Tuning in Ireland (Read 102 times)
ciath
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tuning in Ireland
08/11/15 at 13:51:25

Hi All,

Very new to working on my own bike here so please excuse my ignorance. I live in Ireland. I have added a Harley Sportster Muffler and a cone air filter, swapped out the chain tensioner for one of verlagens on my Savage. The engine is a 1998 Bottom end with a 1993 top. In the process of jetting I found that each pilot jet I used from  Lancers kit made the bike harder to start or adjusting the mixture screw made no difference. In the end I decided to go with a 47.5 pilot jet (stock) and swap out my stock 130 main jet for a 150. Trying to find the right level now between 2 1/4 and 2 3/4 turns out.

I am just wondering is it normal to have to use the stock pilot jet and is there anything I should be doing?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tuning in Ireland
Reply #1 - 08/11/15 at 14:32:00

It's not usual,... but every bike is different...
You'll get better mpg with the stock pilot, so if it runs good,...
...that's a win win... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/11/15 at 14:33:05

Yes, I use the stock pilot, but I'm quite sure it varies.

I not a fan of the cone filter, has to be done right and makes it harder to tune.

check the inside of the filter, if it has a big square lip on the inside that butts up against the carb, it's not a good one to use with the stock carb as it blocks off a separate inlet at the top.

I recommend using the stock air box duct (or similar length) with any add on air filter as it prevents the aforementioned problem and provides a calmer air flow to the carb.  This will also make it easier to tune.

WWW   IP Logged
ciath
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/15 at 14:38:08

Ok. Thank you for the quick reply. As soon as I get around to insuring the bike Ill ride it for a week and let you know how I get on. I may look into a better filter. Is there anything you recommend? Brand and size? Currently I just have a cheap ebay cone filter on to the end of the carb, I trimmed the rubber on the filter so its not blocking the separate inlet. I have removed the stock airbox and unfortunately I cant revert to it now as it accidentally  Roll Eyes got damaged.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/11/15 at 16:30:43

ciath wrote on 08/11/15 at 14:38:08:
I have removed the stock airbox and unfortunately I cant revert to it now as it accidentally  Roll Eyes got damaged.

So you backed your Land Rover over it didja? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ciath
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/15 at 16:37:06

Well no haha unfortunately no Land Rover or anything big really around my place. To be honest I didnt like the look of it so I wanted it gone so I just had a hole straight through and when gentle persuasion failed to get it out I resorted to aggressive persuasion which did eventually get it out but I had to break the plastic on one of the mounts as the bolt was stripped, bike had been mucked around with alot before I ended up with it.  I could dig it out of the back of the shed and fix it but id prefer leave it out if possible.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 08/11/15 at 19:48:42

You had a 130 main? That seems REALLY small!

BTW, I've traced my family back to the late 1590's to Armagh County. Welcome!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/12/15 at 07:35:10

If your pilot screw is out to 2 1/4-2 3/4 turns out, then you should go up to a #50 pilot at least; perhaps even the #52.5 if necessary.
Remember, you are looking for a pilot jet that will yield a pilot screw setting of 1-1 1/2 turns out and that giving you the highest rpm.
Then adjusting the idle screw for correct idle rpm of about 1000-1100.

You said that adjusting the idle screw made no difference; was that the idle did not change at all, or that it just kept going up, or kept going down, or ....NEED MORE DETAIL.

With the stock pilot jet, is the pilot screw responding to adjustments ?  
That seems to be what I'm hearing from you.
If so, then it should also respond to the #50 or #52.5 pilot jets as well.

IP Logged
ciath
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/15 at 18:51:36

With the stock pilot jet the bike starts no problem at about 2 1/2 turns out. When I installed the 50 pilot jet the bike was darn near impossible to get started, kept turning turning then attempt to start and die and turning turning etc until the battery ran dead. It was the same for the 52.5 and the 55. I started at the highest and worked backwards. I had it running with the 50 and the 52.5 after alot of fiddling with the mixture screw but I had to give it plenty of throttle in order to take off. If I didnt roll on over 1/4 throttle the bike would just die when I left the clutch out so I came to the conclusion that I was running too rich? I do not have a tach to tell me the RPM and I am no to all this so no idea how to guess. Just adjusted the idle screw until it sounded fast and healthy. Its about half way screwed down. When I was adjusting with any jet other than the 47.5 stock jet I could not notice the engine speeding up or slowing down. Sorry for being such a noob here. I am only 19 and Computer Repairs and Electrical is my main line of work.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/14/15 at 07:51:43

When you installed the #50 pilot, did you turn the pilot screw back to the 1 1/2 turns out position, as a starting point for retuning ?
If not, then you need to do so.  You should return to the 1 1/2 turns out position each time you change the pilot jet, then adjust as needed to find the point at which the rpm is greatest.
This gives you a "known" reference point from which to judge changes when making jet and tuning adjustments.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 08/14/15 at 12:36:32

Also, when tuning the pilot screw, adjust your idle speed lower than normal. It makes it easier to hear a difference in the idle quality when you turn the pilot screw. Don't forget to adjust your idle speed back up to around 1100 or so.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/14/15 at 15:34:57

Kris01 wrote on 08/14/15 at 12:36:32:
Also, when tuning the pilot screw, adjust your idle speed lower than normal. It makes it easier to hear a difference in the idle quality when you turn the pilot screw. Don't forget to adjust your idle speed back up to around 1100 or so.

I guess it depends on your "ear".  I like to turn the idle up slightly because I think it picks up the fuel a little better that way, and makes it easier for me to hear the changes in rpm as you adjust the pilot screw.
Bottom line ... whatever works best for you.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 08/15/15 at 08:27:57

Just a word of caution (I know you know this, Lancer), if you turn the idle up too high, you'll get into the "midrange zone" and won't be able to tune the pilot. You'll be running off the needle jet. The pilot screw won't affect that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:31:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning in Ireland

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.