Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bang for the buck - what next? (Read 270 times)
wombat1369
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bang for the buck - what next?
Reply #15 - 08/18/15 at 12:55:34

Thanks to all for your input.

The consensus says not much more power to wring out of the bike without spending significant $$ and time. Same with my VW GTI - an ECU upgrade and better air intake gives a good initial bump in torque/HP, but to take it to the next level means replacing the turbo and plumbing, headers/exhaust upgrade, adding oil coolers, etc.  As much as I can picture myself doing serious wrench work with the bike's cam and exhaust port, past experience has shown most of my projects take longer than anticipated. Just ask the wife about any of my 2-hour Saturday morning projects that end-up taking me all weekend.

For now I'll just get a better air filter, mess around with the air box door, and do the white spacer mod. As Tocsik asked, will those mods require a change in the carb jets?

Thanks,
-Wombat1369

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 08/18/15 at 13:11:21

wombat1369 wrote on 08/18/15 at 12:55:34:
For now I'll just get a better air filter, mess around with the air box door, and do the white spacer mod. As Tocsik asked, will those mods require a change in the carb jets?

There is no standard answer to that.  If the bike is borderline lean or rich - then changes may push it over the edge and require a jetting change.  If the mixture is rich and the changes lean it out a bit.....it will actually run better when you are done (and vice versa).

The white spacer mod richens the mid range fuel mixture....and helps a bike that is otherwise stock.  The white spacer mod helped my bike run a lot smoother, and when I test rode a couple of used bikes I could tell they would have benefitted as well....they had the lean surge when accelerating slowly (like riding through a school zone or past the Police station).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/18/15 at 19:15:11

wombat1369 wrote on 08/18/15 at 12:55:34:

Thanks,
-Wombat1369

Dave's right, you'll know after you get it done if you need to change jets.  There's a fair chance you will.  It very easy to do so don't let that stop you.  I might advise you not to drill your air box door.  I would suggest you just remove it.  It accomplishes the same thing while allowing you the option to put things back the way they were.  I'm using the high performance air filter outlined here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744 and my door is off.  I'm quite pleased with the results.  Good luck, take pics, and please report back.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
wombat1369
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/01/15 at 16:14:32

This is where I'm at now:
- Dyna Muffler
- Home made air filter (from provided link)
- Air box door removed
- Idle mixture screw plug removed

That made the bike have the lean surge Dave mentioned. To take care of the surging the white spacer mod is recommended? Does that require removing the carb?

Thanks,
-Wombat1369

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 09/01/15 at 19:24:24

wombat1369 wrote on 09/01/15 at 16:14:32:
To take care of the surging the white spacer mod is recommended? Does that require removing the carb?

Some folks can turn the carb sideways and take the top off and get the slide out.......When I have to work on the needle/spacer I have always just removed the carb so I can work on it easier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 09/01/15 at 19:46:07

Dave wrote on 09/01/15 at 19:24:24:
wombat1369 wrote on 09/01/15 at 16:14:32:
To take care of the surging the white spacer mod is recommended? Does that require removing the carb?

Some folks can turn the carb sideways and take the top off and get the slide out.......When I have to work on the needle/spacer I have always just removed the carb so I can work on it easier.

On a stock bike you can take the top off the carb and pull the slide out, don't even have to turn it.

just have to take the tank and seat off.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bang for the buck - what next?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.