Send Topic Print
brake pads binding? (Read 85 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
brake pads binding?
08/27/15 at 08:25:52

I replaced the front brake pads last night and the wheel doesn't spin freely with everything bolted back up.  I can spin the wheel by hand but it doesn't continue to spin freely. Wheel spin was perfect with the caliper off.  

The pads appear to be seated in the slots and clips correctly.  They're EBC organic.  When I had the caliper unbolted (not the banjo, though) I cleaned things up as best as I could and applied brake grease to the visible sides of the piston before pushing it back in the caliper body.
I pumped the brakes a bunch after reassembly until the lever was firm again.  

What exactly is the mechanism for the piston to retract when you let off the brake lever?  
Is some amount of drag on the rotor normal with new pads?  

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: brake pads binding?
Reply #1 - 08/27/15 at 08:33:38

Some amount of drag is normal, even with old pads... It's just the way most disc brakes work...
...(they get hotter than snot after a ride too)... Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 08/27/15 at 08:35:24

Thanks 'bot.  I forgot to mention that I did not remove the master cylinder cover when I changed the pads, if that matters.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/27/15 at 08:40:03

Let's do some math.  Bike is a 2008 model...it is now 2015.....that makes it 7k years old.

Time to change the brake fluid!

And a little brake drag is normal...especially when the pads are new and have not been broken in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 08/27/15 at 08:54:07

Yeah, I know.  I've been reading up on the techniques, getting ready to do that.  It's still perfectly clear in the view window but I've not changed it since I've owned it which is now just over a year.

Any particular brake fluid recommendations?  I meant to look in my Clymer last night but forgot  Undecided.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/27/15 at 08:58:40

fluid type, I dunno, but allowing the master cylinder to fully drain is a seriously bad idea, waste some fluid, and cycle new fluid in, but if you let it drain sometimes getting it primed can be a real pain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/27/15 at 09:31:09

Tocsik wrote on 08/27/15 at 08:54:07:
Yeah, I know.  I've been reading up on the techniques, getting ready to do that.  It's still perfectly clear in the view window but I've not changed it since I've owned it which is now just over a year.

Any particular brake fluid recommendations?  I meant to look in my Clymer last night but forgot  Undecided.

If it's clear, no tint at all, it's ok.  But changing once a year aint bad either.  Any moisture in the fluid will cause corrosion.

I use cheap DOT 4, you'll use half a pt.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 08/27/15 at 09:37:07

Thanks guys.  I feel privileged to get answers from some of the top minds on this forum at the same time and so quickly!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #8 - 08/27/15 at 10:19:04

Do a bleed after any brake service. Hydraulic fluid is not compressible -- air is. Air in the system can cause residual pressure on the caliper piston, along with spongy brake performance.

But my experience is the same as above, There's always a little bit of contact bet. pads and rotor. The caliper piston doesn't exactly retract (there's no retraction mechanism), it just releases pressure on the pads.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/27/15 at 18:38:39

If no bleeder is opened, just squeezed the piston back, no lines removed, no need to bleed.
I don't add fluid to the car unless there is a leak. If there is no leak and the master cylinder is getting low, tells me the brakes are wearing low. If someone
Tops it Off FOR me, then I keep a big syringe with the brake fluid, I pull fluid off and dump it in the used oil division.. otherwise, squeezing the piston in will make it overflow..
Always pump the pedal/squeeze the lever, to get the pads to contact the disk.
Spongy pedal/lever says, bleed me. Pedal dropping with light pressure, sitting, master cylinder is bleeding past the piston in the master cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake pads binding?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.