Because of you...... (Read 78 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Because of you......
08/29/15 at 18:37:22

Listening to the WONDERFUL advice so many knowledgeable motorheads share on RSD, I have come to use it elsewhere, when needed.

Recently my Suzuki 85 HP outboard went into the dumps after I forgot to open the vent on the fuel tank.
I was mostly running slow, as we were crabbing, and going slowly from trap, to trap. Not until I opened her up to head in did I realize I had a problem.
It did a weird sucking sound, then a lean knock, and quit.
I noticed the primer bulb was sucked into the shape of a rasin  Embarrassed
I opened the vent, and it almost sucked my fingers into the tank, uh,,,,,almost.
So, I went to trouble shooting after I got her home ( ran in on the kicker )
This was a three carb deal, lots of confusion, and looked beyond my ability.....
However, putting together the pieces of advice I have gathered here, I torn into it.
Overall the carbs looked real good, no wear at all on the needle valves, but I had sucked the mother load of debris that I am assuming had just been riding a long time in the tank, fuel lines, etc, just waiting to be packed.
Took all of them apart, linkage, and all, throttle body,etc....

Put it all back together real good, adjusting floats, linkage, air, etc, to spec....
DANG, she ran like a savage rider in Arizona who got a tip that a local pub  was given away free growlers to those who would dare the 120 degree heat, to come in  Cheesy

Then today we had a real storm, killed one person that I know of when he got hit by a falling tree.
Power was flickering and only a matter of time till I lost power....
I did.
I have a generator, however, even tho it prolly has less than 10 hours run time, it wouldn't.....
I had left ethanol fuel in it last year and I just didn't want to fart with it....
But after fixing the beast of three carbs, I felt this was a piece of cake, chocolate  Grin
Cleaned her up real good, dumped fuel, scrubbed, new juice, cleaned plug.
Second pull, she started,
Sounded real good too.....
However, she would not run right under a loading ( 4400 watts) .
I figgered it had to be in the primary circuit, as like I said, she idle great.
Pulled the carb again, and went a searching.
This carb was odd, the main jet was accessible from the outside, once you took apart some fittings, weird setup.
So, I got the jet out and shot some cleaner and air into her, purged some gunk, lots o' gunk....
Put her back together, WHAM, she is putting out like a two bit hooker  when the fleet comes in ( Can I say that?)

Power is back on, I feel smarter ( feel is the operative here ) and life is good, well, it would be better if the winds die down so I can go out in the boat to catch the salmon before they make the rivers to spawn, anyways....  Grin

A BIG THANKS to those of you who share your knowledge, I am indebted  Kiss  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Because of you......
Reply #1 - 08/29/15 at 20:43:44

Ray,

Once you gain confidence from a successful repair the next thing that needs repaired gets easier.

Good Job!

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 08/29/15 at 21:15:28

The first step in repairing anything is to gain confidence. Good job!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #3 - 08/30/15 at 06:45:49

Nice one, Ray  Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 08/31/15 at 15:44:49

Oh yeah, once you figure out one carb the others get easier. Just tore down the carb on my 25 year old 8 hp Techumseh generator. Carb was all gummed up. Gave it a good cleaning and found that it would start then surge and stop. It needed a new seat for the float jet and I had to adjust the float. Five dollars worth of parts and the old girl runs great. Don't think it has more than 15 hours on it total, it just looks old.
  Confidence is real important, take it slow and learn as you go. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 09:21:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Because of you......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.