Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Easy way of jacking up the Savage (Read 352 times)
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Easy way of jacking up the Savage
08/27/15 at 20:58:33

Justed wanted to share with you guys a picture of how I lift the rear wheel off the ground.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/VduBpl/phone%20backup/Screenshot_2015-...

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Easy way of jacking up the Savage
Reply #1 - 08/28/15 at 01:32:44

I have a gravel driveway (well, mostly gravel and some hard pack clay). My floor jack wont move around out there very well.

I use one of these...works like a charm.

jack.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/28/15 at 14:34:50

Stu,

Who makes the jack and where did you procure it?

This is a pic of the jack that you use on your Savage?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 08/29/15 at 10:22:56

Thats a generic pic Kenny, I got mine at Harbor Freight if I remember correctly (could have been Northern Tool though, I'd have to look for the receipt)
It works better on the Honda Nighthawk because the swing arms are below the mufflers at the rear of the bike. For the Savage, the muffler gets in the way on the right side. I've used it to lift the front of the bike with the spindle inserts but havent tried it on the rear.

I only use it to stabilize the bike. I dont know if there is enough exposed axle on the rear to use the spindle inserts but I will try it and get back to you.
pic of the jack and the swap-able inserts.

front_or_rear.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 08/29/15 at 10:27:30

This is the jack I am looking at....70 buck on FleaBay. Much better suited to the Savage methinks.

pancake_jack.jpg

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #5 - 08/29/15 at 11:31:23

Stu,

The pic with the bike inset into the picture of the adapters looks like a Buell Blast. I have a Blast and if I could use the same jack to pickup the tail end of either bike it would really good and fast to use. I have a gantry that I use to pick up the bike and it works really good but it is slow to get the bike into the position that I want. Pic attached.

Kenny G

IMG_0278.JPG
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 09/01/15 at 11:43:00

Kenny, if the roll-on lift like I have will work for you on the Buell, then your problem is solved for $30 at Harbor Freight (or fleabay). When I use it on the Honda, it is completely effortless and very stable...enough that I have sat on the bike while it was up on that lift.

I checked the savage and although it does look like there is enough rear axle exposed on both sides to get the "hook" type attachments on, I'm a bit leery of it. I went looking for a DIY jack stand on google and came up with this. I had the parts already, took less than 20 minutes to make and works like a freakin charm. I cant believe how simple this was Shocked

lever_stand_wood.jpg

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 09/01/15 at 12:31:12

Stu,

I made one of $20.00 bike lifts when I had my Yamaha V-Star and it really worked good. I will have to give it a try on the Savage.

Here is a link to the stand.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Kenny G

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 09/02/15 at 10:12:15

Thanks kenny...that is the page I used to make mine Cool

Of course it is not an all-purpose jack stand. I wouldnt want to change a tire with just that stand, but for me...with a dirt/grass/gravel driveway it is perfect for tire inspection and oil changes...and didnt cost me one red cent.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 09/02/15 at 10:23:03

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/02/15 at 10:12:15:
Thanks kenny...that is the page I used to make mine Cool

Of course it is not an all-purpose jack stand. I wouldnt want to change a tire with just that stand, but for me...with a dirt/grass/gravel driveway it is perfect for tire inspection and oil changes...and didnt cost me one red cent.

I used the simple jack when I did my tires.  I included the eye bolts and tied down the bike.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 09/02/15 at 11:10:22

Awesome Tocsik! Note to self: add eye bolts Cool

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 09/02/15 at 11:32:57

Oh, and one other safeguard.  I drilled a 1" hole in the lift on the side opposite where the handle for the lift lays against the floor and inserted a pole in it so there's a pole/rod sticking out both sides while the bike is lifted.  It minimizes the chances of the jack rolling in either direction and dropping the bike.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
pointman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/02/15 at 11:59:33

An engine hoist or cherry picker and a couple of cargo straps worked for me. The height is adjustable and the wheels make it mobile.

IP Logged
pointman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/03/15 at 15:02:35

/Users/pointman/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2015/Mar 20, 2015/100_3525.JPG

IP Logged
pointman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/03/15 at 16:19:08

Here is what I used.

100_3525.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print