Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I asked my GF for help....... (Read 189 times)
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I asked my GF for help.......
08/16/15 at 21:10:30

So I am in the process of removing the old paint from my 2000 Savage. Went to Lowe's got some stripper and removed the tank and the fairings. Today I was getting ready to tape over the openings of the tank when i got a call from work. I asked my GF to take over for a second. Maybe I should have clariifed, but I meant take over taping. She decided to don my mask, gloves, goggles and go to work spraying the stripper.....no tape covering the gas opening. Sigh........am I SOL and In need of a new tank? Pretty sure if stripper got inside it won't be pretty trying to start it.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I asked my GF for help.......
Reply #1 - 08/16/15 at 21:33:36

I don't think you need a new tank. Clean it out well and go.  What kind of stripper did you get?  I'm thinking clean it out with the gas you drained. In with the gas, agitate and repeat. I would imaging she didn't pour the stripper in the hole.  Do you need to clean it up, yeah Probably. Do you need a new tank, nope. Do you have a cool chick that will get her hands dirty...yep. That's a win.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/17/15 at 06:13:11

It is not a big deal.  Most of the strippers are water soluble....but water rusts the tank.

I would use alcohol, E85 ethanol or acetone and rinse the tank out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/17/15 at 13:11:01

Thank you all very much for the advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/17/15 at 21:00:22

And whatever else you do, Do NOT let that girl get away..
I can't imagine a girlfriend who has enough guts to jump into something like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 08/18/15 at 08:51:13

BTW, be careful handling acetone and all the volatile solvents like xylene, toluene etc. Wear nitrile gloves, don't breathe fumes.

I have used acetone for many years as a fuel additive, multi purpose cleaner, you name it. Great, useful stuff.

I was always careless about getting it on my hands and clothing. What's to worry, it evaporates so fast and completely? Then 5 years ago I contracted lymphoma, a killer blood cancer. After hellish treatments the docs beat it back and I live on. But I learned that the only clear statistical correlation as far as a cause is occupational exposure to volatile solvents and certain pesticides. They apparently have their wonderful solvent effect on DNA strands as well, and human skin and lung tissue are a transparent barrier to the light, hot molecule -- it goes right thru the skin and lung tissue into the bloodstream.

So, use it, but don't get any on ya and don't breathe it. 'Cause lymphoma sucks, and scares the bejesus out of you even if it doesn't kill you, and is blindingly expensive and unpleasant to treat.

Just a heads up to whom it may concern.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/18/15 at 09:16:17

A painter's mask, with replaceable cartridges, available at Lowe's, about thirty bucks. They have activated charcoal in them.
I used 1-1-1 trichloroethane cleaning copiers, wet rag in my palm. After a coupla days, I went home, collapsed into a near coma. Woke up only when hunger pangs were too much to sleep though and nature calls. I grabbed bread, and a glass of milk and fell back asleep. Woke up four days later.
Be careful what you allow yourself to be touched by. Just because someone says it's safe, it might not be safe FOR YOU. Peanut butter is food, right?
Death to some.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 08/18/15 at 11:40:13

In fairness to acetone, because of part time home repair and landscape maintenance work I did for a lot of years, I had exposure to a wide range of solvents and pesticides. Like with a lot of cancers, the MDs couldn't  point a direct finger at any one cause. But I was plenty careless with acetone until I suddenly had to rethink my drink about this kind of thing.

I had a step brother who was an Army tech sergeant in Vietnam, loading Agent Orange. He died 15 years ago from the same kind of lymphoma that hit me. My only point being, there are a lot of unknown effects of chemicals we use that can take a long time for the fuse to burn down and finally undo us. So caution is advised.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/18/15 at 16:21:37

Sage advice, and much appreciated. Got myself thick gloves, eye protection, and a navy issue gas mask. Got everything off and sanded taking it to get painted tomorrow. Now on to the fun part of trying to clean and shine the engine. Any advice on that would be great too.

« Last Edit: 08/18/15 at 18:11:06 by Simpsonj06 »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/18/15 at 18:07:15

I clean my engine with Bike Bright.  Spray it on, use a small paint brush or scrub brush to get where you can't reach easily.  Then rinse it off and then wash it again with a good car wash soap.

IP Logged
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/18/15 at 18:13:28

Thanks dave!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/20/15 at 03:46:32

While we were talking about solvents "not" to use, I recalled that when I was a kid my dad knew a fellow in Warren, Ohio that restored Indian Motorcycles (Gambaccini).  They used Carbon Tetrachloride in their parts washer, and over time the solvent caused him to have liver problems.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/20/15 at 07:50:43

Trichloroethane is really good, but, can cause you to fall into a coma.
Ask me how I know..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/20/15 at 07:55:21

The really scary thing I learned was about the Disc Brake Clean....and why some of them now say "Chlorine Free".

If you spray the old Disc Brake Clean on a hot surface, the rising fumes can be altered into "Chlorine Gas" and it can kill you!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/20/15 at 08:32:59

even scarier...
Quote:
Phosgene is the chemical compound with the formula COCl2. This colorless gas gained infamy as a chemical weapon during World War I where it was responsible for about 85% of the 100,000 deaths caused by chemical weapons. It is also a valued industrial reagent and building block in synthesis of pharmaceuticals and other organic compounds. In low concentrations, its odor resembles freshly cut hay or grass.[5] In addition to its industrial production, small amounts occur naturally from the breakdown and the combustion of organochlorine compounds, such as those used in refrigeration systems.[6] The chemical was named by combining the Greek words 'phos' (meaning light) and genesis (birth); it does not mean it contains any phosphorus (cf. phosphine).Wikipedia.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:32:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I asked my GF for help.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.