Sanders said whaaat? (Read 60 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Sanders said whaaat?
08/23/15 at 21:17:18

I'm shocked and happy.

ts not all talk with the rising star of the Democratic presidential contender Bernie Sanders, the senator from Vermont says in September he will be introducing full federal legislation to abolish private for-profit prisons.

The announcement came at a campaign rally attended by approximately 4,500 supporters in Nevada on Tuesday.

Hillary Clinton, the former Secretary of State, has recently announced her candidacy for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination.
Clinton's Democratic Support Below 50% for the First Time as Sanders Rises
“When Congress reconvenes in September,” Sanders said, “I will be introducing legislation, which takes corporations out of profiteering from running jails.”

The senator spoke at length about unfair policies which disproportionately affect people of color and his plan to focus much of his campaign on the War on Drugs.

The senator is sure to face extreme backlash for his plans, as the private prison industry is massively profitable.  Between the two leading prison corporations, Corrections Corporation of America and GEO Group, they bring in over 3 billion dollars annually- much of which is used for lobbying lawmakers.

“We want to deal with minimum sentencing,” Sanders stated at the rally,“too many lives have been destroyed for non-violent issues. People that are sent to jail have police records. We have got to change that. Our job is to keep people out of jail, not in jail.”

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/us/20150821/1025999008.html#ixzz3jhcHJQ2K

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sanders said whaaat?
Reply #1 - 08/24/15 at 06:02:37

How long until he has an "accident"?

--Steve

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/24/15 at 06:59:55

I don't know - or care - enough about the prison deal to comment on that, but I can't help thinking about this possible nightmare scenario.

Repubs won't nominate Trump. He runs third party. Splits Repub vote. Hillary is forced to withdraw or doesn't get Dem nomination. Sanders does and winds up as the next president.

Whole country turns into Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, NYC, in the next four years.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/24/15 at 07:16:53

oldNslow wrote on 08/24/15 at 06:59:55:
Whole country turns into Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, NYC, in the next four years.

Neat trick...
How's he gonna' turn rural and suburban towns into densely populated urban centers?...
Roll Eyes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/24/15 at 07:24:38

What people don't know is that the prisoners are working for corporations, paid less than a dollar an hour, competing with the very troubled labor market. They release REAL criminals, which causes crime which justifies increased militarization of police, but they keep nonviolent criminals for
Working. AND, the state has signed contracts to Maintain the prison population at 90% or so, or , pay a penalty.
I am very troubled by that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/24/15 at 07:28:31

Serowbot wrote on 08/24/15 at 07:16:53:
oldNslow wrote on 08/24/15 at 06:59:55:

Neat trick...
How's he gonna' turn rural and suburban towns into densely populated urban centers?...
Roll Eyes...

The problems - drugs, crime, illegals, entitlement mentality, disproportionate amounts of tax dollars used for welfare , other stuff handed out to the free sh*t army, trickles down from those densely populated urban centers.

It's been happening for years in my state. Mid to Small sized cities are turning into little copies of the places I mentioned.

No trick at all. Just the right public policies from the top down.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 08/24/15 at 09:27:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/15 at 07:24:38:
What people don't know is that the prisoners are working for corporations, paid less than a dollar an hour, competing with the very troubled labor market. They release REAL criminals, which causes crime which justifies increased militarization of police, but they keep nonviolent criminals for
Working. AND, the state has signed contracts to Maintain the prison population at 90% or so, or , pay a penalty.
I am very troubled by that.

You're right. I didn't know any of that. Probably because there are no private prisons in New York. In fact they are banned here by a law passed in 2000 apparently. The little bit of reading I've done so far indicates that most corporate run prisons are in the southwest and in California and Florida. I still don't know enough to have an opinion but I guess I'll have to retract my comment that I don't care till I read some more.

I did find one thing I read interesting.  One article I read said that a large part of the population in  some of these places was illegal immigrants. Around here they don't deport many illegals  OR lock them up, at least not until they kill someone, so maybe the private joints are good for something.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/24/15 at 12:18:44

Thanks for spending time and learning. I'm really tired of dealing with people who will Not reconsider a position, regardless of evidence.

The point us, any profitable venture can be corrupted. IF it's profitable for Big People to see people convicted and imprisoned, well, anyone can do that   math.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 00:46:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Sanders said whaaat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.