Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backfire when key is turned off (Read 103 times)
rayce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfire when key is turned off
08/18/15 at 20:13:04

My S40 has a really loud backfire when i turn the key off. That is the only time it does it. i replaced the petcock with a raptor one. that is the only mod on the bike.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Backfire when key is turned off
Reply #1 - 08/18/15 at 20:17:02

Sounds normal. What year? Stock jets in the carb? You can tune out most of the backfires but not all of them. Learn to like it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 20:21:23

Some folks pull the choke and shut it down (I have never done that), some just pull up in first gear, clutch in, and put down the kickstand (it will kill it when in gear most times without a bang), then turn everything off.
I turn off the gas..... let it idle for about 30 seconds or so, then shut off the key...8 times out of 10 it won't pop loud.... just go "poof"....
But I've done the spacer mod and adjusted my fuel/air needle....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 08/18/15 at 20:43:06

You can also hold the brake and let the clutch out slowly to slow the engine to the point of dying. It will just shut off with no bang.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Reply #4 - 08/19/15 at 19:53:43

Mine does this all the time. Wont back fire while riding but right when I kill the bike after riding for a little while it will back fire. just like a fast "ssss thunk" sound

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/19/15 at 22:31:32

rayce wrote on 08/18/15 at 20:13:04:
i replaced the petcock with a raptor one. that is the only mod on the bike.

Check to make sure the vacuum port on the right side of the carb is properly plugged.

When I did the raptor conversion, the cap I put on it fit tight, but would still leak. I put some RTV sealant around the nipple, put the cap back on, let it cure overnight and my (((loud))) backfiring went away.  It still went 'poof' on shutdown, but not a bang.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #6 - 08/21/15 at 07:07:46

Two things cause a bike to backfire or "Pop" when rolling off the throttle or on shut down. One is the carb is jetted too lean as with our stock Savage carb. The other is a straight pipe or straight through muffler with NO internal baffle......they ALL backfire when you roll off the throttle unless you jet them very rich which isnt good for performance or economy. Some mufflers with an internal baffle have a smaller hole straight through the baffle....these will still "pop" and backfire on deceleration or shut down but not as bad as an open pipe.

Kudos to Dave for posting the S&S You Tube video.....it tells you all you need to know about jetting carbs and open mufflers/pipes.

Just in case you missed it - here it is again...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:24:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire when key is turned off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.