Send Topic Print
Computer removal (Read 198 times)
azsavage91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Computer removal
08/18/15 at 22:13:38

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and have already gained so much knowledge from you guys. Here is my question. I got a crazy idea to remove the computer from my bike.  I am not a fan of ecu's. Ask my 12v dodge hahah. My question is, has anybody already done this yet? As well as any leads on how to start this project. I will be taking alot of pictures and will document everything.  Thank you guys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Computer removal
Reply #1 - 08/18/15 at 22:19:16

WD has been threatening to do it from day 1.
but it would not be an easy conversion.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 08/19/15 at 00:15:59

Ummm, which computer is that? Surely there's only the ignition control module black box? There's no EFI, knock sensor or body control module to worry about. Not here, anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/19/15 at 03:57:41

We have 2 items that could be called "computers".  The ignition control module and the decompression controller.

The ignition control module takes the signal from the trigger at the rotor and turns it into an electrical impulse to the coil for a spark to occur.  I have no idea if a spark advance is built into it.....or if it has a rev limiter.  Some have claimed that it is used on another bike that has rev limiter....but it is so high that our bike will never get there.  In order to remove this you would have to come up with a way to mount a set of points, a cam to operate the points, and then a condenser and coil.  Not sure what you would gain other than the ability to repair the system with "universal" parts if something would fail.

The decompression controller does 2 things.  When you push the starter button the first thing that happens is the decompression solenoid is activated, then the starter relay is energized, and after a revolution or two the decompression solenoid is released and the bike starts.  This system can be eliminated if you go to a manual decompression lever.  For instructions on how to remove this controller go to the RYCA website.

« Last Edit: 08/19/15 at 05:46:25 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/19/15 at 05:32:09

WD hates electronic ignition so bad,,  if that guy woke up in a hospital and found out he'd passed out, hit the ground and got hauled in and they hadda put a pacemaker in, I swear, he'd rip it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/19/15 at 06:33:56

In days of old,..
I've spent many an hour filing points on the side of the road...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 08/19/15 at 09:33:32

azsavage91 wrote on 08/18/15 at 22:13:38:
I got a crazy idea to remove the computer from my bike.

Preparing for an EMP attack I guess. An S40 wouldn't be my post apocalyptic vehicle of choice.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 08/19/15 at 10:57:57

Remember seeing the schematic of the ignition module once a while back. Always have been interested in finding out how to rework it and get a manual or custom preset spark advance. Just another one of those roundtoits that never came around.
 I would think the best spot for a regular points style ignition would be on the head running off the cam. Make it a single spark system instead of a double spark. Just pop the plastic plug off that covers the end of the cam and take it from there. Wouldn't be easy, even a retrofit off something else would be a lot of work.
 Thanks for another itch I can't scratch Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/19/15 at 11:51:45

there's a couple of bikes with what you're describing.
With knowing that the chain stretch will affect cam timing by 1° per .010", I wonder if these bikes have an issue with it.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/19/15 at 12:51:11

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/15 at 11:51:45:
With knowing that the chain stretch will affect cam timing by 1° per .010", I wonder if these bikes have an issue with it.

Well you account for that when the timing is set.  The points will wear out, the fiber block that contacts the lobe on the cam wears.....and you have to replace that set of points regularly.   The stuff required maintenance to keep it running.

That is why we got away from all that mechanical crap and went to electronic crap! Shocked

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 08/19/15 at 14:53:12

Dave wrote on 08/19/15 at 03:57:41:
We have 2 items that could be called "computers".  The ignition control module and the decompression controller.

With respect, I feel you're arguing about that on principle. If you want them to be computers you might as well call the valve train a mechanical computer. Those devices perform one function, based on signals from somewhere else. They don't process data. They're just elaborate switches. But what do I care  Roll Eyes
Be interesting to see how the OP gets around the ignition control problem, anyway. Good luck.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/20/15 at 04:25:39

Well......I was just picking the 2 things that the original poster might be referring to as "computers" and could potentially be removed.

And technically you are correct....our Ignition controller does not have a knock sensor or temperature sensor or anything that allows it to monitor the engine and make adjustments (compute).  If it does have a spark advance built in, it reads the rpm and makes an adjustment based on an internal "program" without monitoring anything.

Personally I believe our ignition system is far more reliable than the old points/condenser/coil system and I am keeping mine.  I have removed the decompression controller as I didn't have room under my new tank for the solenoid.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 08/20/15 at 05:48:18

I'm with Dave on this one, remember when points ignitions were common for automobile engines. Still remembering retrofitting the older engines with pointless solid state distributors. It's the difference between "Old School" and "Old Fool" why make a bike less reliable.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 08/20/15 at 09:02:30

I can remember as a child in the 1960's and 1970's seeing broken down cars along the roads we traveled. In 1981 I owned a '69 Camaro that would leave me stranded if the roads were too wet - all due to the points getting wet.

I'm not anti old school; I have a 1972 Datsun 240Z that I just love working on. Setting the points and sync'ing the carbs is a fun annual ritual.

But there is a reason electronic ignitions completely replaced mechanical units in the span of about 3 years during the late '70's - They work. They work better and more reliably.

Why kluge a system that will not perform as well as the system that isn't causing you problems right now?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/20/15 at 09:10:05

It's rare to see failure in the ignition module. Points and all the mechanical gizmology to make them work create failure points, weight, and certain maintenance. I wouldn't mind an old pickup, vent windows, kick panel vents, dizzy and points, but I can haul tools and stuff easy, access, EASY, and no stand to sink in the dirt, hood to work under if it's raining. Heck, I put the head on an old six banger Chevy pickup in the rain. Plenty of room under there with the hood almost shut.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:25:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Computer removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.