Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain slack adjuster (Read 202 times)
652cafe
YaBB Newbies

A sunny place for shady people
Cam chain slack adjuster
08/18/15 at 04:56:32

I recently bought a 2007 S40 that had been (very nicely) given the Ryca CS-1 treatment. I have put a little over 800 miles on it so far with no problems. I keep reading about the issue with the cam chain tensioner however...my bike is at about 15,000 miles right now. Is this something I should get taken care of right now ? It surprizes me that these bikes would have a single component so widely known to possibly grenade the motor at such a low mileage and yet Suzuki has not addressed it and come up with a fix in almost 30 years of production.

2007 S40/RYCA CS-1 15,000 miles, Verslavy CC Adjuster, Mobil 1 Racing 10w 40.
Horse power is good at the track. Torque is what makes riding on the street FUN !
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cam chain slack adjuster
Reply #1 - 08/18/15 at 05:24:22

The consensus here is that you should check the adjuster somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 miles.  A lot depends on how far you ride when you get on the bike.  If you take lots of short trips you should be checking it closer to 10,000 miles......if you go for hundreds of miles on each ride....then more might be OK.  Several new members recently have just caught their tensioner in the nick of time and avoided expensive damage.

Here is a link for the most information....and where you can buy the modified tensioner from Verslagen.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

Here is another link to recent discussions:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438534586

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438008459

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 05:58:26

And, better safe than sorry,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 08/18/15 at 06:56:03

If you are worried about it then check it, you have enough miles on your bike for it to become an issue.
 My '02 was out 16mm at 10k which was just under the service limit. Put a modified tensioner in and I'm good to go except for loosing the neutral safety light on the tank.  Sad

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
652cafe
YaBB Newbies

A sunny place for shady people
Reply #4 - 08/18/15 at 16:34:38

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it ! The task seems a little more than I would want to tackle myself though. Will probably order the Verslavy and get a local shop to swap it out...I'm in San Diego.

Would I be hearing a lot of noise if it were close to going out, or is it something that goes with no warning ?

2007 S40/RYCA CS-1 15,000 miles, Verslavy CC Adjuster, Mobil 1 Racing 10w 40.
Horse power is good at the track. Torque is what makes riding on the street FUN !
WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 08/18/15 at 20:25:11

Press your heels against the side of the engine. If you can feel an uneven vibration between each side then the tensioner needs to be at least inspected. It should give you plenty of warning before it dies completely. It'll rattle loudly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 08/18/15 at 20:28:07

652cafe wrote on 08/18/15 at 16:34:38:
Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it ! The task seems a little more than I would want to tackle myself though. Will probably order the Verslavy and get a local shop to swap it out...I'm in San Diego.

Would I be hearing a lot of noise if it were close to going out, or is it something that goes with no warning ?

Versy lives in lower cali I believe..... might want to message him and see what he can do for ya. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
agha javed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy
Reply #7 - 08/18/15 at 12:03:12

the solution of chain tensioner problem is not bad. but i would slightly disagree with it.
when you extend the bolt side of plunger by welding an extra piece, you are safe as far as that thing drop will drop down and damage is concerned. but you see there is a slight problem with that and i might be wrong and please correct me if i am. the thing is that the whole chain is stretched a bit, ok? the adjustment is only on one side of the chain, in the photos we can see the chain glide pushes from the left side of the chain, ok? now the problem is the whole adjustment is on one side and that itself alone throws the timing off a little. if the adjustment was on both sides, left and right equally than the timing would be fine. but pushing the timing chain way to long only on one side will definitely effect the overall timing of the engine. therefore i personally would prefer to replace the timing chain rather than pushing it twice as far as it would by modifying the plunger and extending it. in my opinion the better solution would be to make a much better quality timing chain available for the bike. otherwise replace it with the new one already available. again i would say correct me if i am wrong. i also have suzuki boulevard s40 2009 and i will post my pictures too cuz mine too needs fixing

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/18/15 at 13:47:11

Been there, done that...
I've calculated valve timing is affected by 1° for every .010" stretch (as I recall)
This will not affect the performance of the average savage. (although boulevards will carp out and die)   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
MikeCanCU812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/18/15 at 18:15:13

I'm new on here and need one of your adjusters. Is your deal for the two for one still on?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/18/15 at 18:32:25

MikeCanCU812 wrote on 08/18/15 at 18:15:13:
I'm new on here and need one of your adjusters. Is your deal for the two for one still on?

yes, sending mail.

WWW   IP Logged
agha javed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/19/15 at 07:26:20

ok. then it means that this modification is not suitable for boulevard s40. i actually noticed a very obvious drop in performance along with a ticking noice and i suspected the timing chain and when i opened the side cover my plunger was out to its limits although the bike has only done 10000 miles. i will also post picturesverslagen1 wrote on 08/18/15 at 13:47:11:
Been there, done that...
I've calculated valve timing is affected by 1° for every .010" stretch (as I recall)
This will not affect the performance of the average savage. (although boulevards will carp out and die)   Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/19/15 at 07:33:51

agha javed wrote on 08/19/15 at 07:26:20:
ok. then it means that this modification is not suitable for boulevard s40. i actually noticed a very obvious drop in performance along with a ticking noice and i suspected the timing chain and when i opened the side cover my plunger was out to its limits although the bike has only done 10000 miles. i will also post pictures

I was kidding about boulevards, there's no difference.
I've seen plungers about to drop out as low as 6000 miles.
If the PO did mostly 5 miles runs then the mileage on the chain will always be short.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/19/15 at 09:27:35

You know what is really weird about this?  The chain will still be within the factory wear limits when the unmodified tensioner plunger pops out!

So...if the cam chain is in spec, and the cam timing is within reasonable limits, and the bike still runs fine....shouldn't the tensioner be able to go the full distance of the chain wear?

Seems to me that Suzuki should have made a tensioner that has about twice the travel of the stock tensioner...and one that is a bit less aggressive about tightening the chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
agha javed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/20/15 at 02:06:44

here it is what i found when i opened my boulevard 2009 at only 10000 miles

IMG_20150807_163320.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print