Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using a tachometer to test idle RPM (Read 68 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Using a tachometer to test idle RPM
08/14/15 at 13:46:21

I have seen the video on the Savage website that lets you hear the sound of the Savage at idle so that you can estimate your bike's RPM at idle speed.  However, I would like to use a tachometer to measure my idle speed.

My questions are:  
  - Have any of you used a tachometer to actually measure your bike's RPM at idle speed?  If so, where/how do you hook up the tachometer on the bike?  
 - Do you have a suggestion on where to buy a tachometer? (I don't want a bike mounted tach, just a tachometer instrument to hook up and test the idle RPM when needed).

As a side:
I have an old tachometer/dwell meter that according to the instructions says to hook up one clip of the tach/dwell meter to the negative coil post of the vehicle (LS650) and the other clip of the instrument to ground.  However, this instrument is so old that it was used in the days of the points and condenser era ... and I don't know how accurate the instructions are for today's modern vehicles.  However, if the instructions are still correct, I don't know where the negative coil post is on the LS650?  Does anyone know where the negative coil post is?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Ron G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Using a tachometer to test idle RPM
Reply #1 - 08/14/15 at 13:58:12

These things are cheap and accurate, and you just need to wrap the wire around the spark plug wire a few times.  You don't have to mount it permanently.

There are lots of different styles and prices on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Hour-Meter-Tachometer-Tach-for-ATV-Motorc...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Using a tachometer to test idle RPM
Reply #2 - 08/15/15 at 00:51:06

What Dave said ↑

These definitely work well and you can use them on your lawnmower, generator, or whatever.  Good to have around.  Wrap the wire around the spark plug wire five times and zip tie...done.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:35:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Using a tachometer to test idle RPM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.