telling what wires to use and how to fuse the circuit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 09/04/15 at 11:01:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/15 at 09:58:21:
Nope, he's saying install a horn button, because using the stock button will burn out the contacts. The stock horn runs it's full load thru those contacts.
It would take a huge relay to draw that current in order to activate a relay.
The appropriate relay for the donor cars horn will be in a fuse block, take it home, probably under hood. The fuse for the horn , the wires that connect to the horn, each are telling what wires to use and how to fuse the circuit.

leave the stock button to control the coil of the relay=minimal current
run a new fused circuit thru the relay n.o. contacts to the horn
fuse sized for the horns' draw(current) +125% of course size the wire to fuse size also

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/04/15 at 14:27:56

Didn't look like agreement to me.
If it was intended as agreement, then a quote
+1
Would have eliminated confusion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #19 - 09/04/15 at 16:23:20

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #20 - 09/04/15 at 17:39:56

Jutman,

That seems to be an awfully expensive way to do something so simple.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/04/15 at 19:47:21

Forty bucks, plus a horn ,,
Or, horn and relay and some wire and terminals, maybe some solder,
Totally a defining choice. Someone who likes making stuff versus someone who buys kits. I'd probably build it even if it cost more.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 09/04/15 at 21:34:29

The relay will be a small black box.  Probably $10 or less at the auto parts house.  You'll need wire heavy enough to handle the load for the longest time you think you'll be blowing the horn and the connectors for the relay, horn, etc.

Check the diagram.  Apologies for the horrible drawing capabilities but it should get the point across.  Always fuse any new circuit you add.

In the second circuit, the horn button energizes the coil in thye relay causing it to close and deliver power to your horn.  This will protect your horn button from heavy loads that could kill either the button or the original wiring.  The new circuit will carry power straight from the battery through the realy and to your horn giving you full power and volume from your horn.

new_horn.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/04/15 at 21:55:58

If you get the horn at the junkyard you can get the relay outta the fuse block.

Steve, you nailed it.. How did you do that?
I've got drawings on the bench that are about that pretty,but they are just for me, to sort stuff out. First, envision, then draw, then build.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #24 - 09/05/15 at 11:02:17

I used photoshop and the pencil drawing tool.  You would think it would be easy to draw with a mouse but it's not. The, just placed text where it needed to be.

I almost always draw out what I'm doing.  Helps keep you on track and if you stick with your drawing and get stopped for a day or have a brain fart, it's easy to figure out where you are and pick up with it again.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #25 - 09/08/15 at 07:47:43

Steve H wrote on 09/04/15 at 21:34:29:
The relay will be a small black box.  Probably $10 or less at the auto parts house.  You'll need wire heavy enough to handle the load for the longest time you think you'll be blowing the horn and the connectors for the relay, horn, etc.

Check the diagram.  Apologies for the horrible drawing capabilities but it should get the point across.  Always fuse any new circuit you add.

In the second circuit, the horn button energizes the coil in thye relay causing it to close and deliver power to your horn.  This will protect your horn button from heavy loads that could kill either the button or the original wiring.  The new circuit will carry power straight from the battery through the realy and to your horn giving you full power and volume from your horn.

------------------
This sound right, i suck at wiring and prefer not to burn out my harness.
1. Remove the wires from the horn
2. Attach these wires to the relay, one side to the relay the other side goes to the switch
3. Add 1 heavier wire from the battery to a inline fuse
4. From the inline fuse to the relay
5. Out the relay to the horn
6. Then from the horn to any ground

Pressing the horn button, using the stock wiring, closes the relay protecting the switch from burning out.  Then the heavier new wire would carry the needed power to the upgraded horn.

I already have some 16 awg wire, would only really need the proper relay and a place to hide it.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #26 - 09/08/15 at 16:48:51

You got it.  In this configuratioin, you put a much smaller load on the horn button than normal.  I like fuses...they prevent melt-downs and small fires.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #27 - 09/08/15 at 20:13:57

Found this, while not salvage, it is not the easy way out of overpaying.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-USA-In-line-Holder-Automotive/dp/B00C0SATHE/re...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 09/09/15 at 03:34:43

JutMan wrote on 09/08/15 at 20:13:57:
Found this, while not salvage, it is not the easy way out of overpaying.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-USA-In-line-Holder-Automotive/dp/B00C0SATHE/re...

The fuse holders are kinda nice....but the wires they provide are too short and you will end up having to splice on a couple of wires to reach the horn or battery (depending on where you locate the relay.  The price is good.

I buy this kind of relay - you can find them in the electric/light department in any auto store, Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.  You just use the crimp-on flat blade connectors and shove them on the terminal in the correct place.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/work-light-accessories/12vdc-3040a-5...

Or some places can sell you a connector to wire in....but you most likely won't find the connector at most auto stores:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/work-light-accessories/5-pin-relay-s...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:20:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.