Send Topic Print
carb  change (Read 64 times)
bobdog

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bremerton, Wa.
carb  change
08/29/15 at 23:29:14

Has anyone tried a flat slide carb. On the LS650 ??

2009 red w/white,emgo short vintage style muffler , carb spacer mod. 2 washers. raptor petcock, 4" uni pod filter and 50.pilot, 150 main .
bobdog bobdog bobdog   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: carb  change
Reply #1 - 08/30/15 at 06:48:12

Yeah, some of the guys who bored it and put a cam in and changed the exhaust created an engine that needed more carb. But slapping that kind of carb on a stock motor? I'm not the expert, but it doesn't sound like a performance changer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 08/30/15 at 09:39:37

The pre '96 DR650 crowd have a single carb like ours, and a flat slide seem to be a preferred alternative. Lancer swears to a simpler round slide VM carb with a flow optimizer installed though. A flat slide vs a round slide carb, very minute performance difference, you'd be hard pressed to feel the difference I'm told.

On a stock stock bike, stock jets in the carb, you'd feel a slight increase in performance if you opted for a different carb tuned for the bike, mostly because of the better tuned jets. Whether you'd feel a difference between a properly tuned stock carb and a flat slide, can't tell. On a performance machine, with the biggest 97mm bore and stage 3 cam, you are supposed to get a bit more top end and slightly more responsiveness on fast throttle opening.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/30/15 at 10:35:24

I think the big advantage of a flat slide carb.....is compactness.  When you get a big honking round slide carb for a Harley V-Twin....it sticks way out in the breeze and knocks on your knee.  With a flat slide carb the throttle plate can be big - but the carb doesn't have to stick out as far.

My round slide runs well enough - that I don't see any reason to try anything different.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb  change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.