Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar vibration dampening ideas needed. (Read 87 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Handlebar vibration dampening ideas needed.
08/13/15 at 04:34:16

I have a chopper kit on my bike and the triple tree does not have any dampening grommets for the handlebar risers, so the engine vibration can be annoying after a while. I have Iso Grips on it, which help some.
Any ideas? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Handlebar vibration dampening ideas needed.
Reply #1 - 08/13/15 at 05:05:37

The stock setup had the rubber dampers in the risers, and it had handlebars with heavy steel slugs in the ends to reduce the vibration in the handlebars.

Although you may not be able to directly bolt in the dampers from the Savage - You might be able to reproduce the effect by making some larger holes in the upper yoke and using rubber tubing to insulate the bolt, and rubber washers and the steel washers from the original risers mounts.

If you no longer have the stock bars with the weighted ends - you can epoxy some steel bars inside.  Some have also suggested filling the handlebars with lead or steel shot.....however I don't know if there is any reason to fill up the entire handlebar....or just the ends where the grips are located.

There are also some isolators/dampers that bolt between the risers and the handlebars and provide some vibration relief, as well as proving some adjustment to the position of the handlebars.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-604 

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rox-anti-vibration-elite-2-pivot-risers

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=1708

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp50006.html

http://www.fasstco.com/product/anti-vibration-inserts

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #2 - 08/14/15 at 09:37:24

My 87 has the stright bars that, oddly enough, did not have the bar end weights. So, I hammered in a rubber stopper, filled my bar with lead shot, thumped it with a rubber mallet, and drove another rubber plug into the other end.

Vibrations are a lot less than before, and get reduced further with the ISO grips and my gloves. Yes, gloves make a difference.

Another option would be to just get some bar-end weights and install them. There's only so many things you can do to lessen vibration, put an absorber in between the tree and the bars, add weight to the bars, put an absorber in the bars, gel type or at least good rubber grips, and good gloves.

It's a thumper... she's gonna shake!

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/14/15 at 11:35:14

Gloves with gel pads in the palm , available at Lowe's. They help on the weed eater. Work on your grip. Early on I saw a difference between left and right hand discomfort. With time and practice I learned to lighten up grip,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/14/15 at 12:32:32

Like JOG said, if you think a thumper is bad, try holding a weed eater for a while!

I've heard nothing but good about the Isogrips. What makes them special?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 08/14/15 at 13:03:34

Both internal and external handlebar weights are available, you just have to look around. The internal types act like wall anchors...with a bolt through the middle that you tighten to keep it in place. The external types I'm sure you've seen....just heavy weighted end caps.

My little Honda Nighthawk 250 has both the internal weights and the weighted end caps. The bike is dang near undrivable without them.

I did a quick Google search for "handlebar vibration isolators" and got over 50K hits. What I generally do when I'm looking for something but not quite sure what it "is" (if that makes sense) is I turn on the Images after a Google search and look at all of the pretty pictures. Something usually pops up where I say " hmmm, I can make that work".

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar vibration dampening ideas needed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.