Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small crack in Clutch Cover? (Read 55 times)
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Small crack in Clutch Cover?
08/28/15 at 12:59:00

So I just purchased an ls650 that hasn't been running. Loaded it up in my truck, and oil started leaking out of the bottom of the clutch cover.

I noticed this leak was caused by two things:

1.) The brake sensor wire mount was wedge in between the engine and the cover (Previous owner must have not noticed it was wedged when he was putting the cover back on.)

2.) There's a small crack in the cover.

MY QUESTION:

I know oil flows at a pretty high pressure, but would something like JB Weld be efficient enough to cover the small crack, or should I just cut my loss and go buy a new clutch cover?

Here is what the crack looks like:

Note that the crack is visible on the outer side of the cover as well.

The cheaper, and efficient answer the better  Wink

'87 LS650 Bobber Project (First Cruiser)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Small crack in Clutch Cover?
Reply #1 - 08/28/15 at 13:47:42

J.B Weld would work just fine here.  Clean it really well, rough up the surface, and apply a thin layer of J/B Weld after spraying it with disc brake cleaner to make sure there is no oil anywhere.

Let it cure overnight before mounting, and at least 24 hours before filling with oil and riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 08/28/15 at 18:44:40

Dave wrote on 08/28/15 at 13:47:42:
J.B Weld would work just fine here.  Clean it really well, rough up the surface, and apply a thin layer of J/B Weld after spraying it with disc brake cleaner to make sure there is no oil anywhere.

Let it cure overnight before mounting, and at least 24 hours before filling with oil and riding.

Thanks for the response! I'll give it a shot and post my results after!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/28/15 at 20:13:29

Press the epoxy into the crack. Then wipe it off. A fingertip will do nicely there. I'd shoot it with Berrymans B-12. It dries up and leaves no film. The grain of the cast will make a great foothold. Make sure the edge is still straight. A steel ruler.. If you have a high spot, time for some careful file work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiki
YaBB Newbies

aka HawaiianRey

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 08/29/15 at 09:40:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/28/15 at 20:13:29:
Press the epoxy into the crack. Then wipe it off. A fingertip will do nicely there. I'd shoot it with Berrymans B-12. It dries up and leaves no film. The grain of the cast will make a great foothold. Make sure the edge is still straight. A steel ruler.. If you have a high spot, time for some careful file work.

I'll go ahead and give that a shot as well! Going to be performing this today so I'll let you guys know how it goes!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:24:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Small crack in Clutch Cover?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.