Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Battery dying when engine hot (Read 700 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery dying when engine hot
Reply #60 - 10/11/15 at 15:19:29

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm happy to see you got it going.
Now, could you explain howcum it took three MONTHS to get your good friend over? Whatsamatta with you? You couldn't buy some beer and some meat to scorch on the grill and invite the guy over ? Man, someone who can Fix the starter, not just replace it,,sounds like a genuine mechanic to me. Did he explain what it was?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 10/11/15 at 15:30:21

oh i had him over throughout this whole process. but i didnt want to burden him all the time with my problems lol. he is the first to fix the oil leak actually.  

so what the problem was....apparently the post that the terminal attaches to had a short inside the unit. it was not grounded inside and every time i started it, it would make it worse...eventually to it locking up i guess...he sent me some photos i'll post them if i get around to it.

yes almost 3 months of issues. but i am convinced i had 2 or 3 issues and had to work through them in the troubleshooting flow...thanks everyone...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #62 - 10/11/15 at 15:38:34

Yeah, I have been messing with a riding mower for a month,, used stuff, you just never know.. I'm glad I didn't buy it.. yet. The three hundred dollars he wanted ain't happening.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 10/11/15 at 16:25:00

well funny story about how i ended up with this bike. will make a great blog post one day lol.

i picked up an Atari 2600 at a garage sale for 5 bucks.  

traded that system for a doodle bug.

fixed up the doodle bug and made it awesome. traded that for a mini baja...

fixed up the mini baja and made it awesome. even found a trailer for it and customized it.  

traded the baja and its trailer for a 1990 Goldwing.  that bike was giant. didnt like it lol.

traded that for this savage.  love the savage. love how it feels, how it rides. i put on drag bars and its even cooler lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #64 - 10/11/15 at 17:06:42

Wow,, a horse and doodle buggy trader! What a way to go from spending five bucks at a garage sale to Savage owner. I trust you made some bucks on that last Trade. And yeah, a Goldwing is just a heavy beast. What tip to those who have what it takes to ride them.
I've seen skinny old men with not so skinny women on the back. How they hold them up is beyond me. I nearly dropped the Savage at stops a bunch of times.

IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 10/11/15 at 19:07:29

i love this Savage.

my last trade, over the weekend, was my Colecovision and Sega Genesis for a 1985 Yamaha FZ750 lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #66 - 10/11/15 at 19:16:14

Man, what do you want to do? You wanna play video games or ride or what? And how does anyone trade, pardon my ignorance, whatever a colecovision and a Sega for a motorcycle? Where are you finding this stuff?

Ohh, and just to be clear, I applaud such horse trading. I watch American pickers and other such shows.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 10/11/15 at 19:17:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/11/15 at 17:06:42:
I nearly dropped the Savage at stops a bunch of times.

JOG, you're supposed to put your feet down.   Grin

Dain, I can drop a lot of crap off for trading purposes   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #68 - 10/11/15 at 19:21:21

Ohh, I had feet down, but it just nearly took me down several times, early on. Later on, after plenty of experience, I nearly lost it on Sandy, gravelly stuff at a stop sign. Power splits,,

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #69 - 10/11/15 at 19:26:52

daincitydave wrote on 10/11/15 at 16:25:00:
i picked up an Atari 2600 at a garage sale for 5 bucks.

Wasn't mine, was it?

No, wait, the wife sold mine for $20 while I was at work! Angry. Couldn't have been mine!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 10/11/15 at 22:12:35

I'm in Canada and primarily use kijiji. I have lucked out so bad to have worked my way up.to this bike. now I got.the Yamaha to part out. isn't running but has a lot of sellable items. using it to fund the savage and what I want to do to it.

those gaming systems had their day. I would never play them again so figured why not use them as currency. if he guy has a bike chances are good if he's young he likes games too lol

the guy I got the goldwing from was a bit of a tool very surprised that deal went down lol. with ownership. lol. people that saw.the goldwing thought he ripped himself off lol.

the dude I got the savage from was a bit.sketchy. he took the goldwing. he was a tool too. he wanted a bigger bike. that was the goldwing.  after we traded he never returned my texts or emails about the problems. the guy must have known. the thing with me is that im curious, stubborn and resourceful.  and cheap lol so the less I put into the bike initially justified buying a part here and there.  but all at once the once in a while things became the norm.

oil leak
electrical short
battery not charging
battery case made contact with terminals sparking as you rode lol.

got a new battery. new regulator. resoldered a lot of wire connections. drag bars and a misfits sticker.  lol.

and tomorrow if all goes well I'll be riding for more than 25 minutes  Cool

IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 10/13/15 at 10:43:56

well my fun yesterday was short lived.

i went out for a 15 minute ride to make sure i wasn't going to be stranded. let bike sit for 10 mins, then went out again. this time about a 25 minute ride to the river.  had a coffee and a muffin. then went to a buddy's house about 15 minutes from there. he had never seen my bike, so after being there for about 15 minutes i started it up and showed him how great it is lol. then 20 minutes later when i went to leave bike wouldnt start. very little battery power. boosted it with his car.  noticed some arcing at the bottom of the battery box when i was starting while boosting; right at the belt guard and battery box. made it home, battery read about 11.  was clearly low.   stuck a piece of rubber between the guard and box and then set the trickle charger up. once battery was full bike started no problem.  somewhere it is shorting out.  the design of the battery box is so stupid lol. i think the positive terminal sometimes makes contact with the top plate of the box.  anyone have any relocation or modification tips to the battery box??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #72 - 10/13/15 at 11:30:49

Well, if you've had your bat box out, you'd notice several wires are routed behind it.  maybe one of those is shorted.

Yes, we should ditch all those beloved metal parts for plastic ones so you don't get a short in your shorts.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #73 - 10/13/15 at 12:23:59

verslagen1 wrote on 10/13/15 at 11:30:49:
Well, if you've had your bat box out, you'd notice several wires are routed behind it.  maybe one of those is shorted.

Yes, we should ditch all those beloved metal parts for plastic ones so you don't get a short in your shorts.   Roll Eyes

Yeah, it wouldn't do any harm to check those wires, but I might remind you that he said he noticed arcing while jump starting.  I think it's more likely that he had contact from the positive lead of the jumper cable with ground on the bike.  I say this because if he truly had an intermittent short from the positive battery terminal to ground he'd have most likely noticed arcing at other times not just while jump starting.  I'd expect some popped fuses or maybe he'd have even been zapped by now as much as he's been poking around.  The arcing seems coincidental is what I'm saying.

@daincitydave, I should mention that there should be a rubber boot on the positive battery cable that covers the terminal connector.  Even without that boot, if you have the correct battery and hardware it shouldn't be making contact.  Think about it...This problem is unique to you so rushing to judgement on the design of the box might be a little rash, although, I will admit that it could be better.  I'm going to say this again...My gut tells me that you need to look to your regulator/rectifier.  I would urge you again to check all your wiring and test your r/r using a multimeter.  If I'm wrong you'll lose nothing by checking it.  It'll take you five minutes and you'll know for sure.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #74 - 10/13/15 at 14:22:01

The S40 is one of  the easiest handling bikes I have ever owned.
I have to admit that my Bonneville T 100 can be a bit intimidating all 500 lbs of it.

It would be nice to be 6' or so and 200 pounds. A 29" inseam just doesn't cut it. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery dying when engine hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.