Send Topic Print
LISTEN UP......!!!! (Read 395 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: LISTEN UP......!!!!
Reply #15 - 08/16/15 at 09:47:49

Yeah, I gave the bike a "once over". No damage. I'll call the city Monday morning. That's pretty unsafe. It might be 3 years before they do anything about it though.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/16/15 at 09:48:54

Kris01 wrote on 08/16/15 at 09:47:49:
Yeah, I gave the bike a "once over". No damage. I'll call the city Monday morning. That's pretty unsafe. It might be 3 years before they do anything about it though.

They should at least paint the curb white.

WWW   IP Logged
2rr2nv
YaBB Newbies

Box Elder, SD
Reply #17 - 08/20/15 at 17:15:16

personally, it's mainly about the rider. some bikes can help or hurt in certain situations, but the rider makes the most difference. case in point, I ride the quickest production bike on the planet and I'm still around. Owned a Busa for 28k miles (and that includes riding in the winter) and not a single incident. I recall a few folks that said I would be dead within a week or two of buying the Busa. gee, still here folks.

Now, my wife's bike is definitely a different animal so I adjust to it. yeah, brakes aren't as good, cornering isn't as good, etc, so I give myself more room/time/viewing area to ride safely and get to where I'm going. Yeah, people that are hauling butt or being inattentive (like not planning for the worst) will more than likely wreck or worse. I hope not. just saying.

It's not what ya ride, it's THAT you ride. and ride safely!!!

Good luck to you all and Enjoy!!

Scot "Z"

If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #18 - 08/21/15 at 17:40:49

I hear about it a lot too. thankfully most people in my area are cruiser riders and just stick to being the loudest.

I had my run in with a vehicle merging into the road after this elderly woman had even stared right at me and I guess it didnt register that I was there. Payed attention even though the speed limit was roughly 25 and I was maybe 20 feet from her when she just started pulling into the road. instinctively from bicycles I just grabbed my levers as if they were both breaks and it had been raining. front wheel locked up and slammed me to the ground and I skidded about 7-8 feet when I stopped still in a bike riding position on my right side Lol. personally id rather go through that dump again than be stupid and T-boning a car. Although it was fine afterwards. she freaked out as well as other drivers.

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #19 - 08/21/15 at 18:00:55

One bonus for an open-faced helmet is that you can shout very loud!!

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 08/23/15 at 17:03:32

I'm with you there,you know? While I'd hate to go down the road in an open face, if the drivers can see your face, maybe it reminds them that there's a real human person they're about to kill,instead of a robot or something in the full face. I don't know. But they seem to somehow be able to see you better if they can see a face. Something about the brain being hard wired to see faces: you know how you see faces in clouds, Jesus in the toast,that kind of thing?

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #21 - 08/23/15 at 17:51:54

Here's another question. I've owned a black LS650 over the years. Lately, I added a white S40 to the garage.

Riding city traffic with lots of left turners and cars waiting at stop signs to the right, I have a strong impression from observing driver heads and faces (and behavior) that they see the white bike better.

Is the white paint more visible? Are they seeing it and focusing in or double-taking to see if it is a police motorcycle?

I don't know. It does occur to me though, that a motorist may quickly glance and see a bike, but not register it... it being smaller than a car and its distance harder to judge. Even for me, I have to hold my attention for a full second or so, say on a bike coming up in a side mirror, in order to digest its distance, speed, and relation to me.

For protection from cagers, it's good to have some way to go beyond being in their visual sweep, and to actually cause their eye to stop on you for a moment of "Huh?" if possible.

Impractical, I know, but taking gizzo's point above, I'll bet if you rode with long hair and beard, white robes and desert sandals, maybe with a coat hanger holding a white LED halo over your head, everybody would see you, and look at you for a good long time. Just sayin'.

Triggering a double take is clearly the idea behind the various blinking and pulsating headlights and brake lights available.

High-viz lime green safety vests have the same purpose, but I swear, orange and lime traffic painted objects have become so common that people may have become numb to them.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
2rr2nv
YaBB Newbies

Box Elder, SD
Reply #22 - 08/23/15 at 18:12:37

I've worn Hi-Viz Yellow jackets/suits, etc and it really depends on the other folks. Can't count on the gear to make sure people notice you. Yes it helps, but I never rely on it. I expect people to not see me and adjust riding to that purpose. Heck, I got pulled over going through the main AF base gate, wearing Hi-Viz yellow jacket. after I was directed where to park (no idea why I was singled out), the officer then informed me that I need to wear brightly colored/high contrasting gear while riding. I looked at him, down at my jacket, and then back at him like "WTF???" he THEN noticed what I was wearing and told me to proceed onward. REALLY???

Personally, whatever helps you ride safe, is priceless. whether it's colors, speed, yelling, horns, etc, if it means you get to ride another day, then so be it.

Be safe folks. those cagers never truly see you until it's too late.

Scot "Z"

If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/23/15 at 18:22:38

If you are concerned that you're not being seen, take action. Be Seen.
I've explained how several times, if you haven't seen it, ask, I'll do it again, but I think we should have a defensive driving techniques sticky.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 08/23/15 at 19:34:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/23/15 at 18:22:38:
If you are concerned that you're not being seen, take action. Be Seen.

That's your best course of action. Don't put yourself in harm's way and always make sure you do your best to be visible. Your life is your responsibility!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 08/23/15 at 19:49:12

What do you suggest?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #26 - 08/25/15 at 17:08:30

I ride each ride as defensively as I can, yet
I still do my best to enjoy the ride.
I leave here about 2:45 a.m. 3 days per week,
4:45 a.m. the other 2 days.
Their is virtually no traffic going, then
on the return trip home their is traffic
to contend with.
I try and not get caught up in the flow.
Their is road construction going on here
in our small town. Steel plates, pavement
uneven and several places where the entire
lane on both sides have been cut thru and
a nasty job of paving over it Angry  Angry.
Lots of impatient folks as this is 2 lane and
gets very busy.
I am on guard every sec and still have near misses.
I watch tires, people faces and just assume that the
one may turn out in front of as well as left in front
of me.
When coming to a stop or slowing down, I pump the
brake and it seems to give the person behind me some
notice that I will be stopping or slowing down more.
I also ride side to side in my lane so I don't become a
fixation to the person behind me.
We do our best and I hope that others remain safe and
get to their destinations and return home safe.
Hugs to all.... Kiss Kiss Kim, Shadow and Genie

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 08/25/15 at 18:02:08

The thing that can drive you nuts in traffic is, with left turners and people on the right at stop signs or pulling out of parking lots/spaces, you can study them and prepare possible escape routes all you want, but there is a time window -- usually about one second from the car moving until you hit it -- when you are exposed. The only way to shrink the window is to control speed and be ready to swerve and or lock up brakes instantly, not after taking time to grab for them.

But still there's that little second where the laws of physics can't be overcome...

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 08/25/15 at 20:02:46

The top edge of a tire moves faster than the bumper.
Change lane position. More than one time if not certain that they see you.
Flip headlight from low to high and back.. the
Pass button is great, if your bike has one.
Don't lead a line of cars and don't be at the end.

IP Logged
rolavine
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/15/15 at 20:01:06

Sonny wrote on 08/13/15 at 18:20:45:
Actuarial data is telling us something. My liability card in Texas is $100 per year (I am in my early 60s -- that figures in.)

The Savage is currently the 4th least likely to be in an accident of all M/C models sold in the US. That is a lot of different motorcycles to be near the top of, safety-wise.

Okay. It isn't because of having the best braking or handling. It's partly because its speed is limited. It isn't because it is particularly easy to see, because it isn't.

A lot of it must be because of the relatively older age and maturity of the owners compared to the crotch rocket class. And because of their different motivations and style of riding.

It is safer compared to heavy cruisers partly because of its light weight and maneuverability.  

We may assume that a disproportionate number of Savage accidents occur on stripped, bobbed, performance enhanced ones -- not all of them but the ones that are ridden at the balls-out limits of their performance.

The rest of them, not ridden like today is a good day to die, would be by definition even safer than the #4 slot on the full list of bikes.

So, darn straight: let's be careful and be mindful of the liability of a relatively small, hard to see motorcycle when someone is texting, drinking a Big Gulp, applying makeup and making a left on red.

But if you ride a M/C, your safety odds on a Savage are better than they are on most bikes. And that's a good thing. Not worth being complacent about but still a good thing.

I think the number of miles put on is a huge factor, I once read that the safest place to ride a motorcycle in the US based on fatalities was February in Wisconsin.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:28:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › LISTEN UP......!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.