Send Topic Print
Hot clutch cable...? (Read 55 times)
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot clutch cable...?
08/29/15 at 05:12:46

So i just got done cleaning the carb, adjusting valves, cleaning the gas tank, changing the oil+filter on my stock 87 savage.  As im putting everything back together, everythings going well.  I had a duralast battery in there for a while and im switching to the yuasa yb14l-b2.  Tested it plugged it in everything seemed fine but after a few minutes i notcied my clutch cable was warm and then eventually started smoking???  Im at a real stand still here not really sure what to check for.  My cable wasnt sitting on any terminals or anything just totally random.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Hot clutch cable...?
Reply #1 - 08/29/15 at 06:34:07

Well.....you fussed around with the battery and changed something.  If your clutch cable got hot....somehow it was getting electrical power run through it.

You are the only one that is there to look at the bike and trouble shoot it......find out where you got an electrical wire goofed up in the battery swap.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/29/15 at 06:35:46

Sounds like electricity passing through it. I'd check the battery.
I suggest everyone buy a float charger and build a pigtail with a two wire connector , cut the charger clips off, and then you have a place, on the bike, to just clip a meter and check the battery out and the charger simply plugs in.
Solder, gun, flux, wire, heat shrink, and , in the electrical department at Lowe's, for twentyish dollars, wire strippers, line up the right gauge slot, squeeze, it's done. Coolest, fastest,easiest strippers made.
Weller pistol grip, two stage gun, I've had mine since, well, it's thirty seven, changed many tips, been through several pounds of solder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 08/29/15 at 11:17:07

check under the tank to see if the cable and some wires have been smashed together.

Look under the clutch lever to make sure you haven't somehow pinched the wires to the clutch sensor switch in the closing area of the lever. My feeling is that the power is hitting the cable sheath somewhere farther down and under the tank seems like a great place for something like that to be hidden.

If you're pulling enough juice to turn the cable into a heater, I wonder why a fuse hasn't blown.

Make sure your ground connection is good.  Electricity's only purpose is to find a way to ground. It runs things by moving through them on its way to ground. It's on the cable either due to a short or a bad ground somewhere and the cable is a better ground than the ground is.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/29/15 at 13:46:16

Thanks guys, after the first post I went out and pulled the battery check some wires, didn't see anything out of the ordinary, put it back in and haven't encountered the problem again.  I didn't really do too much re arranging so I'm hoping I just had a pinched wire somewhere.  I'm gonna go through everything give a look to all your suggestions and let you know if anything odd pops up.  Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/29/15 at 14:24:36

Regardless of what caused the problem, this is the Kind of thinking that digs up answers..

Make sure your ground connection is good.  Electricity's only purpose is to find a way to ground. It runs things by moving through them on its way to ground. It's on the cable either due to a short or a bad ground somewhere and the cable is a better ground than the ground is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:37:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot clutch cable...?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.