Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Battery dying when engine hot (Read 700 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Battery dying when engine hot
Reply #75 - 10/13/15 at 14:27:30

Another thought.
The internal balancer does a pretty good job of controlling the vibration. Even 70 mph is reasonably smooth. incredible for a 650 single! Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #76 - 10/13/15 at 19:05:28

part of me is wondering if i was sent the correct regulator; as you have mentioned. i have asked the seller to verify the part was for my bike.  

IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #77 - 10/18/15 at 11:29:13

update!

swapped the red wire in the harness and put it in the empty slot.

took bike for two rides. then it would not start. charged it up again. rode to my buddy's house for further testing. after an hour or so he really thought the battery was bad and was not holding a charge. luckily i still had the original battery from the bike before all this began. put that in after getting home.  started up fine. took it for a 10 minute ride. started after stopping.  did that 3 or 5 more times. started up each time. my buddy really thought all these shorts and problems messed with my battery and it was toast.  every few hours i started the bike up yesterday. even today too. it has never started this many times in a row....i want to be cautiously optimistic here as its never been this consistent lol.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #78 - 10/18/15 at 17:59:20

That's entirely possible.  I toasted two batteries when my r/r went bad.  After I replaced the r/r I had to replace the battery and then all was fine.  The thing to do now is test your r/r and the rest of your wiring.  A parasitic draw is easy to spot.  Just connect the positive lead of your multimeter to any always hot wire and and the negative lead to a good ground...wait...watch.  If the voltage gradually drops you have a parasitic draw and you have some diagnosing to do.  If the voltage holds you're good.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #79 - 10/18/15 at 18:21:05

while bike is off? on? on and idling?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #80 - 10/18/15 at 19:16:35

Test for parasitic draw while the bike is off.  If the voltage holds steady for five minutes you can be pretty sure your r/r is no longer a problem.  To be sure you can test the r/r.  Here's a YouTube video that shows how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q it's simple.  If you get good results then you can attach your positive lead on your multimeter to the positive battery terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal and start the bike.  Rev the motor up to around 3k and you should get around 14.5 volts.  If the voltage is lower than 14 you may be looking at a stator problem.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #81 - 10/21/15 at 00:21:29

I just noticed your post in the "How to test your r/r" in the tech section.  After reading that, your post on page 4 of this thread finally made more sense.  IIRC, the red wire on your new r/r should go to the empty slot so I think you've done the right thing.  If your battery is good and you don't have a parasitic draw anywhere else you should be fine now.  I know it's only been a couple of days since you swapped it to the empty slot but I'd like an update on your experience with it when you get the chance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:23:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery dying when engine hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.