Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Running hot? (Read 335 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Running hot?
08/25/15 at 09:01:17

My Savage has been sitting pretty much idle for weeks. I drove it for about 300 miles when I first got it, then started to mess around with the seat and saddlebags and turn signals and rectifier-relocation....so it hasnt been ridden.

About 4 weeks ago I started her up, let her idle for about 5 mins, then shut her down. I waited at least 15 minutes and then pulled the oil drain plug. The plug was still so hot you could not hold it in your hand. After the oil drained out with the bike more or less level, I re-installed the drain plug and put 2 bottles of Suzuki brand 10-40 oil. I didnt change the filter. I swapped the standard oil filler cap for a bling cap with the Suzuki logo on it, but that is the only thing I did "mechanically" to the engine.
Oil level showed just a hair above dead center in the observation window. I started her up again, let it run for just a minute or so, then shut her down. I havent run the engine since.

Today, I started her up to see if the battery was holding a charge. She started up fine, but seemed noisy. Then again, compared to the 250 Honda I have been riding, everything sounds noisy. I let her run for about 3 or 5 minutes, revving her just a bit from time to time. The engine sounds seem louder than the exhaust sounds. I shut her off again and she seemed REALLY hot. I mean like radiating heat to my legs through my jeans. After about 5 mins I checked the oil level...was still just above the middle of the window.

The exhaust pipe near the header seems to have discolored just from the 5 mins of idling. I'm posing a pic of before the oil change (with 300 of my miles and 4K from previous owner) and a pic I just took. Am I imagining things? The bike hasnt fallen over, the covers were not removed, nothing at all done to the engine between the 2 pictures besides the oil change.

Am I nuts?

pipe_color.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Running hot?
Reply #1 - 08/25/15 at 09:39:52

I would never recommend anyone just let their bike sit and idle for 5 minutes.  It has relatively low oil pressure at idle, it has no air flow over the cylinder and head, and the little cavity in the cylinder head where the cam lobes dip into the captured oil pool is not level....and the right side cam lobe might not be getting enough oil.

I start my bike, keep the rpm up about 2,000 rpm for about 30 seconds to move the oil around and get a bit of warmth into the engine, then ride off slowly.  I let the bike warm up for a few minutes and get a couple miles down the road before I ever apply any heavy throttle.  (The clutch can slip when the oil is cold and thick).  If I can't go for a ride....I don't start the bike up at all.

Bluing on the pipe is an indication of the exhaust being hot....most likely because you are not riding it an no air is flowing over the pipe.  It is not necessarily an indication your bike is overheating.....just hot from sitting still too much.

I don't know what to comment about the noise.  Perhaps the Suzuki oil is just a bit thin for your bike.  Rotella T is a 15W-40 oil and works really well in the Savage.

Go get some Blue Job to clean your pipe.....then stop letting it idle for so long and get out and ride the darn thing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/25/15 at 09:42:34

Well, dangitt, now I gotta go out to the shop and put another gold star by Dave's name...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/25/15 at 09:58:32

also, you haven't run more than a qt. of gas thru it in months, that gas is old and thick.  could be varnishing up your jets too.

and "suzuki brand oil" ?!?! haven't we taught you any better?
rotella, get some ZDDP in there.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/25/15 at 10:15:41

Mine's bluer... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #5 - 08/25/15 at 11:57:44

When in stop and go traffic mine get's quite hot with the stock lean jetting, hot enough to be felt through a heavy pair or jeans. How high is your idle? If too low the top end might not be getting enough oil which, AFAIK, can make it a bit noisy.
Also, are you sure you put enough oil on? Not sure how much two bottles are but the side usually says something like 1800ml, memory might be out on that one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/25/15 at 12:15:54

Noisy, and ruined.
The engine is an old design. Modern oils don't meet its needs. Pampering it by lavishing special, sanctioned oils on it is wasting money and sending it to an early grave. You have people here with 100,000 miles who run Rotella..
Why do other than what is proven to work And save money?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 08/25/15 at 14:55:02

First off, thank you Dave for the non-satirical reply and the tip on Blue Job...I just ordered some.

Ferous, I read that the bike takes 2 quarts even, if you dont do a filter change. seeing as the oil level is JUST above the mid-point on the window, it could probably use a couple more ounces.

As for the snarky remarks on the choice of oil, I bought a "suzuki oil change kit" with genuine suzuki oil and filter for the LS650 the same day I bought the bike. I didnt join this forum until a week later, so since I had it...I used it. The plan was to change the oil, ride it 200 miles, then change it again (being as the bike had not really been driven for a couple of years). I have a gallon of Rotella and will use it when I do the next oil change (and put in the new filter) which I will do within the next couple weeks.

The gas in the bike was fresh 6 weeks ago and has a couple cap-fulls of ZDDP in it. The carb probably DOES need cleaning but I am not at a point where I'm comfortable tearing it apart yet. I'll do it when I get the Dyna on and do the re-jetting as per info found here.

REALLY Justin? Noisy and ruined? Anyone ever tell you that your conversational skills are a bit lacking? Roll Eyes

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/25/15 at 15:10:26

snarkey?

I guess I have a long way to go before I'm up to JOG standard curmudgeon.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/25/15 at 15:13:43

ZDDP additive - redline, or whatever you've got - is supposed to be mixed with the oil, not the gas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/25/15 at 20:24:25

Stu, I've been here ten years. I'm typing on a Kindle. I'm a lot more concerned about the lives of the engines than sugar coating on the words.

If too low the top end might not be getting enough oil which, AFAIK, can make it a bit noisy.

Too low an idle and the cam eats the head.. And yeah, it's liable to be noisy.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 08/26/15 at 18:12:53

oldNslow wrote on 08/25/15 at 15:13:43:
ZDDP additive - redline, or whatever you've got - is supposed to be mixed with the oil, not the gas.

Note to self: Do NOT post when on pain medication (unfortunately that is most days lately).

I was of course "mixing my additives" Shocked I meant to say I added a few caps of Seafoam to the fuel.

And yes, I did add the ZDDP to the Suzuki oil when I changed it.

T-stormed most of the day here today, but will warm her up a bit tomorrow, drain the oil and change the filter, and then put the Rotella in and see what happens.

Justin I couldnt care less how long you have been here and if you were typing on a Blackberry from the International Space Station....my comment still stands. In a forum that caters to a multitude of people of every age, race, nationality, culture and geographical location, DELIVERY can be just as important as the information provided. Your delivery needs work in my humble opinion.

If that gets me in hot water or kicked from the forums, so be it.

Thanks again all for the info.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/26/15 at 19:46:34

If someone says some thing to you, I'll back you up. I know I ruffle feathers.
If someone chooses to ignore what I say because it isn't sweet and kind, I'm okay with that. I'm not a
Sunshine and Lollypops kinda guy. When I was fixing copiers my boss got complaints about three times a week. People wanted me fired. But, I fixed the problem. And he kept bringing money every week,after vacation and sick leave was used up,  when I was sick for six weeks. And, I went back to all those offices where they didn't like me, and fixed their copiers... I fix things, I'm not nearly as good socially as mechanically.
And I'm not likely to be anything other than direct and to the point.
Low idle RPM has been known to ruin a head and cover..
So, telling someone it can cause noise, while true, understates the problems associated with low idle. How did you need me to correct you and not hurt your feeling?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/27/15 at 01:55:32

If the medicine works it doesn't matter how it tastes.  We're men (most of us) and we burp, fart, and cuss...in between all of that gas we get things done.  I'd say worry less about intent and more about content.  Take what you can where you can and recycle the rest with the dirty oil.  

Having said that, I'd like to mention that my bike's temperament can change daily...hell it can change hourly depending on the variables in play.  You had this experience this time, but it might be nothing to worry about.  Maybe a few more runs for good measure?  I'll add that I've had bad experiences with manufacturer branded oil before.

I should also mention that with a big single like this you can expect a gold header pipe, maybe even blue.  I'd save the Blue Job for when you're ready to sell.  Blue Job works by removing the layer of the chrome that's discolored.  If you use it every time you notice the pipe getting gold you'll soon see rust coming through the chrome.  Blue Job is a once or twice in a lifetime thing imo.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #14 - 08/27/15 at 10:49:40

Justin o guy is a good man... you'll get to know him. He can be helpful and a hale fellow well met.

Keep in mind too, this is the internets... and we all type differently when we are at peace with the world as opposed to, say, if we happen to have 8 or 10 burning chigger bites in the crotch. I know I certainly do. I can be a monster on a bad day...  Tongue

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:33:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running hot?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.