linwiz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, KY
Chain tensioner
08/22/15 at 08:40:09

Hello all.
I am very new to bikes, and new to riding. I got my 96 LS650 a few weeks ago (and haven't rode yet!) and I am wondering if there is a way to check the chain tensioner without having to have a new gasket for reassembly?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Chain tensioner
Reply #1 - 08/22/15 at 08:48:45

You have to take off the clutch cover.  Most times it will not come off without tearing the gasket someplace.  It is better to have a new gasket just in case......

How many miles are on the bike?  Between 10,000 and 20,000 miles is the point that we expect the cam chain problem to first show up.  If  the previous owner rode hundreds of miles every time he fired up the bike......it might go longer - but the only way to know is to look.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/22/15 at 08:58:29

If you have one of those video inspection scopes maybe you can poke it in thru the oil fill port, but there's not much room for it.

WWW   IP Logged
linwiz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, KY
Reply #3 - 08/22/15 at 09:07:21

Dave wrote on 08/22/15 at 08:48:45:
You have to take off the clutch cover.  Most times it will not come off without tearing the gasket someplace.  It is better to have a new gasket just in case......

How many miles are on the bike?  Between 10,000 and 20,000 miles is the point that we expect the cam chain problem to first show up.  If  the previous owner rode hundreds of miles every time he fired up the bike......it might go longer - but the only way to know is to look.

13k miles, but I know this bike hasn't had the best life. It was previously owned by a minor, so probably looking at short trips, not sure how long she had it though. Just like I will be making short trips to start out.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 08/22/15 at 11:42:35

Gaskets are cheap, and a leak would suck...so do the math Cool

Versy has made a believer out of me. Knowing the bike was probably not very well cared for, and having 13K on her....I'd buy a gasket and check it, even if you arent experiencing any issues at the moment. Just my 2 cents.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/22/15 at 18:33:35

And if the tensioner spits its guts, it's dead... we saw one that let the tube out, and didn't destroy the engine... but we've seen a few that were ruined.
And we've seen
Pro Feshunnel mechanics destroy them doing an oil change.. filters Can be installed bakkerds,,, but, motor don't get oil.. And, usually blows up the oil filter cover..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
linwiz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, KY
Reply #6 - 08/22/15 at 19:46:39

What is either the best place to order a gasket, or the cheapest place to order one? Sorry for asking such simplistic questions, but I am used to working on cars, so I feel pretty lost in my new venture.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/22/15 at 19:56:34

I went through that. The bike is unfamiliar, intimidating,  
I bought my gasket from a shop. They stuck a CD in a machine, and a
Printer looking doohickey with a sharp point printed the gasket. Fourteen bucks, no credit card online, no waiting... The only downside is the glue ridges on the OEM aren't there, but you can study the old one and see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/22/15 at 20:01:59

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
linwiz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, KY
Reply #9 - 08/23/15 at 08:49:49

Thank you all for the information!

IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/23/15 at 13:02:17

I wonder if the clutch cover could be machined to take a rocker inspection cap.  It'd be easier to remove the two bolts in that just to take a peek.

How about just making a hole in it and sealing it with a rubber body plug?  There can't be that much pressure behind it.

...thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/23/15 at 14:24:50

the area that you need to see is behind the oil filter.

WWW   IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/24/15 at 04:36:48

What I was thinking, Versy is some sort of way to peek inside and see where the pin is when using one of your adjusters.  For instance, I just installed your adjuster (very nice!) but I still used the first hole, as the second would have far too tight - but it won't be after a while.  Bike has 10K on it now.  Even if you had to use a pen light and see at an angle it'd do the job.  Just wondering if it's even possible (or advisable in any case).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.