Send Topic Print
rear tyre (Read 54 times)
irishjake
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rear tyre
08/18/15 at 07:49:21

Are there any 150 wide tyres that will fit without altering the swinging arm?  My bike is being bobbed so rear fender rubbing is not an issue.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: rear tyre
Reply #1 - 08/18/15 at 09:34:51

Not a common question, and, some have seen fender clearance issues with a Dunlop 140 /90, when I had no problem at all.. so, either two tires are different or the bikes are not the same...
The belt to tire gap you have, measure it. Figure out what the wider tire will do. Look up the tire you have and the one you want and see if you can find physical dimensions other than the stuff printed on the tire.

You know wider tires affect the nimble handling, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 09:55:30

The narrow rim on a Savage really isn't suited for a 150 wide tire.

If you mount a 150 tire on the narrow stock rim, the beads of the tire will be pulled in too far, and the tread of the tire will make a very rounded cross section to the tread.  The bike will be "tippy" feeling it will have very little rubber in contact with the road, and it will wear the center tread of the tire out pretty quickly.

Folks who have replaced the 140/80-15 tire with a 130/90-15 tire believe it has made a better handling bike.  The bike is relatively light and is only 30 HP.....a much narrower tire can handle the power and weight easily.  I rode my Cafe' version with a 110/80-15 tire for a summer and it works just fine - the bike doesn't need anymore tire than that (does look a bit narrow if you have been looking at sport bikes and cruisers for a while).  The Honda 750-4 has a 110 wide rear tire......and I know my bike doesn't make any more HP or weigh what that bike does.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
irishjake
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/18/15 at 12:19:09

Thanks guys, my main reason for a bigger tire is to raise the back as much as possible as I'm putting on a very low profile solo seat level with the frame and I want to sit fairly level. Sounds like my best bet is with a 140/90/15 with 12 inch shocks. Any comments would be well received or pics of something similar. Thanks

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/18/15 at 13:56:38

I have a Pirelli MT66 140/90-15 and it fits just fine with stock shocks. The 12" shocks should be even taller.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:31:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear tyre

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.