norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Fuel petcock.
08/28/15 at 12:41:40

FWIW,
I have two bikes both have carburettors. one of course, is a Suzuki s40.

After I have ridden either one I usually turn off the petcock at the end of my street so that the float level in the carb is very low when it is parked in my garage. My thinking is that the rubber needle valve seat will be not under pressure when the bike is sitting.

Any comments?

I have a Raptor on the Suzuki.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fuel petcock.
Reply #1 - 08/28/15 at 13:50:08

I do the same with my bike....about a 1/2 miles away from my house I turn off the fuel, and the engine stops when I hit the end of my drive.

I do this so there is very little fuel in the float bowl to corrode or plug things up as it evaporates through the carb vent tubes.  If I don't ride for a while....no problem as there is no fuel in the carb that can turn to varnish or corrode anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 08/28/15 at 16:34:54

Dave,
Pretty much my thoughts.

Maybe someday this ethanol insanity will end!

Norman.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/28/15 at 17:54:44

Dave wrote on 08/28/15 at 13:50:08:
I do the same with my bike....about a 1/2 miles away from my house I turn off the fuel, and the engine stops when I hit the end of my drive.

I do this so there is very little fuel in the float bowl to corrode or plug things up as it evaporates through the carb vent tubes.  If I don't ride for a while....no problem as there is no fuel in the carb that can turn to varnish or corrode anything.

So, if someone has a petcock, fuel flow issue, AND they fire it up and ride away, they should be able to ride it at least a quarter mile flogging it.
So, the people who report
Power loss above middle RPM,
shouldn't be getting immediate answers of
Petcock
Tank vent.

They need to go ride, work with what it's doing, and drain and measure what is in the bowl, put it on Prime ( after proving free flow, fuel line in gas can ), then, knowing that the bowl is full, and it's warmed up, go wail on it.. And see if it will wind out.
If not, then the
I cleaned the carb twice
comes in question.
I'm hoping that guy is winning,, I don't remember what thread it was.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:34:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel petcock.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.