Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NHTSA M/C Info (Read 73 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

NHTSA M/C Info
08/17/15 at 11:49:25

An email discussion with some friends prompted me to go look at this.

NHTSA data on M/Cs is sobering. The stats are the stats. They are far more dangerous than cars, period. But the heavy proportion of fatalities goes to: speeding, reckless / aggressive riding, intoxication, heavy and high horsepower (1,000cc +) models, lack of experience and education, no helmet, unlicensed drivers. These things are a choice.

But so is riding in the first place... we know that.

Dallas Morning News reports M/C wrecks and fatalities at the rate of one or more a week in this city of a million people. Almost 100% fit the high risk criteria outlined above.

More than half the time another motorist or motorists are involved and at fault... drunk or reckless/aggressive or texting etc. themselves. But the motorcycle riding factors above still play into the encounters.

And, you know, I (we) are subject to many kinds of "to whom it may concern" death and harm, from falling off ladders to driving in our cages on crowded freeways and streets, to crime, drowning, electrocution, cancer, heart attack, stroke, on and on. What is available to us is caution, due diligence, wits, know-how and what -- good karma. Got us through so far. The day it doesn't, well, who has time for regrets? Life's for living, and for testing ourselves and passing.

Here is the NHTSA M/C safety cover page. There's a paper written for law enforcement here about how to perform motorcycle traffic stops that is interesting and useful to riders. Check that out, too.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/Motorcycles

Safe riding, friends...

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: NHTSA M/C Info
Reply #1 - 08/17/15 at 13:02:58

Through the years I have not known a lot of guys who ride bikes, but out of the ones I've known 4 were in fatal accidents.  Only one was wearing a helmet, he drove his Honda CB350 under a power pole guy-wire that caught him under the chin.  He ran off the road to avoid a car that pulled out in front of him, he was 16. The other three middle aged and all went off the road in solo incidents without helmets and died of head injuries.  Of those three two were Harleys and one was a moped that the guy was checking out for his son. I know lots of people who drive cars but have never personally know one to die or even get seriously injured in a car accident.

The county I live in is fairly rural with lots of nice country roads and most motorcyclists here appear to ride Harleys.  Many of the Harley riders wear no protective gear other than boots and they account for many of the local fatalities.  In the most recent incident a man was riding with his wife on the back, he had no helmet but she did.  There was a collision and he died, she lived.  

Wear a helmet.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 08/17/15 at 16:46:14

I've preached a million times before, ALWAYS be more aware of what's going on around you than the other idiots on the road. It's your own life you're saving. Ride safe!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 08/17/15 at 17:13:08

From your link:

I. No person shall transport a child under age 6 in the bed of a pickup truck (not exceeding ¾ ton). T.C.A. §55-8-189(a).
II. No person shall transport on any interstate defense highway or State highway a child age 6-11 in a pickup truck (not exceeding ¾ ton). T.C.A. §55-8-189(b)(1). Note: A city or county may establish this same prohibition on its roads or highways. T.C.A. §55-8-189(b)(2).

Can't ride in a truck bed under age 6. Can't ride in a truck between 6-11 years old (on the highway). Huh?

So older than 6 can ride in the bed but not in the truck until they are older than 11? Am I reading this right?  Huh

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 08/18/15 at 04:31:17

Kris01 wrote on 08/17/15 at 17:13:08:
From your link:

I. No person shall transport a child under age 6 in the bed of a pickup truck (not exceeding ¾ ton). T.C.A. §55-8-189(a).
II. No person shall transport on any interstate defense highway or State highway a child age 6-11 in a pickup truck (not exceeding ¾ ton). T.C.A. §55-8-189(b)(1). Note: A city or county may establish this same prohibition on its roads or highways. T.C.A. §55-8-189(b)(2).

Can't ride in a truck bed under age 6. Can't ride in a truck between 6-11 years old (on the highway). Huh?

So older than 6 can ride in the bed but not in the truck until they are older than 11? Am I reading this right?  Huh

I think the words "interstate defense highway" tells you the law needs to be updated. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/18/15 at 04:32:42

Most of the bike related problems that I see on the news around here involve speed, alcohol, inexperienced riders......or other vehicles that pull into their path.

A few months ago I went on a poker run.  We started at a bar and drew a card out of a deck and it was recorded on our registration and given back to us.  This took a little while....so lot of drinking occurred.  We then left in a group of about 80 bikes and rode to another bar.  We drew another card...more waiting....more drinking.  This continued for about 3 hours....and 5 stops at bars.  Most likely that will be the last Poker Run I ever attend, as I won't drink when I am riding my motorcycle....and I really am not a fan of the type of neighborhood bars we stopped at (Somehow they smell worse in the heat of the day and look worse in daylight).

There is a group of sport bike riders around here that meet on Saturday/Sunday mornings and go for "too fast" rides.  They bend their license plates up out of sight, then ride fast and lose riders on a regular basis.  Thank goodness when I was young I got my thrills by riding fast in the dirt, where a fall never really caused much more than a scraped elbow and tweaked forks.

A neighbor has a friend that rides an older Harley.....lots of miles, oil seeps on engine, not pretty - but ridden daily to and from work.  The guy is an experienced rider, and he was sitting at a traffic light waiting for his turn.  An old guy in a large car came around the corners and banged into his bike with a corner of the fender/bumper and knocked the biker down onto the pavement....and the car kept going.  The biker does not wear a helmet, and when his head hit the pavement he got a concussion and ended up in the hospital for a week......he most likely would have been fine if he had been wearing a helmet.  They eventually found the old guy in the car - it took a week for them to track him down.

« Last Edit: 08/18/15 at 06:05:03 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/18/15 at 06:07:36

I used to fix cash registers.
(Somehow they smell worse in the heat of the day and look worse in daylight).

Very true. They smell awful . And look like Heck.

I did timeclocks, too. And kitchen printers, I went in restaurants that were highly regarded, I'd never eat there. Filthy, shoes sticking to the floor.
Went in a little chicken shop, THAT side of town,, figured it would be like all the rest,, Nope, middle age dude ran it militarily. EVERY employee addressed each other and each customer as ma'am or sir. The place was clean. I told him what a great job he was doing..I hope his way caught on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:33:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › NHTSA M/C Info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.