Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
100% Electric Savage Build (Read 331 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Re: 100% Electric Savage Build
Reply #30 - 08/20/15 at 13:19:30

Except for the Volt (with internal combustion backup), the Tesla is the most flexible / capable EV... if it fits your lifestyle and you can afford the sticker price.

I hear it's an awesome, fun car. And people who can subsidize these new technologies early, by paying a premium, are paving the way for the rest of us. For that, I tip my hat.

Even the cheap 90 - 100mi range Leaf is great if it works for you.

But I'm where you are, Dave: 2005 Sentra, cost me $10k in 2006, a fleet sale car from Enterprise Rent a Car with 4K miles on it, mint... now with 90K on it, still like new, 34mpg average.

The "right car" is where you find it.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Reply #31 - 08/20/15 at 21:48:24

Maybe... My Tesla ran me 65K out the door.

I don't pay for gas, and have only charged 4 times at home(read paid for electric) in the past 18 months.

day to day, The car costs me as close to nothing as a car can. Up front cost is high, and I'm sure it would suck if you did not frequent areas with free charging, but for me it is a really really cheap car to own. If I have this car for say 8 years total (two years last month) and almost never pay to charge it it will average out to 8K a year.

Now before this I had a 2003 Porsche 911 C4S (purchased new) and that car is the essence of not practical. Pig on premium gas, HUGE and I mean HUGE maintenance costs and a set of $1250 tires every year. No room for people or stuff, allergic to speed bumps and pot holes.
Don't get me wrong but for your only car in Boston, there are better choices, and for me the Tesla was one of them.

So practical compared to your civic, vibe, subaru wagon..... NO but compared to other cars in my "tax bracket" and with similar performance and features to my past vehicles, I think its one of the best.

Its also an awesome conversation starter..... case in point

(If I make the dragon run next year, I will tow the bike down with the Tesla so you all can fall in love too!)

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #32 - 08/20/15 at 22:41:26

And a small tambourine up between your knees for a bit of valve train charisma!  

@Dave
I think that is by far the best comparison to valve train noise on a savage I have heard to date!

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #33 - 08/20/15 at 22:52:10

The final valve noise control is rider leg position.

Knees snug against tank: valve noise low, confidence high.

Knees progressively spread: increasing noise, increasing concern over need for valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner status.

Correct position: knees gently against tank, attention focused on riding conditions.

Wink

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #34 - 08/21/15 at 09:25:26

Dave wrote on 08/20/15 at 13:03:20:
Seriously......You are going to try and convince me that a $ 100,000 car is practical?  We obviously are not in the same tax bracket.

Maybe it's because I'm a car person but I think that practicality in this sense has less to do with the price of the car and more to do with how usable it is on a daily basis. I'd compare it to saying that a Miata is practical because I can pick one up for about $3k, drive it for a couple years, and still sell it for $3k. Is it cheap? Yes. Is it practical if I have a wife, two kids in car seat, and a dog that I need to take road trips with? No.

I for one would take a Tesla in a heartbeat but they are still just a bit out of my price range. My wife and I will probably be trying our hardest to be first on the list for the model 3 when it comes out. We carpool about 15 miles each way for work, dropping off our kids at school on the way so an EV would probably be perfect for us. We have two cars anyway so we would just keep the Subaru Outback for the road trips.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:26:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 100% Electric Savage Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.