Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any oversize floating front brake discs? (Read 126 times)
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Any oversize floating front brake discs?
08/20/15 at 19:24:39

I saw a few on photos in the forum here set up with Yamaha calipers or others.  I can't find a floating or oversize disc that fits our 4 bolt hub pattern. I picked up an old Yammy caliper I can get to work with an adaptor.  Let me know if you have one where you got it.  Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Any oversize floating front brake discs?
Reply #1 - 08/21/15 at 04:02:59

The only one I know of is the one that RycaShawn makes.  He has the stock brake disc machined to work as the center mount for the floating disc, and makes an adapter to mount a 4 piston caliper.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1391549028

I have been riding on mine all summer....and it works great!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #2 - 08/21/15 at 06:34:34

Machined the stocker, brilliant!  How did I miss that. Ya I'm trying to do the mod solo as he seems to be offine now.  Maybe I'll look for a 320mm rotor and take to a machine shop. Someone else I think dd the same, SavageBob maybe.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/21/15 at 07:47:54

That's the only successful front brake upgrade that I can recall.
The only other way has been to convert the whole front end to the savage as I have done.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/21/15 at 08:37:46

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 08/21/15 at 06:34:34:
Ya I'm trying to do the mod solo as he seems to be offine now.  Maybe I'll look for a 320mm rotor and take to a machine shop. Someone else I think dd the same, SavageBob maybe.

Shawn is online....if you send him a message or email he will respond.  The fellow that was machining his brackets got so busy on a big order that he was not getting to the parts Shawn needed, and Shawn found another fellow to make them.  I expect they will be ready soon.

SavageBob has a RycaShawn brake from the earlier kit - which used a specially made center piece, and a different bracket and caliper.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #5 - 08/21/15 at 10:09:10

Cool, I'll see if I can hit Shawn up for an adapter& rotor. Must be a good chance of locking the front.  I had those on an FZ6 and locked it up several times...  brake and forks and my 4 year Ryca project will be complete haha.  Cheers D Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/21/15 at 10:24:51

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 08/21/15 at 10:09:10:
Must be a good chance of locking the front.  I had those on an FZ6 and locked it up several times...

The brake is much more responsive and much stronger than stock- but I have not found it to be overly sensitive or eager to lock up.

If you are a bit uncertain or clumsy about using a front brake, and squeeze like mad without regard to pavement conditions and take into consideration if you are in a straight line or a curve.....I betcha it could be made to lock up.  I generally brake with just one or two fingers on a motorcycle with good brakes (Panic or hard stops requires the whole hand and a firmer squeeze).

8-21-2015_1-24-46_PM.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/21/15 at 11:06:05

After seeing complaints about the anemic brake, I decided to test it. At about forty , straight and dry, low grade asphalt, but not real hot, so it wasn't greasy, I started applying,, and kept increasing, till the tire squealed a bit and I got skeert..
It's not a stoppie bike or brake, but, if you're healthy, the brake will do it.
Would it Keep doing it? It's not a racing setup, but the brake will skid the tire. That's all the brake the bike can use. It felt linear enough, no grabbing, so, I decided I didn't need to upgrade the hose or anything. EBC pads, in good shape, not old,
FWIW,  I weigh about 150.
And had a tire I was happy with. Mita been a Dunlop, certainly not the OEM junk.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/21/15 at 11:24:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/15 at 11:06:05:
After seeing complaints about the anemic brake, I decided to test it. It's not a stoppie bike or brake, but, if you're healthy, the brake will do it.

I will admit that in the Dragon runs we have never had a Savage that didn't have adequate brake available - but Oldfellor did get his rotor some interesting colors a time or two.

When I went "Cafe", it shifted weight onto the front wheel and made it possible to use a lot more front brake to slow down or stop at the "limits".  I also have the stickiest tires I can get in this size (Pirellis Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax BT45).  The weakest link in the ability to stop quickly was the amount of pressure I had to use on the brake lever....it required all 4 fingers and a really hard squeeze.  When that hard squeeze was added to the pressure on my wrists, it was just plain uncomfortable when going downhill and braking hard.

Do you need the bigger brake?.....probably not.
Does the bigger brake look cool?....Yep.
Do I like my bigger brake?.....Absolutely!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/21/15 at 12:23:45

amount of pressure I had to use on the brake lever....it required all 4 fingers and a really hard squeeze.

Roger that. If I was Gonna be a regular on a road like that, I would upgrade. And I would recommend it to anyone who wants to really challenge themselves in the corners. My
Setup
for the corners I was dragging pegs in was nothing to brag about. I'd look at the line and try to get it as right as I could and just use light braking and down shift and try to get the lean and apex and start accelerating out as early as I could. Anyone with good brakes could have flown by me, shut down and be in the apex as I was starting to get it leaned over. I'm not saying it's a waste, depends on the rider. For some people, it's a waste to open the exhaust, put in a cam, jet, because they ride so conservatively all they are going to
Gain
is fewer MPG and a nicer sound. They will never feel the better acceleration.

Question.

IF someone is gonna upgrade the brake, then ,since less pressure equals more stoppage, do they need to upgrade the hose?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/21/15 at 13:00:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/15 at 12:23:45:
IF someone is gonna upgrade the brake, then ,since less pressure equals more stoppage, do they need to upgrade the hose?

There will actually be less hydraulic pressure in the hose....as the larger disc and 4 piston caliper requires less squeeze pressure to do the same amount of work as the stock brake.

However.....I did install a different hose as the location of the brake caliper is just a bit different and a shorter hose can be used....and I got a much nicer and sleeker hose from Venhill.  The smaller diameter hose can help to reduce the flex and make for a less spongy feeling brake.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #11 - 08/21/15 at 18:48:11

[quote author=1D262B3C2D213A3C272F223D4E0 link=1440123879/0#10 date=1440187208]justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/15 at 12:23:45:
IF someone is gonna upgrade the brake, then ,since less pressure equals more stoppage, do they need to upgrade the

However.....I did install a different hose as the location of the brake caliper is just a bit different and a shorter hose can be used....and I got a much nicer and sleeker hose from Venhill.  The smaller diameter hose can help to reduce the flex and make for a less spongy feeling brake.

I probably want the sponginess as insurance against an unwanted stoppie  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/21/15 at 19:23:25

I don't know that the bike, with the cruiser style rake and all, Can do a stoppie. I did get the front tire to squeal AND I, too, have come to a halt, still seated, feet on pegs, because I put One finger lightly on the brake, on a gravel road, going under ten MPH, on a Guzzi. Broke all kindsa stuff, twisted the forks in the triple tree a little,, but I could ride it. That was in Hot Springs and I hadda ride it back to Longview Texas.
Gravity works QUICKLY and without remorse.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 08/21/15 at 21:09:43

My older brother used to live in Longview. He moved to Wascom. Oil derricks are all over the place (including in people's backyards). The water was yellow and greasy and hard to drink.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/21/15 at 22:24:24

Actually, I have a Gilmer address. Almost twelve acres, boonies, water is decent, but, they're fracking. Probably ruin the water in five years.m

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:29:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any oversize floating front brake discs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.