Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chugging, Dying, Dead Bike. Please help! (Read 218 times)
santacruzsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chugging, Dying, Dead Bike. Please help!
09/01/15 at 12:58:09

Hey guys! Hoping to get some help with my bike, I'm at a little bit of a lost.
I have a 2012 savage, with about 13,000 miles. I purchased it last year from a guy who commuted every day on it (hence the high miles), he kept really god care of it and it ran great for a while. About 4 months ago I started having this weird, choking like problem. I've not been riding long, so I apologize if my language isn't apt! I've read and searched through other threads on the forum, but couldn't find something that quite matched my issue.
The issue comes during riding. The bike would start up fine, I'd ride it for a couple miles, sometimes more sometimes much less, than it would start juddering, and losing. Naturally I thought it was a gas thing the first time, but having ridden it lots with a full tank, the same issue occurs. I had to get it towed to a shop after one ride, I got less than a mile, and it started sputtering and chugging, I gave it a lot of throttle, that usually helped keep it going, but as soon as I would ease of the gas, the bike would just cut out and die. The mechanic changed the jetting and altered the gas/air mixture, which he tested and said worked fine. I took it for a ride, and within a couple miles the same issue was happening, I came to a stop at a light and the bike just died, it struggled to start again, the starter just turning, eventually with a lot of gas it would roar into life, but I still has to rid in low gears, with the throttle almost wide open to prevent it from dying. The mechanic said at he thinks it's potentially electric, but has no real knowledge of these bikes and doesn't want to just replace something. Some help and info on this situation would be incredible, I'm riding my wife's Vespa and missing my thumper! I changed the oil about 6/7 months ago, riding less than a 100 miles since the change, I also changed out the air filter for a new one. Hope that helps. Appreciate your help in advance!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Chugging, Dying, Dead Bike. Please help!
Reply #1 - 09/01/15 at 13:05:59

I take some risk saying this, but are you pushing the choke/enrichment valve knob fully home?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/01/15 at 13:31:34

if you have the stock petcock, it most likely needs changing to a raptor.  Have you read about that on here yet?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/01/15 at 13:46:55

a 100 miles in 6 months is not enough to keep the battery charged.
get yourself a tender or ride more.

to check out the situation, get a volt meter and check the voltage off the battery.  If it drops below 10v it's likely to drop out on you.  It takes about a half hour at superslab speeds to recharge the battery if it was fully charged when you started it.  Using the turn signal at low charge will produce backfires in time with the signal.

petcock, quick fix is to put it on prime, but go the tech section and look up "test your petcock".

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/01/15 at 13:56:56

Or....the petcock diaphragm could have a hole in it, and is allowing fuel to flow down the vacuum line and creating a mixture that is too rich.  The bike would start and run when cold......but progressively run worse as the engine warms up (also run worse at low throttle settings).

As others have stated....it sure sound like a failure of the stock petcock to me.  To find out, remove the vacuum line and see if there is any fuel in it (small black line with the spring on the outside of it that connects to the right side of the carb).  If there is any fuel in the line that is an indication the diaphragm has a leak in it.  Shove a golf tee in the vacuum line, then plug the port on the side of the carb with a rubber cap (or another piece of hose and a golf tee, set the petcock on PRIME....and see if the problems are gone.

If the bike runs OK with the vacuum line disconnected, the vacuum port on the carb plugged, and the petcock on PRIME....it is time for you to order your genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock (accept no Chinese substitutes).  Only use a genuine Yamaha  5LP-24500-01-00

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
santacruzsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/01/15 at 14:00:27

jcstokes wrote on 09/01/15 at 13:05:59:
I take some risk saying this, but are you pushing the choke/enrichment valve knob fully home?

Do you mean, is it pushed fully in? I usually use the choke to start the bike, but notice that it runs better when the choke is pushed in, I don't ride with the choke on if thats what you mean?

Tocsik wrote on 09/01/15 at 13:31:34:
if you have the stock petcock, it most likely needs changing to a raptor.  Have you read about that on here yet?

I have read about it, the first time I thought i had an issue, I took it into the shop and the mechanic told me it was the petcock and he just flushed the fuel lines. We didn't replace the petcock, so it could potentially be that, would that effect how well the fuel is getting to the engine/carb?

verslagen1 wrote on 09/01/15 at 13:46:55:
a 100 miles in 6 months is not enough to keep the battery charged.
get yourself a tender or ride more.

to check out the situation, get a volt meter and check the voltage off the battery.  If it drops below 10v it's likely to drop out on you.  It takes about a half hour at superslab speeds to recharge the battery if it was fully charged when you started it.  Using the turn signal at low charge will produce backfires in time with the signal.

petcock, quick fix is to put it on prime, but go the tech section and look up "test your petcock".

The 100 miles in 6 months is mainly because the bike hasn't been working, the majority of those miles were in the first month before it started malfunctioning.
It may be the battery, if I had a poor battery, would that cause the bike to die mid ride? I can get away with pushing the bike a little further when I start to feel it chugging if i rag open the gas and ride like that, but it eventually dies whenever I come to a stop.

I've done the 'prime' thing on the petcock, but was advised to never ride around with the petcock set to prime. It runs relatively well when stationary in neutral and on prime, eventually it starts to chug and will eventually die though.

Appreciate all the help already guys!

IP Logged
santacruzsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/01/15 at 14:05:36

Dave wrote on 09/01/15 at 13:56:56:
Or....the petcock diaphragm could have a hole in it, and is allowing fuel to flow down the vacuum line and creating a mixture that is too rich.  The bike would start and run when cold......but progressively run worse as the engine warms up (also run worse at low throttle settings).

As others have stated....it sure sound like a failure of the stock petcock to me.  To find out, remove the vacuum line and see if there is any fuel in it (small black line with the spring on the outside of it that connects to the right side of the carb).  If there is any fuel in the line that is an indication the diaphragm has a leak in it.  Shove a golf tee in the vacuum line, then plug the port on the side of the carb with a rubber cap (or another piece of hose and a golf tee, set the petcock on PRIME....and see if the problems are gone.

If the bike runs OK with the vacuum line disconnected, the vacuum port on the carb plugged, and the petcock on PRIME....it is time for you to order your genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock (accept no Chinese substitutes).  Only use a genuine Yamaha  5LP-24500-01-00

This might be the issue! I'll have to try and see if that works, I'm away from the bike, but will make some time to try this out over the next few days.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/01/15 at 15:16:34

Save the hassles. Walk into the Yamaha shop. Get the Raptor and be done.
Do you know how far he commuted? If so, your cam chain tensioner extension measurement Could help with our understanding of chain wear/stretch. You're in the typical mileage range when checking is getting to the
Need to right now....
Hiring mechanics hasn't been typically a good thing for Savage owners.
We've seen at least two engines destroyed by professionals, just doing an oil change. These bikes are uncommon to them, since there aren't thousands sold a year  And most owners do their own maintenance OR they park them. It doesn't take many trips to
The Mechanic
to make owning one unaffordable and no fun.
What we own is a cool bike, crude design, pretty simple to maintain.
You have an opportunity to expand your mechanical and electrical understanding. You can buy tools and a manual and learn. Or, you can rely on someone who will gladly harvest your money because you don't know when they're lying to you. I've been on the Raptor forum. I was replacing the piston, had the head and valves and cylinder at the machine shop.
Getting advice from them was like pulling teeth. I had to repeatedly ask,  buncha jerks...
Here,some guys are good with the computer, can post pics of wiring diagrams and put an arrow pointing to what you need to see.
You might coulda got a better bike, that's a source of constant debate, but you couldn't have found a better bunch of guys with experience and desire to help.
How old are you? Do you have experience with mechanical stuff?
Got a garage?
You're gonna hafta have a multimeter, under ten buck, harbor freight , northern tools...  light duty battery charger, and, for winter or extended time not riding, float charger.
Don't let it intimidate you. I did. People here got me to the point of confidence. If you're smart enough to survive on the street, you're smart enough to keep it running.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 09/01/15 at 16:58:39

The, Raptor, (Real one), Petcock change, is not money wasted.
And the more, ‘ethanol’, gas run through the, ‘factory one’, the faster it will fail.
And while you are their, do a, ‘fuel’, in line filter add.
Again, not money wasted, and both cheep, to do.
Filter: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392
Just maybe, you got some, ‘chunks’ in the tank, that is restricting the flow.

This link, is your friend, for DYI’ing.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927
And, DYI,
If you go to a Dealer, you will be shelling outs TONS on money, you don’t have to.

( Well, unless you are like a certain Moderator of this site, who LOVES to give his money away)

If the Raptor & Filter, don’t solve the problem,
then ask again.
The Cumulative knowledge here, on this site, about the LS640/S40 ICE, is Legendary.

I have played with small, 3-15 HP Single, ICE’s (Internal Combustion Engines),
for probably 40 years.
NEVER, did I think that a,  ’06, S40, was to be treated like a,
Pre, Lead, Pre Ethanol, gas. Pre, Zinc in the oil, ICE.

If you like, ’tinkering’, you will LOVE this MC.
If you don’t, then sell it,
and buy something you will take to the, ‘dealer’ every year,
and also hand him several hundred dollars, to keep running.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 09/03/15 at 12:05:46

My money is on the petcock...super easy fix, super cheap and it performs better and more reliably than the stock vac petcock.

When I first bought my bike I had the same symptoms...read up on it here and bingo!
Fixed forever...I've now had this bike for like 4 years and it's never stuttered since...oh, except when I run out of gas!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 09/03/15 at 12:24:21

santacruzsavage wrote on 09/01/15 at 14:00:27:
I have read about it, the first time I thought i had an issue, I took it into the shop and the mechanic told me it was the petcock and he just flushed the fuel lines. We didn't replace the petcock, so it could potentially be that, would that effect how well the fuel is getting to the engine/carb?

Sadly, this does sound like a typical dealer response. "I see your problem but this is what the manual says to do...I know nothing beyond that"

Get a Raptor fuel valve and enjoy you bike. It's a 10 minute fix.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
santacruzsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/04/15 at 20:44:37

Hey everyone!

I didn't even bother checking my lines and prime etc.

I just ordered the Yamaha petcock replacement.

Got it yesterday and installed it today. Easy change, even I could do it.

TOTALLY FIXED! I'm soooo stoked to have my bike back after such a long time!

You guys rule. Thank you for the help everyone.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/04/15 at 21:00:57

My earlier post , you know, where I said
Save the hassles, put a petcock on...
The part about the cam chain tensioner is really important. I hope you go back and read it again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #13 - 09/05/15 at 05:24:11

santacruzsavage wrote on 09/04/15 at 20:44:37:
Hey everyone!

I didn't even bother checking my lines and prime etc.

I just ordered the Yamaha petcock replacement.

Got it yesterday and installed it today. Easy change, even I could do it.

TOTALLY FIXED! I'm soooo stoked to have my bike back after such a long time!

You guys rule. Thank you for the help everyone.  Smiley Smiley

Amazing right? Now check your cam chain tensioner lol 13k miles it's time to check it

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/07/15 at 16:01:41

interesting. this sounds a lot like my problem.

raptor petcock you say eh? i'll look into that.....
looked into this petcock and realized i think i already have this.  while reading about it i remember the guy i got my savage from telling me something about a quad part that was used.  i thought it was a choke but this makes way more sense..... i still think i'll get a new one though it might have some issues..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:29:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chugging, Dying, Dead Bike. Please help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.