Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking to join the club (Read 85 times)
BobNWeave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking to join the club
08/13/15 at 12:16:56

Hello everyone, I'm looking at getting my first personal bike this weekend and it'll be the first time I've been riding in a good 5-6 years since I putzing around on a buddies cbr600 in college. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'5 and about 275 and was looking at the bike in the link below. I know it's not going to be quite as zippy and all that as the cbr but I'm looking for something calmer and easier going anyway. I'm just wondering if you guys with experience on these bikes think this is a good deal and what you suggest I really check out when I see it this weekend. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!  Grin

IP Logged
BobNWeave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Looking to join the club
Reply #1 - 08/13/15 at 12:17:50

and now here's the link hopefully

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/5167874029.html

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Reply #2 - 08/13/15 at 12:45:53

At 6'5", your knees may very well be touching your elbows while riding.  

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 08/13/15 at 13:13:41

squiggy wrote on 08/13/15 at 12:45:53:

It's not that bad, it is an easy swap for a set of drag or tracker style bars. I'm 6'6" 210lbs and can honestly say the only major downside is the coxis, with longer legs you do end up on the rear of the seat, and the older split seat (harder towards the rear) does get you a bit sore.
Personally I wouldn't go for a modified LS650, it's maybe $200 up for a near stock well cared for unit, which you know hasn't been thrashed.

IP Logged
BobNWeave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/13/15 at 13:27:04

Quote:

I only have a 34 inch inseam so most of my height is in my torso, do you think I'll still be somewhat cramped?

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't go for a modified LS650, it's maybe $200 up for a near stock well cared for unit, which you know hasn't been thrashed.

From what I can tell from talking to the guy so far, all he's done to it is put on the jardine pipes, new bars and bobbed the back fender. Should I be that worried about modifications like that?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 08/13/15 at 13:57:57

You could always see if anyone has the 6" or 4" forward control systems for sale.
I purchased the 4" forward controls, had to extend the brake light harness, but it is a much more comfortable ride (I have a 30" inseam)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
BobNWeave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/15 at 14:07:25

Would those be very hard to make myself? I have access to a machine shop and any scrap I need at work.

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Reply #7 - 08/13/15 at 14:08:37

[quote author=725F527E6755514655300 link=1439493416/0#4 date=1439497624] Quote:

I only have a 34 inch inseam so most of my height is in my torso, do you think I'll still be somewhat cramped?

With some forward controls and different handle bars, you would be alright.  I am only 5'4" with a 29" inseam and feel like I am riding a scooter when I am on it. That could be a perspective issue since my main bike is a Honda Fury though.

Take note that it is missing the front fender as well...not something I am sure I would want to be without.

IP Logged
BobNWeave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/15 at 14:30:11

Alright that doesn't sound too bad then. And when I asked he said he has all the stock parts  (seat, fender... ect) that he removed and they'll come with the bike.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 08/13/15 at 16:05:58

If you prefer the Bobber style, fine, I would contemplate replacing the front fender as I have been told it acts as a fork brace in a very minor way. Might also help with wet weather visibility.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/13/15 at 16:12:55

Personally, I never understood the mindset of buying a bike (or car or boat or lawnmower or...) with the thought in mind that you were going to make changes to it so that it "fit" you better. Why not just buy what fits in the first place?

I came to be a Savage owner by accident. I was looking for a mid-range beginner/intermediate cruiser and found a deal that I couldnt pass up. Before the Savage purchase, I was looking at Honda VLX600's and Suzuki Intruders. Bikes that fit my 5'11" /195 frame a bit better than the typical Honda Rebel or Virago 250.

The Savage (or the S40) is not the best bike available in it's class, but it certainly is not the worst. It's a Thumper which holds a special place in many an old biker's heart, it's simple to work on with basic tools, and it is (for the most part) very rugged. It is very customizable if that happens to be your thing. Parts are cheaper than the Honda, Virago and Kawasaki Vulcan's of the same class. It is the lightest bike in it's peer group, making it nimble at slow speeds and easy for new/smaller riders to handle.

If I had money to burn and had to do it all over again, I probably wouldnt have bought a Savage. That being said, I have come to LOVE my little 650cc Thumper with all of her great attributes as well as her quirks. Would I trade her for a Honda VLX or Kawasaki Vulcan of similar worth? Not a chance. Like that scrappy mutt you saved from the shelter, she is MINE now and she has taken on part of my personality.

If you have read through a bunch of these pages and some online reviews and WANT to buy a Savage, then buy it. If you have a choice between several different bikes, try them out at a local dealership. Sit on them. Feel them out for fit. Look them over carefully. Decide on what you WANT.
If the Savage you are looking at is the only real option you have (due to lack of funds or it being a really good deal), then you have to decide if this Thumper is a good fit for you (and not just in terms of height and weight). Personally, I dont think you will regret it. A Savage is a fine machine when set up properly and is the perfect size for a rider who likes to cruise calmly and doesnt need the " 120 mph in 15 seconds" adrenaline rush.

The above is just my personal opinion. I'm no expert by ANY means. Your mileage may vary.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 08/13/15 at 16:50:50

BobNWeave wrote on 08/13/15 at 14:07:25:
Would those be very hard to make myself? I have access to a machine shop and any scrap I need at work.

Nope, not hard to build them if you have something to cut the aluminum with, or steel, or whatever metal you choose to use.

I still need to install a small shim on my left side and drill a hole to bolt it in. Mind you it still fits and serves it purpose, but it gives a little too much when putting the kickstand down in my opinion, so I will eventually make it more solid.
Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:24:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking to join the club

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.