Send Topic Print
Running hot? (Read 335 times)
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Re: Running hot?
Reply #15 - 08/27/15 at 12:11:08

I did my first oil change with the Suzuki synthetic as well.  I really think the engine hated that stuff.  It was $36 down the tubes.  I bought some Rotella off Amazon for $12 a gallon and it loves the stuff!  I do drop in a bit of ZDDP as well.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/27/15 at 18:42:25

And that twelve bucks will almost do it twice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 08/28/15 at 01:41:35

Roger that on the Blue Job chzeckmate....nice to know I have it if I decide to clean her up real good for some occasion.

Drover her about 12 miles today, then home, drained oil, removed and replaced filter (looked brand new), filled with Rotella to just a tad under the "too high" mark. Bike sounds MUCH happier.

Thanks again all.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/28/15 at 06:46:16

The Guzzi, picked up in Houston, and rode home to Longview, had blue pipes before I got out of town. What's wrong with that? I think they look right,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/28/15 at 09:53:04

It's a matter of aesthetic preference.  Some people want their bike to look like it's never been ridden, that showroom look.  Some people like to have a little evidence that they've been twisting the throttle, like a badge of ownership.  Eh, to each his own.  

I personally prefer my pipe to at least show some heat coloring.  It's like a warning to any curious kid that says, "WARNING HOT - DON'T TOUCH!"

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/28/15 at 13:52:54

The Savage has an inner and out pipe, which helps make it possible to avoid the blue (on some bikes).  My bike has 6,000 miles and no bluing.

Triumphs, BMW, Honda and most other bikes have a single wall pipe and can turn blue as soon as the bike is ridden.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/28/15 at 18:07:57

I made five thousand miles, still shining chrome, sitting in the driveway, revving it, trying to hear the valves, and looked down in horror,, it's Blue!
Ticked me off, eventually, I liked the look. Some months later I removed the header, sliced it up carefully, removed the inner pipe, and had a guy tig it back together. Yeah, it GLOWED red at night..
I indexed it as I cut, it fit, the welder was kinda tickled by the project and my help and putting things up, he didn't even charge me.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #22 - 08/29/15 at 10:10:37

chzeck, the bluing doesnt bother me because of the way it looks...my concern when I made this thread was that I got so much of it in such a short time. It's obviously an indicator of heat, and pipes get hot....no worries, but for the blueing to double in size from 5 minutes of idling? I was worried that I had an engine issue that was causing OVERheating.

Nice to know it can be removed if and when I decide to, but blued pipes dont take away from a bike's look IMHO.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #23 - 08/29/15 at 11:23:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/28/15 at 18:07:57:
the welder was kinda tickled by the project and my help and putting things up, he didn't even charge me.

TIG welders are a class apart. I learned this from observing my instructors in welding school.

Stick and MIG welders are earnest craftsmen. Oxyacetylene torch welders can be some real artistes.

But TIG people are often like brain surgeons in terms of being extremely good at what they do and knowing it, and just getting a kick out of their work, whether it be stitching together sheets of tinfoil or repairing $2000  turbine blades or running miles of flawless rope-like aluminum bead. They look at their bead and look at you and just grin. And you go, darn... Because they ARE good...  Wink

I went to TIG school thinking to get me a $75 an hour white lab coat job fixing jet turbine blades in a glove box full of argon. I applied at several aviation companies around town.

They laughed and said, Go weld up camper tops and yard furniture for five years, then come back and talk to us. I slinked away with tail between my legs, the smell of burning metal coming out of my ears. Back to gee-tar playing...  Sad

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #24 - 08/29/15 at 11:42:47

Sadly, a lot of the coolest TIG jobs are being replaced by robotics doing friction welds or other automated processes which generate near perfect joints, but without the stylish flair, and the machinery doesn't grin when it is finished... it just CAMS over to the next piece of work and lights the arc.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 08/29/15 at 12:36:55

If you can move to CA I got a job for you.

You'll be welding Ti, CRES and Inconel all day.

WWW   IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #26 - 08/29/15 at 12:45:09

What, Vers, are you getting tired of welding up another hole on those blasted chain tensioners?   Tongue

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 08/29/15 at 12:52:50

Seriously, I learned the hard way that the high end work on exotic metals is very hard to get. The skill, testing and knowledge required is daunting. The big earners are highly qualified, because in every case there is a lot of money and often a lot of lives riding on their work.

I ate my humble pie, and have a lot of respect for folks who can do that stuff.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #28 - 08/29/15 at 13:06:16

My only hands-on was with stainless steel (this was 20+ years ago in school.) Stainless is a booger to TIG weld... hard to control heat, hard to control warpage... you have to work incredibly close to the melt pool with the tiniest arc. If you ground the electrode into the pool you make a mess, if the arc gets a little long, runaway heat. I never got where I could relax with it. 15 or 20 minutes and I had a crick in the neck and frayed nerves...

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #29 - 08/29/15 at 13:12:58

Then my instructor would take my torch, run a couple inches of perfect, beautiful bead and I'm standing there thinking, you bastard...  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running hot?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.