stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rear flat tire help
08/27/15 at 19:47:17

Was riding around today and had a flat on the rear, and it's a new tire that is only a few months old with about 500 miles on it. Ended up finding a 2 1/2" ring shank nail right in the middle of the tread pattern so no sidewall damage from the nail.  However, before I realized what the issue was I rode for a few miles until things got progressively more squirrely. Once I located the nail I pulled it out and used my emergency plug and inflation kit to plug the hole, but unfortunately since these are spoke rims and tube tires (I did the math after wondering why it didn't hold) the plug is useless since the air just bleeds out of he hole in the tube and out through the valve stem opening in the rim.

Anyhow, since I rode for a bit with the tire pretty much going flat as I nursed her into a nearby parking lot for safety and hoping they had an air pump, I am wondering if I risked sidewall damage from rolling on it while flat?  

Trailered it home and taking the tire to the shop tomorrow and I presume they will still patch the interior of the tire where I plugged it and likely instal a new rim strip and tube.  

Can they visually tell if the tire is toast or can there be internal damage they cant see, or are they pretty resilient tires? Steel belted in any way or just solid rubber? Pirelli MT66 140/90 15.  http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/pirelli-mt-66-route-mo...

I just don't want to have a blowout going 65mph with the tire shredding off of the rim all stemming from the weak point of the tire initiated by the nail hole and my subsequent plugging.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear flat tire help
Reply #1 - 08/27/15 at 20:08:00

mt66's aren't steel belted, I don't think many m/c tires are.

I did similar with a dunlop 401, it was the tread that looked like toast.

nail holes and pluging don't sufficiently damage a tire.
at least none that a savage will shred.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 08/29/15 at 09:01:45

Is it truly safe to ride on a rear tire that has been damaged and subsequently "fixed"? That rear tire is half of the tires on your bike. I would be very nervous about using it again. My car is a different story. I've got 3 more tires.

YMMV

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/29/15 at 16:25:06

I got a flat on a months old rear tire fifty miles from home. I put several cans of fix a flat in. It ran okay at speed, but got squirrelly at below thirty fivish,, When I got home and stopped it belched green slime and fix a flat and squatted.. I took it and had them put a tube in..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/30/15 at 22:39:09

so, just don't risk it and get a new tire?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/31/15 at 03:21:38

Was it a small sharp pointed nail....or a big bolt that made the puncture?

If the hole is small and there is very little cord was severed, it most likely will be fine.  If the hole is big and it broke a lot of cords....time for a new tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/31/15 at 05:39:14

What Dave said.

I've spent a lot of time busting flats.  If you get a nail hole or similar in the tread, plug it and you're good to go.  If there's a large hole in the tread, get a new tire.

If you ever have sidewall damage of any kind, get a new tire.  Yeah, I know there are ways to patch a sidewall but none of 'em are truly reliable...and most of the stress on your tire is in the sidewall.

..and fix-a-flat is 'orrible nasty stuff.  Sure it might get you a few miles farther down the road but you can forget patching or plugging the tire or tube.  More than 9 times out of ten the plug or patch won't hold if fix-a-flat has been used.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 08/31/15 at 07:34:56

small ring shank nail. i plugged it in the field trying to get home, so there could be cord damage on my part. the tech should be getting to it tomorrow and tell me what it looks like.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/31/15 at 10:58:55

You might not be able to get anyone to patch the hole you made with the spike before sticking the plug in. And I'd be leery of it with a hole that big and a patch between the tube and everything the world has in it that could get in that hole and eventually eat away at the patch. If you had not tried to plug it, I'd be for running it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #9 - 09/01/15 at 07:12:36

Personally, tires make me really nervous.  Not specifically tires, but when traveling on a 400+ lb. powered bicycle at 70 MPH with nothing between me and the road except my confidence in the rubber there I would replace it if you can swing it.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 09/01/15 at 07:23:19

Your tube is what keeps the tire inflated... a hole in the tire from a nail will not cause it to "shred" if it is in the corded tread part of your tire.

What will the odds be that another nail will hit the same small hole?
A patch to the tire will be sufficient to make the tire usable again, but buy a new tube! and if you haven't, have them replace the spoke rubber strap also.

If you rode it until the side wall was damaged, replace the tire... if you had no damage to your sidewall, the tire should still be good.

If you are having problems thinking the tire is not good, replace it.... there .... now you are not worried anymore Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/01/15 at 08:08:15

NOW, THERES a thought,  IF it was tubeless, Then ramming the spike to prep for the plug woulda been okay,,  so, it's okay,
Yeah, tires, kinda spooky, might not be totally objective, but he has a good point, run it. You're never gonna see 180MPH.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 09/01/15 at 19:55:45

The shop is ridiculously busy, and they haven't touched it yet. I rode a few miles on it nearly flat, so there could be sidewall damage or a higher propensity for it to want to start to give issues over time.

Wifey said to replace it, so with that I called and gave them the approval today. I will take the old tire home too as a backup if it's not totally shot and I ever need it in a real bind...plus it'll make a nice $150 piece of wall art for the shop alongside the two other factory IRCs. Tongue

« Last Edit: 09/02/15 at 04:34:31 by Dave »  

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/01/15 at 20:52:05

I cut a 4" section out of one of my worn out's for use as a bumper.
the dog stole it, chews on it all day.

No wonder they chase bikes.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear flat tire help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.