Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too much oil & exhaust whistle/squeal (Read 145 times)
s40valley1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Too much oil & exhaust whistle/squeal
08/31/15 at 17:37:14

Hi, I'm brand new to the site and new to motorcycling in general.  I recently picked up a 2008 S40 with only about 5000km (3100 miles) for a great price in not running condition.  It looked great and has low kms so I figured I'd take my chances.  I quickly found that it had been massively overfilled with motor oil.  I found a cup or so of oil pooled in the air box and the air filter saturated with oil.  I've got a new air filter coming in the mail.  I drained over 4 litres (about 4.5 quarts) out of it!  I'm guessing it was filled to the top of the fill plug.

Since the bike is new to me, I checked out a few other things.  Drained the fuel and replaced it with fresh premium.  Changed the plug and confirmed good spark.  Checked the compression and measured a little over 100psi.  Checked valve clearance - I had trouble getting the feeler gauges in but confirmed qualitatively that there was a few thousandths clearance.  Drained and removed the carburetor bowl and found everything looking really clean.

I put it all back together (with the right amount of oil) and it fired right up.  It seems to ride well, but I don't have much to compare it to.  

What concerns me is a really high pitch sound that seems to be coming out of the exhaust (stock).  It sort of sounds like a whistle, but sort of also sounds like metal on metal rubbing.  It's loud during the first turn when I start the engine, but it generally is continuous.  It's louder as RPMs are slowing and less loud when reving it up.  Any ideas what this might be?  Could it be linked to the overfill of oil?  There's no indication of blown seals (no oil oozing out anywhere) and I think the compression is good, right?  Should I be worried about the oil pump?  Anything else I should check?  It sounds like the previous owner had run it more than just a little since the last oil change.  They said one day it backfired and wouldn't run anymore so they trailered it home and put it up for sale.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Too much oil & exhaust whistle/squeal
Reply #1 - 08/31/15 at 17:48:48

Some stock mufflers do have the "VW" effect... (chirpy little squeal)...

You don't need Premium gas... Regular is more than adequate for our low compression engine.

If you notice the oil way up again,... it is a leaky fuel petcock...(dumping fuel down the vacuum line into the crankcase)...
2 to 2.2 quarts should do for an oil change...
We like Shell Rotella...diesel oil... (it's for bikes too)...

See the stickies at the top of the RSD page,... for some newbie owner tips...

Welcome   Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 09/01/15 at 07:06:01

As Serow said, the overage of oil in the crankcase and oil in the air box, denotes a faulty fuel tank petcock, keep a close eye on your oil level, if it starts to climb in the window (getting more full without adding oil), it means gas is venting into the crank case.

The savage/S40 is known for the infamous "backfire" on shut down and throttle blips, its is ok if this is happening. You can lesson the backfiring a little, just read in the Tech section or do a search for "backfiring".
I would also do some reading on the "raptor" or "petcock replacement".....

Do you know how to attach a video? It would kinda help if we could hear the squealing.

Some folks idea of a loud sound is different than others, much like my "loud clacking" of the valves is actually quieter than others, I found that out at our texas meet.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/01/15 at 07:57:38

I wouldn't sweat the petcock ,,  I'd ride up to the Yamaha shop, get a raptor, go home, install.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
s40valley1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/01/15 at 14:56:43

Thanks a ton for the input guys.  I should have thought to attach a video of the exhaust sound.  I've tried attaching one...Hope it works.  Is this the "VW" sound you're referring to?  It sort of sucks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/01/15 at 15:23:10

Lose a coupla pounds of metal and a ton of ugly AND the whistle.
Slap a Dyna muffler on. Cheap, much better looking, the sound changes,,sounds like a bike instead of a constipated cricket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 09/13/15 at 21:22:14

RE the whistle: I just completed a 900 mile putt this weekend across western New Mexico and eastern Arizona. Half way, after a HOT day I discovered a "whistle" at idle that decreased when I revved it.  Loose header collar bolts were the cause. Tighten and all is good....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/14/15 at 09:58:39

Maintenance Manual says do that cold.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #8 - 09/14/15 at 17:24:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/14/15 at 09:58:39:
Maintenance Manual says do that cold.

It wuz by the time I could locate/ borrow a 11mm socket.  Smiley  (Silly Texas chicken rustler... I'm old, NOT from Texas..)

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/14/15 at 17:41:13

My 2013 S40 takes a 12 MM socket to tighten the exhaust bolts that hold the header onto the head. I used a a copper based Never-Sieze product on the threads when I re-installed the header from changing to the Dyna muffler.

I use a 1/4" drive socket with a short extension on it and just snug the bolts. I can imagine the disaster that occurs when you break off one of the bolts. With all of the heat that the bolts are exposed to they probably get brittle over a period of time.  

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much oil & exhaust whistle/squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.