Send Topic Print
Rusty Tank? (Read 147 times)
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Rusty Tank?
08/29/15 at 16:55:47

I've got a rusty LS650 tank. I've done the White Vinegar + Sheetrock Screw method (For 3 Days), and I'm not impressed with the results. I don't want to attempt to get the rust out again.

Would I be able to efficiently use this gas tank in this same condition, or should I go get myself a replacement?

Tiki

'87 LS650 Bobber Project (First Cruiser)
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rusty Tank?
Reply #1 - 08/29/15 at 17:51:56

I just got done doing this.  I used a different method though;  I used cider vingar, soaked for a day, then distilled water with baking soda to rinse.  There was some rust left over a little lighter than what youve got going on now.  I ran my bike for a day and havent encountered any problems (yet).  But i also ran a rag on the inside of the tank prior to installing it, to make sure there wasnt a large amount of residue.  There was not if any at all.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/29/15 at 17:52:25

If you're done working, then at least get some Ospho, dilute phosphoric acid, Kelly Moore, a quart lasts me years, around ten bucks.
It turns iron oxide into iron phosphate. I'd get some in there and make it splash to and wet thoroughly the entire interior. Liquid, not gel.
Read the directions..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 08/29/15 at 18:03:04

Lots of ways to clean the inside of a rusty tank.

If you are done, and have the, ‘big/flakey’, stuff out.

Put on a filter, (a good one), and run it.
The very, very, small stuff, that goes through the, ‘good’, filter,
will just pass through the carb.

Then, change/clean, the filter, as needed.
You keep running it, running gas through,
the cleaning of the filter, will be less and less.

And, Oh, did I mention,
use, ‘Good’ gas.  “Non-Oxy”  (no ethanol/water)
if you can get it.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/29/15 at 19:08:33

what would you say is a "good" filter?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/29/15 at 21:18:37

This tank looks like a good candidate for electrolysis.  Follow this process and you'll get good results in a couple of days.

1.  Cork any holes in the bottom of your tank and then fill your tank with a solution of water and three tablespoons baking soda (Mix well before putting into tank).
2.  Get a steel rod (this is your anode) and put it all the way into the tank but don't let it touch the side of the tank.  You can put the rod through a piece of styrofoam (or something nonconductive) and bend the rod into the tank and just bungee the piece of styrofoam to the tank to keep the rod from touching any part of the tank.
3.  Get an AC/DC converter rated for 10A and strip the plug off the tip of it.
4.  Connect Jumper clamps to the stipped plug positive and negative.
5.  Connect the negative jumper to the piece of steel and the positive jumper to the tank near the tank bolt holes.  You have to have good contact here.  Try to connect to bare metal.  You'll know it's working because you'll see little bubbles at the mouth of the tank.
6.  Unplug and check it twice a day.  If the piece of steel is coated with rust then clean it with sand paper before plugging it back in.

That's it.  Just keep doing this until your tank is completely rust free.  After it's completely dry you can line the tank with Red Kote, Kreem, or whatever.  Good as new.

Warning:  This process creates hydrogen gas so do it outside.
Warning:  Don't use stainless steel as your anode.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 08/29/15 at 21:55:27

chzeckmate wrote on 08/29/15 at 21:18:37:
This tank looks like a good candidate for electrolysis.  Follow this process and you'll get good results in a couple of days.

1.  Cork any holes in the bottom of your tank and then fill your tank with a solution of water and three tablespoons baking soda (Mix well before putting into tank).
2.  Get a steel rod (this is your anode) and put it all the way into the tank but don't let it touch the side of the tank.  You can put the rod through a piece of styrofoam (or something nonconductive) and bend the rod into the tank and just bungee the piece of styrofoam to the tank to keep the rod from touching any part of the tank.
3.  Get an AC/DC converter rated for 10A and strip the plug off the tip of it.
4.  Connect Jumper clamps to the stipped plug positive and negative.
5.  Connect the negative jumper to the piece of steel and the positive jumper to the tank near the tank bolt holes.  You have to have good contact here.  Try to connect to bare metal.  You'll know it's working because you'll see little bubbles at the mouth of the tank.
6.  Unplug and check it twice a day.  If the piece of steel is coated with rust then clean it with sand paper before plugging it back in.

That's it.  Just keep doing this until your tank is completely rust free.  After it's completely dry you can line the tank with Red Kote, Kreem, or whatever.  Good as new.

Warning:  This process creates hydrogen gas so do it outside.
Warning:  Don't use stainless steel as your anode.

Steps 3 & 4 kind of confuse me. I would like to try this though. Do you have a picture of some sort that shows what steps 3 & 4 look like?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/29/15 at 23:35:16

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/30/15 at 04:53:10

I have tried the electrolysis, and it is just impossible to get a big enough piece of iron down the small fuel cap hole to allow good rust removal.  You also can't get anything down in the recesses of the tank.  I used a large steel rod bent to fit down the filler neck, and it has to be taken out and cleaned often.....as a black coating builds up on it and stops the process.

Here is the method I use....it is doesn't work the only thing you can do is take it to one of the stripping places that immerse the tank in a stripper.  It costs money....but it works great and the tank will be spotless when you get it back.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/30/15 at 06:31:25

Awwrite, Dave, if you're gonna keep on doin this, you're gonna hafta mail me a pack of stars for the scoreboard. You're starting to cost me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 08/30/15 at 09:00:37

Dave wrote on 08/30/15 at 04:53:10:
I have tried the electrolysis, and it is just impossible to get a big enough piece of iron down the small fuel cap hole to allow good rust removal.  You also can't get anything down in the recesses of the tank.  I used a large steel rod bent to fit down the filler neck, and it has to be taken out and cleaned often.....as a black coating builds up on it and stops the process.

Here is the method I use....it is doesn't work the only thing you can do is take it to one of the stripping places that immerse the tank in a stripper.  It costs money....but it works great and the tank will be spotless when you get it back.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

Thanks Dave, I'll give this method a shot if electrolysis doesn't work well for me.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 08/30/15 at 09:39:44

jspace wrote on 08/29/15 at 19:08:33:

A very good discussion is on:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392/0

Read it all,  (It's good for ya)

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - 08/30/15 at 12:34:43

MnSpring wrote on 08/30/15 at 09:39:44:
jspace wrote on 08/29/15 at 19:08:33:

A very good discussion is on:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392/0

Read it all,  (It's good for ya)

Really good info there. Thanks a bunch for the link. I'm attempting the electrolysis method today after work.

I've also made the decision of purchasing a Harley sportster gas tank and custom fabricating some mounts for it. I'm planning on using that external filter method with the Harley petcock.

I will still be getting the rust out of my LS650 gas tank with the methods listed just so I have experience in dealing with this kind of trouble in the future, as well as giving a reference point to anyone else roaming forums to find a solution.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/30/15 at 21:07:29

That's a nice lookin' tank there.  Please post pics and report back on the electrolysis.

IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #14 - 08/31/15 at 09:00:19

chzeckmate wrote on 08/30/15 at 21:07:29:
That's a nice lookin' tank there.  Please post pics and report back on the electrolysis.

Thanks! I set up the tank for the electrolysis process before I went to bed, woke up and didn't have time before work to check on it. I'll be checking on it and taking pictures once I'm off work once again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rusty Tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.