Send Topic Print
NEWBIE HELP (Read 738 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: NEWBIE HELP
Reply #60 - 08/30/15 at 18:25:21

You better know who is doing the work. Haul in an electrical problem, hat in hand, they have you over a barrel.
Did you get a wiring diagram?
Multimeter?
Nothing on the wiring harness is mysterious, you Can figure it out.
You'll learn some things, and , instead of hiring someone, you spend a third of that on
Shop manual
Multimeter
Tools.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 08/30/15 at 20:45:57

understood, thanks

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #62 - 08/30/15 at 21:17:44

I'd like to really underscore what JOG2 said.  I know it can feel overwhelming to deal with electrical stuff but you've got to shake that feeling.  Taking your bike in for an electrical problem is like giving out you atm card pin number.  Get the multimeter from Harbor Freight for $5.95 and use the wiring diagram to resolve your issue.  PM me your email and I'll send you the wiring diagram if you need it.  I recently had electrical issues and felt just the way you do but with the encouragement of the members here and some persistence I resolved it.  You'll feel like a million bucks resolving it yourself too.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 09/09/15 at 13:34:38

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/28/15 at 01:26:32:
Can our Savage motor be rotated by hand? Like, putting a wrench with a pipe on it for leverage and trying to turn the drive pulley manually?

Knowing if the piston is jammed up seems to be a priority, no? Even trying to push the bike in 2nd  (or even 3rd) gear for a couple of feet with the spark plug removed would at least tell you if it was seized.

I never looked at our starter before...can they be bench tested like a car starter? Just hit it with jumper cables and see if it engages and spins? Can the flywheel be rotated from the starter area access point?

Your starter relay should click twice (if you listen very carefully). Like any electro-mechanical relay, it will click loud when energized and softly when the start button is released and the contacts re-set. If it clicks every time you hit the starter, I would assume that the solenoid/relay contacts are OK and getting power. Whether the battery voltage is actually getting to the starter motor needs to be verified.

Try to start it at night in the dark. If the headlight dims when you hit the start button, that would seem to indicate that the starter is getting voltage but is being mechanically held back (the lights dim because the starter motor stalls). If the headlight doesnt dim at all, then I'd think no juice was actually getting to the starter motor, even though the relay contacts might be engaging.

Just a thought.

So all lights completely dim to nothing when i hit start button. I tried to turn 17mm nut to turn engine by hand with no success. I pulled plug and put just a bit of oil in , no change. Starting to get disappointed and pretty concern i bought a seized motor.

so please walk me through testing it in gear.
ignition switch on, put in high gear, and roll? wont it lock up with out the clutch on?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #64 - 09/09/15 at 13:46:21

CAPT CRUNCH wrote on 09/09/15 at 13:34:38:
So all lights completely dim to nothing when i hit start button. I tried to turn 17mm nut to turn engine by hand with no success. I pulled plug and put just a bit of oil in , no change. Starting to get disappointed and pretty concern i bought a seized motor.

Dim to nothing? how long are you pushing the button?  anything more than a few seconds and you risk burning up your starter in the stalled condition.  10-15 seconds when spinning.

Quote:
so please walk me through testing it in gear.
ignition switch on, put in high gear, and roll?
wont it lock up with out the clutch on?

you don't need ig switch on unless you're trying to start it.
if you're just trying to see if it will spin, then I'd take sparky out, make sure the top is clean 1st.
put it in a big gear, easier to turn.
I'd also put an ounce of tranny oil on top of the piston if it's locked up.
Let it soak for at least an hour, but over nite is better.

WWW   IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 09/09/15 at 14:04:45

Then just push it forward .. Clutch on ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #66 - 09/09/15 at 15:00:46

CAPT CRUNCH wrote on 09/09/15 at 14:04:45:
Then just push it forward .. Clutch on ?

what would that accomplish?

WWW   IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 09/09/15 at 17:16:40

Right stupid question..

So I put a solid effort to push it,  couldn't get it to budge

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 09/10/15 at 03:15:51

If you can't turn the engine over with the 17mm socket on the end of the crankshaft........that certainly is not a good sign.  Even with the spark plug in, an engine in good shape will turn over pretty easily until you come up onto the compression stroke.

Your engine definitely sounds like it is locked up.  So.....do you have the needed experience to tear it down and fix it - or do you look for a good used engine - or do you sell this for parts and get a running bike?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: 2006 Savage.. Project
Reply #69 - 09/23/15 at 18:53:38

It's not just that your decomp solenoid is out of adjustment is it?  What is the symptom that you say your engine is locked?  Have you pulled the spark plug and tried turning it over with a socket on the left side crank nut  under the cap with the straight slot?

WWW   IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2006 Savage.. Project
Reply #70 - 09/23/15 at 19:26:08

Tried that, tried pushing it in 5 aswell .. Nada

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 10/02/15 at 07:58:46

Alright, I got the motor unlocked by yanking on the rear wheel. I have a good spark, fuel, air.. but weak compression. I had a potential buyer (with  mucho experience) look at it. He came to the conclusion that it was most likely ran out of oil. Due to the blue coloring on the pipe. He did say he saw some wear/depressions on the cylinder or piston. He also determined that the compression was weak with his finger..

Any who, i'd really like to hear it run to listen for damage. piston or crankshaft, hopefully not both.

any suggestion on firing it up with low compression?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #72 - 10/02/15 at 08:24:06

IF he saw a depression in the piston, it's likely you have a burnt piston.
This will jam the rings and they won't expand to the cylinder.
Did you put in some oil on the piston?  I hope so.

Bluing not an indication of running out of oil, but running lean.

Here's my experience with a burnt piston...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1228237514/0

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #73 - 10/02/15 at 08:30:04

The blue pipe doesn't prove or disprove anything.  They can turn blue on bikes that are healthy and running great (Serowbot).....and some pipes don't ever turn blue (mine)....(Serowbot does have 5 times the mileage on his bike that I do).  The one thing that can turn them blue is idling for long periods of time without moving.....like in a traffic jam.

Not sure you can ever get an engine with really low compression to start.  It may not be able to provide enough compression to allow the fuel to ignite.  The only way to know for sure if you have a compression problem is to install a gauge and get an actual reading.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe if you were to try and start the bike by jump starting it by putting it in gear had having some big strong friends push you.....then you might get the engine spinning fast enough to get a bit more compression going before it leaks past the piston and rings.  But there is no guarantee.

If it were my bike.

1)  The first thing I would do is take a compression test and see what it says.
2)  If the compression is low - I would remove the cylinder head cover and inspect the rockers and camshaft.  If those are worn out and the valves are not opening - the compression could be low.
3)  If the cam and rockers look good and the cam timing is correct - then it is time to remove the engine from the frame and pull the head and cylinder and see what they look like.
4)  Based on what you find from the above 3 steps....then you need to decide if you want to rebuild the upper end or get a used engine.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 22:26:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEWBIE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.