Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: LISTEN UP......!!!!
Reply #30 - 09/16/15 at 07:30:22

Sonny,

What are 3 least likely bikes to get in an accident.

I think I would consider the bike in the number one position for my next ride?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #31 - 09/16/15 at 10:07:43

I do not know, Ken. I read about the S40 and its #4 position somewhere in an article about the S40. It is actuarial data, so NHTSA might have the full list buried somewhere, but the easiest way to find it might be to ask your insurance agent, because the ins. industry uses this info to calculate their rates.

When you get an insurance quote, they are crunching the overall safety record of the vehicle, your age, your driving record, the region and who knows what else.

That is why an 18 year old male in LA with 10 speeding tickets asking for a quote on a Ninja 1000 had better be sitting down!

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #32 - 09/16/15 at 21:23:01

Sonny,

I am past the 18 year old problems with insurance, but I can remember paying through the nose for insurance when I was young.

And again when I was about 35 with a speeding ticket for going a 140 MPH on a long bridge over the Susquehanna River sure adjusted my insurance premiums. LOL It is good to be young and earn a lot of money......

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 09/16/15 at 21:49:56

I'm okay with young and broke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #34 - 09/16/15 at 21:57:55

I'm pretty thrilled with old and still alive.  Wink

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #35 - 09/16/15 at 22:06:08

Back for Kenny:

Across the board NHTSA says motorcycle riders are 30X more likely to be in a fatal accident that cagers. Now, if you consider that most fatal accidents happen when a motorcyclist is speeding, riding recklessly, drunk or drugged, or not paying attention him/herself, then you see that the 30X figure is heavily contributed to by those riders, and therefore skewed away from the cautious, disciplined and clear-thinking ones.

There's no accurate way to calculate the odds for the reckless or careless rider to be in a fatal accident -- the statistics don't cover enough variables --, but starting from the average of 30X, it could be 100X more likely than a cager, 1000X more likely... who knows?

At certain moments with fast wild riding it is easily 1000X. You can feel it. I think that is actually part of the thrill, part of the payoff, that makes people do it.

There's just no doubt that, beyond obvious things like training, experience and proper gear, there is a direct correlation between motorcycle accidents and speed. Watch any of the MC accident compilations on youtube. There are endless left turners and pull-out-from-the-righters and door openers and light runners in cars. But in almost every case the bike is going through an intersection at a speed where he cannot react to the offending car.

Our training is, slow to 25 when crossing an intersection. How many of us do that? What is at play are the simple, unbreakable laws of physics.  

It's cold and analytical of the insurance companies, but high and low rates are what they are for a reason.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #36 - 09/16/15 at 22:26:50

I am going to put one toe on a soapbox and then walk away, but to me it is criminal for mfgrs to build 200mph motorcycles for riding on the street. The predictable result is, a good percentage of buyers are going to use the performance available on those bikes and die doing it.

Laws of physics. These bikes are designed and marketed to go fast and they sell to people who are going to do it. The result is, tombstones, and city auto pounds with sportbikes stacked like cord wood, with the front wheel and forks driven back into the engine and the clip-on bars pointed forward. They hit something solid, unable to slow from high speed. Laws of physics.

It's not worth it, unless a death wish dominates your life.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 09/17/15 at 00:45:11

Oooh GAAAWD,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rolavine
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 09/17/15 at 11:12:26

My last bike was a 160mph FJR1300. I managed to never go that fast, even though the bike showed no signs of distress, whatsoever, in several exploits well above the ton. In addition, the suspension, engine,  and brakes on that bike worked so well, fuel injection created rock stable response to the throttle in conjunction with liquid cooling, so once warm it was always the same response,  the fairing protected you from the blast so well, that these combinations of advantages make the bike safer than my savage at the same speed. Subjectively, I'd say the FJR was as safe as a Savage when it was going 40mph faster. Still leaves you a valid point, but I suppose from a sport bikers point of view they might say that bikes like our savages should be banned as unsafe, under-powered and inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, I love my savage, it's so darned agricultural!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #39 - 09/17/15 at 11:37:23

Rolavine, your point is entirely valid, too. Imagine a Sav with the brakes, suspension and handling of a good literbike. And a taller 5th gear... it would be a better and safer machine.

And it's also true that the weakest link in the chain, with any accident on any bike, is rider behavior.

I guess my idea is limited to, if you sell a machine gun to a monkey, you get a monkey with a machine gun... and when the cordite smoke clears you really wish the monkey'd had a single shot BB gun instead.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #40 - 09/17/15 at 12:28:34

I have a friend in Austin with a BMW K1600. If I enthuse about any other bike he just shakes his head. Far as he's concerned, he's "there", and maybe he's right.

He joyfully rides it all over the continent.

I am pretty much disarmed in any argument about it, except for ribbing him about the money it costs him, which for him is not a factor...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 09/17/15 at 13:59:31

Sonny wrote on 09/17/15 at 12:28:34:
I have a friend in Austin with a BMW K1600.

I am pretty much disarmed in any argument about it, except for ribbing him about the money it costs him.

Around here they tease the BMW folks - cause all their clothes match the bike! Cool

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #42 - 09/17/15 at 14:11:05

Yeah... they're snooty, too.

The old boxer twin long distance riders were cut from strong cloth, some real road dogs. But nowadays a vanishing breed.

That K1600 is as complex as a Swiss watch or an F-35 fighter. I doubt any owner does his/her own wrenching -- it's a dealer $erviced bike. But it is a pinnacle of refinement and performance in its class of bikes. Nice ride if you can afford it.

IP Logged
rolavine
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 09/17/15 at 15:48:28

Sonny wrote on 09/17/15 at 12:28:34:
I have a friend in Austin with a BMW K1600. If I enthuse about any other bike he just shakes his head. Far as he's concerned, he's "there", and maybe he's right.

He joyfully rides it all over the continent.

I am pretty much disarmed in any argument about it, except for ribbing him about the money it costs him, which for him is not a factor...

rolavine...

I remember one day on my 50 mile curvy rural ride home from work I ended up behind a fellow and his girl, on a brand new BMW R bike with brand new shiny gear. He was incapable of keeping his rig on it's side of the road even though going pretty slow. I considered passing him on my Yamaha Majesty Scooter, but instead stayed behind while reviewing first aid and CPR. This friend of yours is prob a fantastic rider, and the K1600 is a hella bike, but the rider makes all the difference in the world.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #44 - 09/22/15 at 07:51:09

I owned an R1, sportster 1200 and a Savage all at once and the insurance for a 37 ya old male in a decent zip code went as follows
R1 $212 a month
Harley $103 a month
Savage $265 a year

Needless to say I didn't keep the R1 for very long. All the bikes had the same coverage and it was not the minimum required by California. Best part was I rode the most aggressive while on the savage due to its narrow lane split abilities.

Insurance is a pretty new thing to me since I moved to Cali. Though I lived in Alabama I was on the border to Florida and worked in florida so I had my bikes registered there so I didn't have to have insurance. You just had good health insurance and rode more aware knowing if you wrecked it was your dollar

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:20:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › LISTEN UP......!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.