Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What kind of gas do you use? (Read 231 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What kind of gas do you use?
Reply #15 - 08/22/15 at 06:31:30

I believe the modern gasoline is actually cleaner and does keep the fuel system clean and doesn't do any harm.....provided that it is used regularly. (Although there are some rubber or nylon fuel lines, diaphragms and O-rings that are dissolved by the ethanol).  As you indicated any kind of non-use or storage is very hard on the equipment that has ethanol in the fuel.  Stihl recommends removing all fuel from their equipment if you are not going to use it for 2 months.

I believe that fuel injected systems are more able to resist problems with the E10 - as the system is closed and the fuel in the injection system is sealed and not exposed to air and moisture.  In a carb system the gasoline portion of the fuel can evaporate, and what it leave behind is mostly ethanol.  This ethanol absorbs moisture and can corrode aluminum parts easily.  I did a long term fuel test and found that the premium fuel I used in my test started to phase separate in 50 days of storage, and an ethanol/water sludge started to form in the bottom of the bottle.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1382699778

If your equipment is stored in an insulated garage and is not subject to the temperature and humidity swings that occur each day/night, it is less subject to damage.  Equipment store outdoors or in open carports or non-insulate building is more subject to damage.

I believe the E10 is fine in fuel injected equipment, and that the pure gasoline works better in carbs.  It would be nice if the EPA allowed us to put the fuel in our equipment that it was designed to use (E10 for fuel injection, gasoline for carbs) - however the EPA agenda really prefers that we stop using our old non-compliant equipment and replace it with more modern and less "dirty" equipment.  They could really care less that our old stuff is being damaged by the ethanol in the fuel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 08/22/15 at 07:41:57

And another thing... Grin...
...particularly for motorcycles, (since our tanks are small)...

When you pay extra for Premium that you don't need,...the first half gallon or so, is usually regular anyway... because the lines hold about that much...

When I fill up, I usually get 1.2 to 1.4 gallons... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 08/22/15 at 07:57:04

Serowbot wrote on 08/22/15 at 07:41:57:
And another thing... Grin...
...particularly for motorcycles, (since our tanks are small)...

When you pay extra for Premium that you don't need,...the first half gallon or so, is usually regular anyway... because the lines hold about that much...

When I fill up, I usually get 1.2 to 1.4 gallons... Tongue...

This is one of the problems with the "blender" pumps..which dispense all three grades of fuel from the same hose.

It is also one of the reasons that the E15 issue is being so hotly debated.  If the EPA mandates that the 15% ethanol fuel be made available at all pumps - you could get a dose of E15 in your tank that would then mix with the E10 that you are trying to buy.  The combination of the two would increase your ethanol content above 10%, and no motorcycle is rated to use anything above 10%, and it could damage your engine.

Some pumps still use separate pumps or hoses for the different grades......try to find those pumps if you are using Premium (those folks with Wiseco or Woessner pistons).  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #18 - 08/22/15 at 09:05:15

Another vote for, Non-Oxy gas, (Gas without Ethanol)

And Never, NEVER, mix oil, (2 cycle), with ‘Ethanol gas’,  NEVER !

Now, the 10%, ‘Listed’, stuff, is NOT, always 10%.
It varies, and even the Station OWNER does not know.
(Yes, it can make it perfect, but they don’t)
For the, 'commuters’, Keep track of your MPG.
Your are (mostly) driving the same way, each day.
With the 10%, your MPG will change,  Much Much more,
than your MPG with ’Non-Oxy’ gas.

(And with Corn Prices down, I suspect the, ‘mixers’, are putting in More, Ethanol)
So now you have a someone, who filled up with E-85, (That’s what is in the hose)
And you put 1.5 gallons of, (what is marked E-10) but could be E-12.
(If you run that out, in a couple of days, probably not a problem)
If not, could be big problem.

Remember, this, Internal Combustion Engine, (ICE) Even if it is a 2015 model.
Was NEVER, designed to use, Ethanol Gas.
Some ICE’s were, some are today, but they are ‘Designed’ for it.
This ICE, is NOT.

Stations around me, can only get 91 oct, ’Non-Oxy’,
so that is what I use. Wish their was some 88 oct, ’Non-Oxy’.

If you have a place to store gas, and some, Good, gas cans.
Find a place that sells, ’Non-Oxy’,  and fill the portable tank, then fill the MC from that.

But, if it a, ‘Blend’ pump, Make Sure, you put a 1/2 gal, in your car/truck,
Before, you fill the tanks.

Cause the EPA, Just don’t care.  Look how much they care, about KILLING, THOUSANDS,
of Fish, Wildlife, Domestic animals. And grossly enlarging the lives, of Several Thousands of Humans.
Who used that water for drinking, irrigation, bathing.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 08/22/15 at 19:50:44

Just food for thought: Can the ethanol be separated and disposed of cheaply? I'm not looking to build a chem lab in my garage, just wondering!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/22/15 at 21:28:23

And Never, NEVER, mix oil, (2 cycle), with ‘Ethanol gas’,  NEVER !

Wuhh? Whammi gonna put in the we deeter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #21 - 08/23/15 at 01:26:26

Kris01 wrote on 08/22/15 at 19:50:44:
Just food for thought: Can the ethanol be separated and disposed of cheaply? I'm not looking to build a chem lab in my garage, just wondering!

Do you have access to distilled water cheaply?
In theory the major gripe with ethanol is that it's hygroscopic, it loves to cuddle up with water vapor and sink to the bottom of the tank where it'll do all sorts of nasty business.
Continuing this theory you could add a spritz of water to the E10 mix in a closed container and let the ethanol and water settle out before tapping it off leaving pure gasoline to tap onto your bike..

Edit: Seems like some guys over at GoldwingDocs got it down: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14679

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 08/23/15 at 04:13:11

You can use E10 with 2 cycle mix - you just can't store it for extended periods (more then a month is my limit).  I mix my fuel in a 1 gallon can and use it up quickly

I heat with wood, I have 3 Stihl chains saws, 2 weed whackers and a leaf blower, and they have been running on the E10 for years.  I tried Avgas for a year and they just don't run as well on it (even with carb adjustments), and when I can get pure gas I do - but E10 works fine as long as it is fresh.  When it starts to get old the mix oil can settle out, and this becomes a real problem as you may shake your fuel can before you pour - but I have never seen anyone shake their saw before starting it!  A lot of piston/cylinder seizures have occurred when somebody grabs their saw (or weed whacker, blower or tiller) that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months and fires it up with old fuel in it.  When the phase separation occurs the gas and oil end up floating on top of the tank and the ethanol and water are on the bottom......and that is right where the carb gets the fuel from....the bottom of the tank.

You all can mix E10 with water if you want and try and get pure gas - it just isn't worth the hassle to me. You can't do that when you are out riding and need fuel, and I am not convinced that stripping ethanol out of gas doesn't strip out some of the needed additives.   Fresh E10 works OK....just don't let it  sit for very long.  When my stuff goes into storage it either is drained completely, or gets Avgas 100LL or Torco racing fuel from the gas station near the local drag strip.

For a few years I followed the ArboristSite.com forum....folks who cut wood for a living and are severe chainsaw hobbyists.  The consensus on the forum is that E10 is fine when fresh, 50:1 mix ratios with modern synthetic fuel is fine for all new and vintage equipment, and never store your equipment with fuel in it.  The fuel can sitting in the bed of the truck......full sun during the day and the dewey damp nights....that is not be best way to treat your 2 cycle mix.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaw.9/

« Last Edit: 08/23/15 at 10:26:30 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/23/15 at 09:12:29

Okay, Dave, I've seen the bike, I've read the posts, I know what kinda troubleshooting and repair, and I used to heat this place with wood, No small feat with bad rotator cuffs, but, everything I've seen leaves me with two choices, Well, there's room between, I could hate ,   but,  dude, you Da MAYUN!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What kind of gas do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.