Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
100% Electric Savage Build (Read 331 times)
strang

london
Re: 100% Electric Savage Build
Reply #15 - 08/18/15 at 03:30:52

the Rebel version however is god awful

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 08/18/15 at 09:08:47

Kids do the darndest things...   Cheesy

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/18/15 at 11:32:02

WWW   IP Logged
digitaltrucker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/18/15 at 11:47:30

So I read that article about the Victory lekky, and I come away with three main points:

1)  For $20,000 you can roughly the same performance as a $5,000 S40.

2)  Has somewhere around the same comfortable range but takes a LOT longer to 'fill the tank'.

3)  Yeh, it's 'greener' I guess; except that production of the components is harsher on the environment than the old tech of a Savage and the electricity STILL has to come from somewhere (and sorry, but solar and wind aren't a reliable always-on option).

I'll keep my Sav.   Lekkys are fun toys, that's about it.  The sad part is that the three points above apply to pretty much any electric vehicle on the market today.  Until you can recharge a battery in the time it takes to fill a tank they'll never be truly practical.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 08/18/15 at 12:13:15

As someone mentioned earlier......the ability to exchange a used battery for a charged one would be a way to make the electric vehicles more practical.  I worked at a meat processing plant around 1975, and we had battery operated fork lifts.  The fork lifts were plugged into the chargers when we arrived at work - but not all were fully charged or had fresh batteries.  We just went and got our battery exchanged when the things went dead.

The problem is that the batteries in most of these new vehicles are buried deep inside the car, and not easy to replace.

If I lived in a small downtown area, was close to the things I needed, and didn't have to travel far I would consider an electric vehicle.  I would also seriously consider a bicycle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #20 - 08/18/15 at 12:29:14

digitaltrucker wrote on 08/18/15 at 11:47:30:
 The sad part is that the three points above apply to pretty much any electric vehicle on the market today.  Until you can recharge a battery in the time it takes to fill a tank they'll never be truly practical.

Can't help but agree with this. The transportation fleet will end up electric hopefully sooner rather than later. But it's going to take some more big leaps in battery design and in renewables or otherwise zero-carbon base power generation before the desirable effects are realized.

That said, if you ever get a chance to try someone's Chevy Volt, don't miss the opportunity. From a stop, those things pull like stink! Wahoo! I reckon the Tesla 2 seater is even stronger.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 08/18/15 at 20:43:01

Dave's idea on a trailer, has tons of merit. There are small lightweight trailers that can hold up to 300lbs.
So a small generator (I have a harbor freight 800 watt) that can charge a large battery pack in the same trailer, would extend the mileage to get you were you wanted to go.
Sounds like a good experiment, perhaps I will do this... I am in no way an electrical genius, but I know a couple of guys that would find this idea interesting at least.
Not sure how the law would work about towing a trailer with a running generator, even if it was small.
The idea would be to use the trailer with "battery back up" for long trips. Heck you could probably put the batteries in the bottom and some storage for luggage/tools/tent, on top.
I have a motorcycle tow behind, however it is for larger bikes, I don't think the savage would pull it, fully loaded.
And of course you would have to have good brakes.... unless you used the battery back up for electric brakes..... hmmmmmmm.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #22 - 08/19/15 at 00:27:19

The most interesting thing is the rear disc brake!  Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 08/19/15 at 00:47:38

I saw a video of a battery change on a Tesla, it was slightly quicker than filling about a 15 US gallon tank from empty.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 08/19/15 at 01:08:14

Dave wrote on 08/17/15 at 18:23:43:
For longer trips....couldn't I just have a small trailer mounted generator behind the bike?

I think you're taking the piss now.... Grin
I hope so.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #25 - 08/19/15 at 02:02:03

I am thinking, you're going have a perfectly good 650cc gas engine that you took out of the bike lying around anyway, so mount that on the trailer, driving a generator to charge your batteries, and then... here's the genius... hitch a second trailer behind that one, with a large gasoline tank on it to feed the 650cc generator engine. You'd have a hitch on the back of that tanker trailer, too, to attach additional trailers for luggage, spare parts, tools...

People would see you rolling down the street and just be astonished...  Grin

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #26 - 08/19/15 at 02:28:13

... as silly as this sounds, and is, for a motorcycle: if you think about it, it is the way diesel/electric locomotives work. Direct electric drive on the wheels has advantages sufficient to warrant a massive internal combustion engine and fuel supply to spin a generator to drive the electric motors down in the wheel trucks. You don't even bother with batteries, except to start the diesel engine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/19/15 at 04:20:48

On that electric bike website.....the ZERO has headlights mounted sideways.  Evidently he doesn't understand how beam spread pattern functions.

The disc rear brake on the Savage conversion is possible as he has an electric motor for a rear hub.  He doesn't have to deal with our drive hub and belt.

You aren't going to be able to use an 800 watt generator to keep up with the power used at speed.  If you figure that most 250 cc single cylinder motorcycles can go about 60 mph tops, and that the Honda Rebel is listed as 16.1 HP....you are going to need a generator at least that big to keep up a steady pace.  And when you add the weight of the trailer and generator.....it is going to take a bit more power to pull them.  When you stop for rest breaks the generator could keep running to charge the batteries and catch up.  

IP Logged
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Reply #28 - 08/20/15 at 12:26:29

I disagree. I do think EV's are practical. Well for me anyways. I drive a Tesla P85 Model S and with varied driving and the AC on I get about 250miles to the charge. Frequently I will head into town (Boston) and when parked in Boston in EV spots charging is free. I usually charge once a week, for free. When I travel for work, I park and charge at the airport, FREE.

It takes about 30 minutes for an 170miles charge on a supercharger, all over the country and also free. 40 minutes to 80% battery and about 75minutes for a full charge.

I use these on road trips to see the family in PA. I leave the house with a full charge. The total trip is about 350 miles. I usually stop for once for 30 minutes. I stop, plug in. Go the bathroom, grab a snack, and a coffee. use my phone for a few, and I'm off. I do this trip maybe 3x a year.

Lets say your stranded, or at a non EV friendly location. I have included a chart that shows the charging rates for regular standard outlets. While slow, it works. The cable for plugging into these outlets is included with the car.

As a test, I plugged into an outlet(regular) for about 12 hours and got 50-60 miles of charge. Seeing as my average day of commuting is 15miles each way, I can charge my daily commute overnight just like my cell phone.

Now, I don't have another car, I do have the savage and a pedal bike, and some other toys, but this is my only vehicle.

Its really nice, NEVER stopping for gas.... well except for the savage

Its not for everyone, but EV's the Tesla in particular, is more practical than most realize.

charge.PNG

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 08/20/15 at 13:03:20

Seriously......You are going to try and convince me that a $ 100,000 car is practical?  We obviously are not in the same tax bracket.

I drive a 2006 Pontiac Vibe that I paid $ 16,000 for, and I get 32 mpg.  It has 102,000 miles on it, and most likely I will be driving it for another 100,000 or more miles if things go as planned.

With the money I saved by not buying a Tesla, and if gas stays under $ 3.00 a gallon.......I saved enough money to buy gas for a 672,000 mile trip!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:17:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 100% Electric Savage Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.